ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Nice spin put on ALS ice bucket challenge

The point of the ice bucket challenge is to get people more aware of ALS so they can go donate to it. And, naturally, that becomes less effective as everyone does the same thing over and over again. That doesn't apply to this guy. He did a good job of making it a little more original.

Link to original page on YouTube.

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #3
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
awesome

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #4
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Riding With Tom - Aussie Style

ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
mmm that there is some quality duct tape

this is so close to my idea, and also more awesome. If/When I get challenged to do it I'll just have someone empty out an ice bucket into me while I ride through it...no wheelie

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
Riding With Tom - Aussie Style

ftfy

Old August 26th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post

this is so close to my idea, and also more awesome. If/When I get challenged to do it I'll just have someone empty out an ice bucket into me while I ride through it...no wheelie

This is what I did yesterday. I feel like I should share my video now. Mmmmmm. Until then. Enjoy this screen shot of me. Haha. My friend hit me with the bucket and I learned that ice hurts at 30mph.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ATG:

Quote:
Approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year. The incidence of ALS is two per 100,000 people, and it is estimated that as many as 30,000 Americans may have the disease at any given time.
from the CDC:

Quote:
Chronic Diseases: The Leading Causes of Death and Disability in the United States
Chronic diseases and conditions—such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and arthritis—are among the most common, costly, and preventable of all health problems.
As of 2012, about half of all adults—117 million people—have one or more chronic health conditions. One of four adults has two or more chronic health conditions.1
Seven of the top 10 causes of death in 2010 were chronic diseases. Two of these chronic diseases—heart disease and cancer—together accounted for nearly 48% of all deaths.2

Obesity is a serious health concern. During 2009*–2010, more than one-third of adults, or about 78 million people, were obese (defined as body mass index [BMI] ≥30 kg/m2). Nearly one of five youths aged 2–19 years was obese (BMI ≥95th percentile).3

Arthritis is the most common cause of disability.4 Of the 53 million adults with a doctor diagnosis of arthritis, more than 22 million say arthritis causes them to have trouble with their usual activities.5

Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, lower limb amputations other than those caused by injury, and new cases of blindness among adults.6
just some perspective.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #9
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
just some perspective.
I used to be obese and you know what I did to cure myself? I wanted to lose weight badly enough to where I actually did something about it. That's the only cure; lifestyle changes. You can't just diet for a few weeks then go back to eating like Buddy the Elf.

Unless you've got hyperthyroidism, depression, a hormone imbalance, or some other issue out of your control, your obesity is just a result of not wanting to lose weight badly enough.

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i read somewhere that most obese people in this country get less than an hour of exercise per year. and that sweating from physical labor is basically non-existent.

which is healthier? being addicted to working out, or being addicted to gorging yourself on food every day

what about depression? its a similar mental health issue in my opinion. does not getting over a depression simply mean that someone didn't want to be happy enough?

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
i read somewhere that most obese people in this country get less than an hour of exercise per year. and that sweating from physical labor is basically non-existent.

which is healthier? being addicted to working out, or being addicted to gorging yourself on food every day
Neither realy.

They'll just kill you in different ways.

Quote:
what about depression? its a similar mental health issue in my opinion. does not getting over a depression simply mean that someone didn't want to be happy enough?
That is a mental disorder. Wish it was that easy to cure...

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

I use to kind of have a strange outlook on depression. I would consider myself mildly depressed when I was younger but after I got older I realized I was the cause of that depression and I could have handled it better. I started to think most depression cases were similar until...

I got put on some antibiotics for something a few years back?? can't remember what. Took them for 3 days then I started to get crazy depressed for no reason, after a few more days I shut down for a while, didn't want to talk to anyone, contemplated a lot of crazy stuff that is very atypical of myself, it was bizarre to say the least, Once it got that bad I knew right away it was the antibiotics and I quit taking them, it took me another few days get back to normal. But after that I was like Wow, chemical imbalance is some serious ****

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
That is a mental disorder.
so are eating disorders. anorexia and bulimia are not the only eating disorders. binge eating, compulsive overeating. some people have body dysmorphia and think they are of average or even underweight or in only minor poor health or relatively good health when they are significantly overweight. many people use candy and sweets as rewards for themselves (probably carry-over from when they were children and their parents would reward them with treats) the difference is that obesity is all but guaranteed to cause health issues where depression doesn't always lead to physical health issues.

Old August 26th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #14
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
so are eating disorders. anorexia and bulimia are not the only eating disorders. binge eating, compulsive overeating. some people have body dysmorphia and think they are of average or even underweight or in only minor poor health or relatively good health when they are significantly overweight. many people use candy and sweets as rewards for themselves (probably carry-over from when they were children and their parents would reward them with treats) the difference is that obesity is all but guaranteed to cause health issues where depression doesn't always lead to physical health issues.
i didn't say they weren't. i've seen them in action and its some scary stuff.

I should have said "another" mental disorder.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 26th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I use to kind of have a strange outlook on depression.
i have struggled with depression since i was a little kid. what i have come to understand is that... you must have purpose in life. without purpose, you have no reason to exist. without justification to exist, there is no drive or will to continue doing so. so you must find your purpose in life. you must understand your own personal justification for existence. without understanding why you should exist, you can't reject the notion that you shouldn't exist.

Old August 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #16
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Alright, alright. I didn't consider people who have food addictions, or the cultural aspect of it. It's difficult for me to sympathize because my experience with obesity was different than most. But, I'd be careful with that whole body dismorphia thing. A lot of people are happy with being fat and don't care about the health issues with it, and they take it personally when you say they have a mental disorder.

But, getting back on topic, the ice bucket challenge = philanthropy. That's all there is to it. It's money going towards a cause, to try to make someone else's life less of a living hell. There are other causes I wish had the attention of the current ALS campaign, but philanthropy is philanthropy.

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Here it is folks! Haha

Link to original page on Vimeo.

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #18
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #19
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
i have struggled with depression since i was a little kid. what i have come to understand is that... you must have purpose in life. without purpose, you have no reason to exist. without justification to exist, there is no drive or will to continue doing so. so you must find your purpose in life. you must understand your own personal justification for existence. without understanding why you should exist, you can't reject the notion that you shouldn't exist.
Worded very nicely. +3
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Lol, that's my bud Jake! I haven't talked to him in years, he's a pretty funny guy, really chill never fights with anyone. Crazy though with them wheelies.

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #21
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Those are words we should all live by. Literally.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Neither realy.

They'll just kill you in different ways.
really, how does working out too much kill you, so long as you eat properly and don't strain your body to the point where it breaks you should be good to go

@Jono, that sumo looks hella fun I've got to get me one of those someday
does the kawi version come street legal?

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #23
Jono

@Sirref It is hella fun! Much more so than the ninja 250's. And yup! The sumo version of the KLX250S was made for 2 years 09-10. IMO it's better than the ninjette in every way but highway travel. Better suspension, brakes, gas mileage, cheaper to insure, crashes very well, and it's just FUN!

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
If anything happens to my N300 I'll be hard torn between a sumo and a supersport

someday I'll have both sumo's aren't terribly expensive

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #25
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

27% goes to research... and 19% goes to helping peope who are affected now, and 32% goes to increasing awareness and education, for a total of more than 78% going toward helping people who have, or will have, ALS. The other 21% goes to paying the people who are providing these services (which you need to do, if you want the services to continue) and raising more money (you know, to pay for more services).
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #26
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
really, how does working out too much kill you, so long as you eat properly and don't strain your body to the point where it breaks you should be good to go
I'm not a doctor, I would have to do some research on it.

But I've heard of some horror stories about people who work out to the extreme. The problem is the extreme cases don't eat properly. So they don't get or replenish the nutrients they need.

Again, not a doctor but that is my understanding.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 27th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #27
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
ah, I can see that

use more energy than you take in and bam, you're screwed

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #28
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
27% goes to research... and 19% goes to helping peope who are affected now, and 32% goes to increasing awareness and education, for a total of more than 78% going toward helping people who have, or will have, ALS. The other 21% goes to paying the people who are providing these services (which you need to do, if you want the services to continue) and raising more money (you know, to pay for more services).
so what do they do when they see a huge surge in donations? Give everyone that works there a raise?

We made 11 million 2 months, since 21% goes to paying people you all now make $300k!!

I would rather see a different split up. more like 60% to people affected,

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 27th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
http://imgur.com/hyU8ohq

Old August 27th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #30
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
People love there Moms

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote