ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Female riders, does this happen to you?

I've just recently started riding again, after a 25 year hiatus. Back then, I was young and stupid, and safety was almost of no concern; the only gear I wore was a helmet, and that was only because it was the law. Other drivers? WHAT other drivers?

A nasty crash (with a left-turning car) taught me a hard lesson, and caused me to stay off bikes for all that time, so now with my Ninja, I consider myself a beginner, and a slightly paranoid one at that. To put it delicately, cars scare the sh*t out of me. So of course, I try to avoid them.

Which brings me, finally, to my topic. I can't seem to get away from cars! There's always some driver that wants to keep right alongside me, looking at my bike. It's usually a guy, or a guy and his buddies. I guess a female riding a sport bike IS rare, and a 47 year old on one is rarer still, and while I appreciate the attention, holy crap! Not to mention the fact that, as they're driving beside me, no doubt elbowing each other and snickering, they're NOT WATCHING THE ROAD!

Anyone else have this problem, or do I just look THAT ridiculous?

For that matter: male riders, does this happen to you too?
DRivero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I am so glad that guys don't drive beside and elbow each other, but this is California I'm guessing that you have long hair and it shows coming out from under your helmet. The only thing that I can suggest at the moment is to vary your speed, and changing lanes if possible, to keep away from cars that are doing that. I agree that is a dangerous situation. If any of them start to follow you, don't go home. Go to the police station or flag down a patrol car.

And no, you don't look ridiculous. They're probably jealous and wish they had a girlfriend/wife that rode bikes.

nb

Remember, good girls go to heaven, bad girls go to hell, and girls on fast bikes go wherever they want to.

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If any of them start to follow you, don't go home
In an unrelated story, today I went on the bike to the convenience store by me, and a homeless guy asked me if I could give him a ride somewhere!

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
kkim

dunno... we need a picture of you on your bike first to help you with your problem.

kidding aside... have you taken a MSF course and gear up all the time?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I usually take off from lights and stops pretty quickly, jumping up to just a hair over the speed limit as fast as possibly...purely to get space between myself and other cars. It lets me concentrate on whats in front of me and who might pull out from a side street, rather then constantly trying to check my sides and back.
I don't have the problem you have, but I still try to stay ahead of the cars as much as I can.

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

To be honest... I've never had that problem >< Not in realtion to guys anyway.

I am weary of any and all cagers. I have lived by the motto of "Everyone is out to get me" And treat it as such. I am vigilant and watchful of the goings on while still aware of my own skills. Always calculating ahead to make sure I have an 'out' should it come to that.

So far this has worked in my favor.

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
... have you taken a MSF course and gear up all the time?
Yes. And always.

To be honest, I don't think it's a "check out that babe" thing as much as it's a "chick on a sport bike" thing; I've had it happen with a car with a whole family in it. Dad was keeping up so the kiddies could see the lady on the motorcycle.

Well, from now on the gawkers are gonna have to get their fill at the stop lights....I'm getting the hell outta Dodge, baby!

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #8
kkim

I agree... rider awareness of their surroundings is paramount in staying out of trouble by positioning themselves in a non threatening location on the road.

control your surroundings by using the throttle and getting to a place that affords you the riding comfort level you seek.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #9
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Unforunately best bet is to tuck the blonde hair up inside the helmet, look like a dude until you get off the roadway... then when the helmet comes off.. whip that blonde hair around and then they can "safely" do the "chick on a bike" from a safe distance.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #10
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Drivero, I understand what you are talking about. It can be maddening. and if you are shapely and blonde I am sure you get gwaks all the time :/ They just can't help themselves it is in their making.. HAHA sorry guys

I get this much less now with short hair ( no pony tail or curls hanging out)and a tinted shield. Not too tinted because I want some eye contact. Being short and thicker is help also Ha!
Being out in the country I get the pick up truck guys with a sixer of animal beer under their belt who "like their women with a little meat on them" checkin me out. God help me... Grateful for my Rockin hubby TR who is usually with me.
I am now 48 and women out there is not so rare anymore. The manager of the new office I contract out of is 50 and rides all the time in the rain and sleet. I say screw that and drive the Sti

proper tools for the proper job I say.
Tuck your hair in if you are out alone at night etc...
Sunny,, I am with you... trust no one

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
In an unrelated story, today I went on the bike to the convenience store by me, and a homeless guy asked me if I could give him a ride somewhere!
First of all, I'm not homeless. Second, you live in south Florida, there are so many cars you can't get away from them. Join "Florida Sport Bikers" and ride with them. They are a great bunch, with a lot of girl riders, and they do a lot of fun things.

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #12
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
First of all, I'm not homeless

Oh CC, that was you? Next time, mention ninjette.org; then I'll for sure let you ride cupcake! Guess you forgot. Judging by how drunk you were, I'm not surprised!

Quote:
I get this much less now with short hair ( no pony tail or curls hanging out)and a tinted shield. Not too tinted because I want some eye contact. Being short and thicker is help also Ha!
Well, my hair's not SO blonde anymore, and I DO have meat on my bones (although I just lost a good deal of it), but if I do say so myself, I think I look pretty darn cool on my bike, even with all my gear on. THAT'S WHAT IT IS!......we are just so cool, people can't HELP but look!

Old November 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #13
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Don't let the gawkers scare ya, you just need to get used to it cause it's a normal thing. More ladies are riding these days so it's not as rare a thing as it used to be but there still is a "cool" factor for people to spot you on the road. At least around here it is. lol. I deal with it all the time. Don't get nervous, don't get cocky, just ride your ride.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Think they would get out of your way if you scooted over and kicked there door in?

That is the single best reason to have a bigger more powerful engine, if anyone bugs me like that, I can drop down a couple of gears and be gone like few other cars. On my current machine I don't even have to drop a gear to rapidly gain speed. Illegal, yes but I bet if you explain to the officer what was happening you'll get off with a warning.

You can also do the reverse (assuming you are not right at the speed limit and a little above)... Let the throttle snap closed and blink the brake light so the guy tailgating you knows you are slowing down, open the throttle when you hit the speed limit. That jerk next to you will now be gone before they can even react. Your break light should always come on before you actually start moving the fluid, it is wise to find that spot so you can blink the break light whenever needed without actually slowing down.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #15
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:

I think I look pretty darn cool on my bike, even with all my gear on. THAT'S WHAT IT IS!......we are just so cool, people can't HELP but look!
Exactly!! Enuff said.....
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #16
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

DRivero, I get this also, could be the pink helmet and jacket that lets everyone know I'm a girl . I find that most times, as soon as I make eye contact and wave, they settle down, it's like they want me to notice them. I have fun with it.

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #17
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I gawk at girls on sport bikes
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #18
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I am so glad that guys don't drive beside and elbow each other, but this is California I'm guessing that you have long hair and it shows coming out from under your helmet. The only thing that I can suggest at the moment is to vary your speed, and changing lanes if possible, to keep away from cars that are doing that. I agree that is a dangerous situation. If any of them start to follow you, don't go home. Go to the police station or flag down a patrol car.

And no, you don't look ridiculous. They're probably jealous and wish they had a girlfriend/wife that rode bikes.

nb

Remember, good girls go to heaven, bad girls go to hell, and girls on fast bikes go wherever they want to.
i agree with NB, too all he said.

in my EXP, yea ill get varies types of ppl/drivers staying or trying to stay next to me... roll off throttle or speed up enuff to move into a safer position, is what i do. I also hate riding next too semis on I-94
I try to BLOW past them ASAP, then slow to 65 MPH once clear!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
I try to BLOW
Not that kind of forum there buddy.

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #20
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:

Oh CC, that was you? Next time, mention ninjette.org; then I'll for sure let you ride cupcake! Guess you forgot. Judging by how drunk you were, I'm not surprised!
good one DRivero
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #21
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Debbi - I've noticed it too when I have my hair down - but with all the tangles it causes, I've started tucking it up in my helmet with my skull cap that I wear, and that seems to cut down on a lot of it - maybe give that a try?

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #22
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Debbi - I've noticed it too when I have my hair down - but with all the tangles it causes, I've started tucking it up in my helmet with my skull cap that I wear, and that seems to cut down on a lot of it - maybe give that a try?
That's what the BF suggested...that, and getting a tinted face shield. I don't care for tinted shields, but I've thought about doing the skullcap thing. It's just SO freakin' HOT where I live! Maybe ill give it a try. Who knows, it could be a curl-preserver too (cause helmet-hair sucks)!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #23
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Debbi - my hair is down past my bra strap and very curly - I have an underarmour heat gear skull cap that I wear, and it actually keeps me cooler than when I ride without it - it can't hurt to try And you know, if you do a mirrored visor, it's just like wearing sun glasses, but you don't have to worry about getting them in there either

Old November 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #24
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I get way to much attention and I did NOT expect anything like this. Which isn't cool, because now I know how awesome I am

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #25
Keenan84
ninjette.org member

Name: Keenan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

its pretty pathetic really. "maybe if i get real close, she will want to sleep with me" lol

i leave people alone and like to be left alone myself. plus my helmet hides my unattractiveness, which helps. haha
Keenan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #26
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Sort of related... do you guys ever notice that some people actually drive more reckless and show-offy when they see you? I'm a guy but I get this quite often.... as if they're trying to prove something. Probably an alpha male kinda thing. Ridiculous.

Last futzed with by Betlog; February 15th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #27
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
maybe if i get real close, she will want to sleep with me
Oh yeah....that certainly does it for me.....as does a bunch of guys riding in the back of a pickup truck, hissing at me and callig out "oye, mamita!". Be still my heart.

Old February 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #28
Keenan84
ninjette.org member

Name: Keenan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

some dudes are just gross. they ruin it for all the nice guys out there.
Keenan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #29
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Oh yeah....that certainly does it for me.....as does a bunch of guys riding in the back of a pickup truck, hissing at me and callig out "oye, mamita!". Be still my heart.
haha. I instantly thought of this

Link to original page on YouTube.

I don't get the ogling and whatnot but I have gotten the showoff guy a few times.

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #30
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Is your hair long enough to stick down the back of your jacket if you don't want to stuff it up inside your helmet?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote