ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Here's why you don't use the rear brake in a panic stop

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Like you've said in your crash thread you would have been totally fine if you hadn't used rear, had ABS, and didn't get distracted for that little bit

Nice smile btw.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

You walked away That's what happen when you lose focus.

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

dOOOOOOOOd.

Swerve. Panic stops when there are no other options. Not that I don't totally understand the heat of the moment getting to you.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Wow, hope you are ok!

Pretty freaky, watch... during the time compression, you can see the clip on moving around!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

LOL
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Like you've said in your crash thread you would have been totally fine if you hadn't used rear, had ABS, and didn't get distracted for that little bit

Nice smile btw.
Well, idk if I wouldn't have hit but once the rear started sliding I wasn't braking as hard as I could have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
dOOOOOOOOd.

Swerve. Panic stops when there are no other options. Not that I don't totally understand the heat of the moment getting to you.
Swerve where though? Van in the left lane, moving cars in the right lane and car in front of me. Also, I didn't know what was in front of these cars stopping (turns out nothing) so splitting between the lanes could have been just as bad. I figured the best option was to brake.
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
damnit sean. stop crashing

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Swerve where though? Van in the left lane, moving cars in the right lane and car in front of me. Also, I didn't know what was in front of these cars stopping (turns out nothing) so splitting between the lanes could have been just as bad. I figured the best option was to brake.
Obviously you ride over the car in front of you.

On a side note. I think you need to invest in one of these if you plan to keep jiggling your way into crashes.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Why? All I got was a scratch
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
damnit sean. stop crashing
It's fun though
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

This time, plus you could get a pink one. Then we could call you Jiggly Puff .

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I definitely wouldn't have swerved left, so swerving right would be the only choice. If I knew that there was a car to my right, or if I wasn't sure that it was somewhat clear, I wouldn't swerve into that lane either. I'd be worried that the Toyota in front freaks out and cuts into the middle lane anyway, so any swerve would have to be significantly into the other lane to gain enough potential clearance. Any car there, or approaching quickly, and it's a bad option.

As long as I had a awareness that there wasn't a vehicle directly behind me, I think I'd make the same decision to brake. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't look like the Toyota was actually braking that hard. You came up on him so quickly because of exactly what you described; you locked the rear and for the last 50 - 75 feet scrubbed off very little speed as you were trying to keep the bike straight rather than concentrating on adding more and more front brake. Glad you're OK.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #14
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Glad you're ok! How's the bike? Bent forks?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I definitely wouldn't have swerved left, so swerving right would be the only choice. If I knew that there was a car to my right, or if I wasn't sure that it was somewhat clear, I wouldn't swerve into that lane either. I'd be worried that the Toyota in front freaks out and cuts into the middle lane anyway, so any swerve would have to be significantly into the other lane to gain enough potential clearance. Any car there, or approaching quickly, and it's a bad option.

As long as I had a awareness that there wasn't a vehicle directly behind me, I think I'd make the same decision to brake. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't look like the Toyota was actually braking that hard. You came up on him so quickly because of exactly what you described; you locked the rear and for the last 50 - 75 feet scrubbed off very little speed as you were trying to keep the bike straight rather than concentrating on adding more and more front brake. Glad you're OK.
Yep exactly. I did briefly consider swerving to the left but then remembered the van so I stayed braking. Once the rear started to slide it was all over for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Glad you're ok! How's the bike? Bent forks?
Forks didn't look bent, the bike hit at an angle so it wasn't a dead on collision, I think frame damage is actually more likely. I'm going to have AAA drop it off at the dealer and let them worry about it. They'll be able to get me a new givi case too since my givi case ended up sliding across the freeway with me
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I can imagine your insurance will be a small fortune now?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Well, idk if I wouldn't have hit but once the rear started sliding I wasn't braking as hard as I could have

Hind sight being 20/20, you had just passed a vehicle to your right, you could have rolled on the throttle and headed into the lane to the right.

That being said, lane position was part of your problem here. I try to ride closer to the line, in the right hand part of the lane. If you had done that, you could have moved over into the lane splitting position while braking hard, since you don't need to swerve or turn hard at all to get there. Then, if you can't stop, you can split, and at a lower speed. Worst case scenario, you end up crashing the way you did, best case, you keep riding.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Hind sight being 20/20, you had just passed a vehicle to your right, you could have rolled on the throttle and headed into the lane to the right.

That being said, lane position was part of your problem here. I try to ride closer to the line, in the right hand part of the lane. If you had done that, you could have moved over into the lane splitting position while braking hard, since you don't need to swerve or turn hard at all to get there. Then, if you can't stop, you can split, and at a lower speed. Worst case scenario, you end up crashing the way you did, best case, you keep riding.
Yea I usually do ride closer to the line since it makes me more visible to other cars and it has less crap than the middle portion.

What's that phrase about a bunch of little things to cause an accident? And the absence of just one would prevent the accident?
If the van hadn't gone left, if the sedan hadn't stopped, if I hadn't hit the rear, if I'd been in the right portion of my lane
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #19
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:

Actually you had just moved past a car on your right before you hit the brakes which means 2 things. 1) It's open - there is a space for you to fit as you can see in the video and 2) you are moving faster than the traffic in that lane so you don't have to worry about being rear ended so long as you swerve and don't cut a lot of speed.
CVMA #531

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Actually you had just moved past a car on your right before you hit the brakes which means 2 things. 1) It's open - there is a space for you to fit as you can see in the video and 2) you are moving faster than the traffic in that lane so you don't have to worry about being rear ended so long as you swerve and don't cut a lot of speed.
Damn, can I get a redo???
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Silly noob! Next time just whacked the throttle, PIN IT, and jumped over the car.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Damn yo, glad that turned out with just dmg to the bike and not you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #23
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

It looks like it might have turned into a high side had you not hit the car so... not sure which would be preferable lol. Poor Ninja 1k. Glad you're okay though, bikes can be fixed and/or replaced. Or ridden around all beat up and ghetto. I think that the accelerating into the right lane would have been a great alternative, like everyone is saying, but since your first reaction was to brake that pretty much ruled anything else out.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Silly noob! Next time just whacked the throttle, PIN IT, and jumped over the car.
I suffer from 250 syndrome and forget I can do this
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
It looks like it might have turned into a high side had you not hit the car so... not sure which would be preferable lol. Poor Ninja 1k. Glad you're okay though, bikes can be fixed and/or replaced. Or ridden around all beat up and ghetto. I think that the accelerating into the right lane would have been a great alternative, like everyone is saying, but since your first reaction was to brake that pretty much ruled anything else out.
It was a highside lol
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #26
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

As long as you learn from the past then there may be many situations in the future that you can avoid. Cagers will always test your skills - those will be the re-do moments.
CVMA #531

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I need to practice panic stops some more. I think the reason I hit the rear is that I've been trying to use the rear more in low speed stuff. I used to never use the rear at all but lately I've been practicing low speed maneuvers and utilizing the rear. Sharper uturns and maintaining balance at really low speeds. Sort of like my subconscious brain went, hey I have this new tool lets use it now! Conscious brain, you ****ing idiot you just ****ed us!
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #28
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

No, that's what happens when you LOCK up the rear.....using the rear , and locking it up are not the same thing.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
No, that's what happens when you LOCK up the rear.....using the rear , and locking it up are not the same thing.
It is if you know what you're doing with the front. But if you have no idea how to use the front brake then you are correct and should be riding a Harley
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Passing a car does not ever mean that there is automatically enough space in front of it for you. Also, if the traffic in one lane is suddenly stopping too fast for you then there is a good chance that the very same thing could be happening in the next. That car he just passed may be using every bit of space available to stop in order to avoid doing the same thing Jiggles did and your suggestion is to jump right in between? Don't tell me you'd rather be in the middle of that!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I suffer from 250 syndrome and forget I can do this
That's why the 250 makes a terrible starter bike.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Bike is totaled, there is a couple scratches on the frame.
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Bike is totaled, there is a couple scratches on the frame.
It'll buff out bro.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
What bike should I destroy next?
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

I know you like Kawis, but based on your comments about bikes and power bands and what you like maybe you should try out a Triumph Street Triple.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Passing a car does not ever mean that there is automatically enough space in front of it for you. Also, if the traffic in one lane is suddenly stopping too fast for you then there is a good chance that the very same thing could be happening in the next. That car he just passed may be using every bit of space available to stop in order to avoid doing the same thing Jiggles did and your suggestion is to jump right in between? Don't tell me you'd rather be in the middle of that!
Did you watch the video....and see any of that happening? I'd rather be swerving in to the right lane than braking and praying. In that specific situation, swerving was the right move.
CVMA #531

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
What bike should I destroy next?
Once you total a liter bike you have to move up to totaling cars bro.
CVMA #531

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Once you total a liter bike you have to move up to totaling cars bro.
But I like my car
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #38
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Wow...glad you're okay.

I watched the video and I actually have ran into situations exactly like yours a few times.

What I wouldve done differently was actually swerve right and go to the #2 lane to avoid and should get away unscathed...the danger at that point would have been if the Toyota would have swerved too.

Considering the situation and Im not sure how many miles youve logged on the bike you did okay and its good you're fine. THis is coming from someone that has probably close to if not more than 100,000 commuting miles on bikes.

Also, it looks like you could have stopped the bike a lot faster and sooner if you decided to not swerve to the other lane. However it can be hard to tell since it is a wide angle camera.

I think it would be a good idea to actually practice front brake threshold. I know Lee Parks does a school where you practice that and Keith Code's CSS has a bike where you can practice this drill. Believe it or not you can be hard on the front brakes and come to a stop pretty quick, but you need to be smooth.

EDIT: I watched the video a second time and timed the gap you had between the car in front of you and your bike...it looked like 3 seconds...plenty of time to come to a full stop.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #39
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

LOL you got one cheeky little smile there mate
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #40
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Did you watch the video....and see any of that happening? I'd rather be swerving in to the right lane than braking and praying. In that specific situation, swerving was the right move.
I did and I'm not going to load it again on my 200kbps throttled AT&T so-called "Unlimited" data plan when I already explained why any space in front might not matter. I didn't say that the space wasn't there but I did say why it would be a bad idea to go into that space as long as there was enough room for braking. If he did go into it there was a high likelihood that he would end up having to brake every bit as hard in that lane with the compounding factor of having just cut off a car that was doing the same thing and with suddenly less space to do it. That's a good recipe for getting squished between two cars, so why do that when there was still enough room to stop?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote