ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 28th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #1
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Name: Mako

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Removing throttle cable...stripped screwhead..

Hello, so I am trying to remove my carbs to send to Ducatiman. When i went to remove the throttle cable bracket i stripped the screwhead. I feel like such an idiot. Is there a way to remove the throttle cable from the carb without removing that screw?

How do I remove the choke cable? Please help, I am such a noob. I AM learning though by taking this bike apart. I am sorry ��

EDIT: I FIGURED IT OUT. YAY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170728_212305.jpg (74.6 KB, 6 views)

Old July 28th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can probably remove the screw with a small pair of Visegrips. You can definitely remove it if you can grind a screwdriver slot in it with a Dremel tool and a thin cutoff wheel. A messier way is to use the Dremel tool and a stone to grind the whole head off. Once you remove the bracket, there will be enough of the screw sticking out to grab with pliers and unscrew.

I just saw your edit...
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMoto View Post
Hello, so I am trying to remove my carbs to send to Ducatiman. When i went to remove the throttle cable bracket i stripped the screwhead. I feel like such an idiot. Is there a way to remove the throttle cable from the carb without removing that screw?

How do I remove the choke cable? Please help, I am such a noob. I AM learning though by taking this bike apart. I am sorry ��

EDIT: I FIGURED IT OUT. YAY!
I've had this happen in the past and have drilled a 3/16 - 1/8 hole in the center of the screw head which gave me enough bite to tum out the screw. Don't drill too deep, just enough to give the screwdriver a new bite. You could also drill the head of the screw to the point where the screw head separates from the threaded shank. You also could have/should have obtained a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. A lesson to all reading this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/302129587727?chn=ps&dispItem=1

There isn't a single Phillips head screw on your bike. They are all JIS screws. I went to remove my front master cylinder cover this past spring. One screw was stuck fast. Were it not for my JIS screwdrivers my screw head would have looked like yours.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

I have two screwdriver bits with one detachable black handle that was in the tool kit that came with the bike when I bought it (used). Does the bike come with JIS drivers or are these just a set the previous owners threw in there?

Old July 28th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #5
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Thank you all for the help. This place is the best. If I have a question i get so much knowledge in less than 30 minutes. Im so happy to have found this site. You guys are the best.

My carbs are removed (a little easier than I had anticipated, but putting it back together is another story)

Will be shipping to Ducatiman on Monday and will begin the rest of the maintenance to revive this Ninjette and get on the road!

I had to poke the hole the drain screw goes into to be able to drain the left carb. Neon green old gas. Most definitely in need of deep clean.

Thanks guys!

Old July 28th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMoto View Post
I have two screwdriver bits with one detachable black handle that was in the tool kit that came with the bike when I bought it (used). Does the bike come with JIS drivers or are these just a set the previous owners threw in there?
I just compared the two screwdriver shanks that came with my Ninja to a #2 Phillips and have to admit I see no visible difference. I can tell you that the JIS screwdrivers fit more snugly into the screw head than a Phillips. I would have to assume that if Kawasaki installs JIS screws on their motorcycles the tool kit screwdriver would also have to be JIS. I have never used my tool kit screwdrivers but they appear to be pretty crudely manufactured. They are, after all, intended for roadside emergencies.

Let us know how you make out with that screw. Triple Jim's suggestions are very good ones also.

The best solution is to replace as many phillips head/JIS screws as you can with stainless steel Allen heads. Ducatiman does that when he refurbs the Keihin carbs on the Ninja.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 04:35 AM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I just compared the two screwdriver shanks that came with my Ninja to a #2 Phillips and have to admit I see no visible difference. I can tell you that the JIS screwdrivers fit more snugly into the screw head than a Phillips. I would have to assume that if Kawasaki installs JIS screws on their motorcycles the tool kit screwdriver would also have to be JIS. I have never used my tool kit screwdrivers but they appear to be pretty crudely manufactured. They are, after all, intended for roadside emergencies.

Let us know how you make out with that screw. Triple Jim's suggestions are very good ones also.

The best solution is to replace as many phillips head/JIS screws as you can with stainless steel Allen heads. Ducatiman does that when he refurbs the Keihin carbs on the Ninja.

Bill
The on-bike tool kit is for the motorcycle (the chassis) which comes from Kawasaki, and they do seem to be more like a Phillips type rather than a JIS profile.

The JIS screw heads you will find on the EX250 are (as far as I can tell) mostly located on the carbs, which come from Keihin (as a sub-contractor in the construction of the EX250).

Remember, all JIS screw heads have the identifying dot (dimple, indention) on the screw head in one of the 90 degree crux points of the screw head. So you can definitely, always tell a JIS screw head from a Phillips type.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 05:05 AM   #8
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
going forward....I'll be replacing all phillips and providing stainless buttonhead (allen) hardware on ALL carb locations.

This will include bowls, slide caps, both braces, decel valve, the troublesome throttle bracket too.

Allen keys 2.5mm (bowls and caps), 3 and 4mm (on braces)

No more phillips/#2/JIS anywhere on carbs, and you won't need to be be putzing with them for a long time to come anyway.

Mako...send the bracket (even if its disconnected) I want to secure it with the proper allen head
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #9
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Will do! Wow, you really do go above and beyond! Thank you!

Old July 29th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #10
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Will do! Wow, you really do go above and beyond! Thank you!

Old July 29th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #11
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

you can just loosen the adjustment nuts carb side of the cable and pop the cables out of the bracket and then you can wiggle the ends out of the carbs pretty easily. you may have to hold the throttle open to get the one cable to slide out. once you losen the cable from the carb there's all sorts of slack to bend it. choke cable is easy grab ahold of the sheething and pull out and then up so it unseats from its bracket on the carb then you gotta wiggle the end out of a slot like the others. you dont have to unscrew anything and its probably better you dont.