ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old December 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

Track/Race Tires - Real world experience at the tracks / Recommendation?

I have only run Bridgestone BT-003 Racing / R-10 DOT takeoffs on my R6 trackbike. Tried Pirelli Superbike once, not for me... I love the Bridgestones.

I plan to race the Ninja 250 in the local clubs next year starting as a novice. Wanted to know realtime experience from folks who have run and experienced different tire brands and rear tire sizes (1-size up?).

Ok - just because you get sponsored, please dont drop in 1 line saying "Pirelli, period"

Thanks !
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nothing wrong with getting some new opinions here, but here are some good threads that started to cover this within the trackday/race section:

What are you using for track tires

Racing: Tires & Chain/Sprocket setup...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

For the 250 in terms of grip and feel, I'd put the pirelli supercorsas at the top of the list, michelins second, and bridgestones last. The bridgestones are the cheapest though by far and the 110/140 option is pretty nice. I would run pirellis next year if they offered contingency sponsorship, but since they don't, and bridgestone is paying like $150 a win, looks like el cheapo tires it is!
Posted via Mobile Device
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

Thanks Alex & Rexbo. I see many go with the Bridgestone BT-16.

2 questions on which i did not find any info :

1. i believe the tires are street, so the steel belt pattern will be V shaped, and hence the tire cannot be run reverse mounted? (like you would do with DOT Race tires and/or slicks)

2. The rear is 150/60 ... with smaller section height (compared to 70) the overall bike ride height will drop. ... Did folks compensate with increase in shock height? OR other methods?
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
Thanks Alex & Rexbo. I see many go with the Bridgestone BT-16.

2 questions on which i did not find any info :

1. i believe the tires are street, so the steel belt pattern will be V shaped, and hence the tire cannot be run reverse mounted? (like you would do with DOT Race tires and/or slicks)

2. The rear is 150/60 ... with smaller section height (compared to 70) the overall bike ride height will drop. ... Did folks compensate with increase in shock height? OR other methods?
The tires I was talking about were the bridgestone BT-003 racing tires, which they make in a 140 rear. The stock is 130 so they're all slightly taller than the stock tire, but the rear of these need to get raised up anyway. If your race org allows the easiest way is make an adjustable rear dogbone for fine tuning, or you can get an aftermarket adjustable length rear shock.

As for reverse mounting, I'm pretty sure they're all radial, not bias-ply so you could switch them if you really wanted.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote