ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1
sidekick10121
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): 250 ex

Efi... How many installed it

I have been looking at the ecotrons kit but can't decide of its worth 600.. What's people's thoughts that have installed EM. Can't find much searing around
sidekick10121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Paging @choneofakind, didn't you use this kit?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A bunch of folks have installed the ecotrons kit here:

Ecotrons Install Thread

EFI install walkthrough

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Long story short:

Bought it as a tinkering project.
installed it.
had some quirks.
learned how to use the software.
tuned it, ran it on the track. loved it.
Got bored with it,further appreciated the simplicity of carbs.
Running carbs again, also love those.
Realized how nice it is to have a bike that runs perfectly every time you hit the starter and doesn't need reflashed off your computer every 3 days to change some tiny thing. jet once and be done with it.

Carbs are dead predictable. The EFI retro takes some commitment and a pretty steep learning curve if you want to be self reliant without sounding whiny on here and in emails to the customer service. Not to mention, you have to learn it yourself to make the tuning and adjustments faster. One day turn around with emails to ecotrons doesn't sound so long, but when you're making 1 change at a time and learning the system and making 100+ small changes, tuning will take forever if you're not self-dependent.

The way I see it, it was a wonderful learning experience that got me a great intro to Control Systems and engine tuning. Treat it as such. But for $600, you can get a lot of suspension/tires/brakes/gear and not ever have to worry about parts availability and reliability. I never had any reliability issues with my kit, but I always had that little nagging thought in the back of my head, "I'm 4 hours from home in WV, I really hope my pump/fuel lines/whatver don't decide to crap out on me or leak right now..." Carbs are simple. They're easy to diagnose, easy to repair. Fuel injection takes some more knowledge. It does perform very well once you get the system tuned right though. I had a blast with it at Mid-Ohio, the throttle response was great, really had a nice responsive powerband in the midrange. The throttle was actually a throttle, not just an on/off switch to get torque in turns.

The bike did make some cool pops and spat flames every time I clutcless upshifted coming out of the carosel. My dad could always tell where I shifted and when I botched shifts. If I did it right, it was "RRRRRRRRR-pop-RRRRR!!" if I did it wrong and hit the limiter or missed the shift, it was "RRR-pop-rrrbrbrrr-pop-rrrbrbrrrRRRRR"
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I am in the process of replacing my carbs and ignition control unit with the Ecotrons. The quality of the parts is very very good. The support from the company had been excellent. That is important with something like this.
I am going to be using it with nitrous to produce incredible horsepower. I absolutely loved my carburetors. BUT even though they are set and forget. They have no way to adapt. It will be very interesting to see how this all works. But so far I am very happy with the system.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #6
sidekick10121
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): 250 ex

Good to know. Thanks guys. Going to stick with the simple carbs haha
sidekick10121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #7
satur9
ninjette.org newbie

Name: phill

Motorcycle(s): madass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I am in the process of replacing my carbs and ignition control unit with the Ecotrons. The quality of the parts is very very good. The support from the company had been excellent. That is important with something like this.
I am going to be using it with nitrous to produce incredible horsepower. I absolutely loved my carburetors. BUT even though they are set and forget. They have no way to adapt. It will be very interesting to see how this all works. But so far I am very happy with the system.
really ? ????? you gotten excellent customer service from them. Im new here and I dont own a ninja. but there was a lot of info on here about ecotrons efi. so I rolled the dice and bought the kit. theres already info about the quality of the kit on here so I wont get into that. but I just joined looking for some help in the tuning department.possibly choneofakind if he would be so gracious. anyway im having a horrible experience with ecotrons customer service.its like an indian tech support call center over there. I spent over 1000 dollars with ecotrons kit and related supplies. and im getting so fed up I wanna throw it in the trash. I gotten email responses from someone who obviously dont even understand how what they sell works. its been back and forth for weeks and my bike barely can hold idle let alone be rideable. I feel like ranting for hours but I have a pm to sent. so later.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote