ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1
cki
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): None yet

First bike

I'm hoping I'm putting this in the right place on the forums, if not let me know, but I'm a first time buyer trying to decide between a few bikes and need some guidance.

When I first started riding it was on a really simple cruiser so sport bikes in general will take me a while to get used to. At first I wanted a cruiser, specifically a Harley. Then I wanted a cafe style bike. Then I looked into the sport bikes and just let it happen from there.

SO - Currently I'm looking at the Ninja 300 (not the 250), Yamaha FZ6R, a CBR, or a Triumph Thruxton (random, I know).

I always wanted a Ninja growing up but after checking out the Yamaha, it seems to have a very relaxed riding position and a larger displacement there too. However, the 300 seems to have some really nice upgrades and looks awesome. Being a new rider, I've been told a few different things. Some people say I shouldn't buy anything under 600cc for the first bike because I'll get tired of a 250-300 within 6 months and regret the purchase. Others say it's going to be too much to handle and I should start at the very bottom or else I'll flip, drop, tumble, die, etc.

I'm looking for something comfortable. I don't want too much pressure on my back/wrists so I need a decent riding position. I'll be commuting with it as often as possible and want to get it on some long rides as well. It wouldn't hurt to be able to take 0-60 quickly either.

I'm open to pretty much any comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
cki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Chris!

Your story sounds similar to mine. The only thing I can tell you is to sit on and test ride as many bikes as you can before you buy. Don't listen to the others, listen to yourself.... ride the ride you want but realize that common sense tells you that you shouldn't start on the most powerful of machines.

Whatever you get, let us know what was right for you, why and how much your enjoying it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

One thing i can assure you is if you find a new gen 250 whatever the price youll pay you will get close to that back when you sell it. So think about it, you would basically rent a motorcycle for free and maybe at most rent it for a couple hundred bucks
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

You could try the ninja 300/650, though if you want touring comfort try the latter...the yammi is a great bike too and there is a lady selling one on this very site for quiet a reasonable sum... Good luck!!!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114793
@grn09segirl

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

The only thing I can tell you is to sit on and test ride as many bikes as you can before you buy.

Whatever you get, let us know what was right for you, why and how much your enjoying it.
This x100. Sit on and test ride as many as you can. you'll learn real quick which bike you REALLY want.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #6
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Welcome!

Don't worry so much about the raw cc numbers (like 'anything under 600'), as lots more about the bike matter. I would stay away from the CBR and the Thruxton, if I were you, for the flipping/dying/crashing reason you mentioned. In short, the rider inputs get translated so viciously to the street in both of those bikes, that they are very dangerous for new (and often experienced) riders (the CBR being more so than the Thruxton).

But the 300 and Fazer are both great options. I sold my 675 for the 300 because it is such a smart bike -- about as much performance as I can ever use, and super-economical. Anyone who gets bored riding the 300 on the street is doing it wrong, lol. But it's not as good a touring bike as the FZ6R. So I would think about your budget, what you want the bike for, etc. Good luck!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cki View Post
I'm hoping I'm putting this in the right place on the forums, if not let me know, but I'm a first time buyer trying to decide between a few bikes and need some guidance.

When I first started riding it was on a really simple cruiser so sport bikes in general will take me a while to get used to. At first I wanted a cruiser, specifically a Harley. Then I wanted a cafe style bike. Then I looked into the sport bikes and just let it happen from there.

SO - Currently I'm looking at the Ninja 300 (not the 250), Yamaha FZ6R, a CBR, or a Triumph Thruxton (random, I know).

I always wanted a Ninja growing up but after checking out the Yamaha, it seems to have a very relaxed riding position and a larger displacement there too. However, the 300 seems to have some really nice upgrades and looks awesome. Being a new rider, I've been told a few different things. Some people say I shouldn't buy anything under 600cc for the first bike because I'll get tired of a 250-300 within 6 months and regret the purchase. Others say it's going to be too much to handle and I should start at the very bottom or else I'll flip, drop, tumble, die, etc.

I'm looking for something comfortable. I don't want too much pressure on my back/wrists so I need a decent riding position. I'll be commuting with it as often as possible and want to get it on some long rides as well. It wouldn't hurt to be able to take 0-60 quickly either.

I'm open to pretty much any comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Either buy a 250 Ninja (maybe a 300) or get lost and never return to this site.

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Either buy a 250 Ninja (maybe a 300) or get lost and never return to this site.

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
cki
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Welcome!

Don't worry so much about the raw cc numbers (like 'anything under 600'), as lots more about the bike matter. I would stay away from the CBR and the Thruxton, if I were you, for the flipping/dying/crashing reason you mentioned. In short, the rider inputs get translated so viciously to the street in both of those bikes, that they are very dangerous for new (and often experienced) riders (the CBR being more so than the Thruxton).

But the 300 and Fazer are both great options. I sold my 675 for the 300 because it is such a smart bike -- about as much performance as I can ever use, and super-economical. Anyone who gets bored riding the 300 on the street is doing it wrong, lol. But it's not as good a touring bike as the FZ6R. So I would think about your budget, what you want the bike for, etc. Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I've got a few more questions too. With the 300,is there a max weight it will comfortably support? I'm just over 200 and wasn't sure if the smaller bikes were all suspension or what.
Speaking of the cbr and thruxton, what did you mean there? Is it a handling issue?
Do you think I'd still get a sporty feel out of the fz6r?

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

Welcome Chris,

I had a similar dilemma when i was deciding on my first bike. Originally i wanted a 600 SS but i would get people telling me that that's the fastest way to getting myself killed and eventually i decided on getting a used 250, learn all i could, and upgrade when i felt ready.

That is til i found out about the 300. The main reason i opted for it was because of all the nice upgrades from the 250. My friends thought it wasn't a smart move because i'd be buying a brand new bike only to later grow tired of it.

After having the bike for 2 months, I have to say, I'm far far from tired of it. I pretty much have fun riding it wherever, whether it's a short distance or a long one and the gas mileage only makes it a sweeter deal.

Everyone has different opinions and preferences about certain bikes and the only real way to know what works best for you is sitting on different bikes and test riding them.

Hope i helped you a little on making your decision.

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #11
cki
ninjette.org newbie

Exactly what I'm thinking right now. All the features on the 300 plus the look and mpg make me want to get the new one regardless of if it's my first or not. Glad you seem to have made the right decision.

How is it with acceleration and on the highway?

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #12
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cki View Post
Thanks for the input! I've got a few more questions too. With the 300,is there a max weight it will comfortably support? I'm just over 200 and wasn't sure if the smaller bikes were all suspension or what.
Speaking of the cbr and thruxton, what did you mean there? Is it a handling issue?
Do you think I'd still get a sporty feel out of the fz6r?
I weigh a little over 200 myself, which is one of the reasons that I like the 300 over the 250 -- while both have 'enough' power, the 300 has just that little punch that keeps it from feeling anemic at times. The suspension is fine. I put the rear spring up to the '5' position, which is the stiffest, and it's just a bit much for commuting, so I'll drop it to 4. And they put a little extra oil in the forks on the 300, which makes it actually better than my old Triumph, which bottomed out under my weight all the time. I have not yet bottomed out the front suspension on the 300.

The CBR (I'm assuming you meant 600rr) and Thruxton comment was based on their performance orientation. With reference to the CBR, not many would argue with me -- it's a terrible beginning bike, not only because of the incredible power and acceleration, but the incredible brakes, steering geometry, and overall aggressiveness. Supersport bikes are a great way for beginners to kill themselves.

Now, bigger engines -- like the 900 twin in the Triumph -- need not always be unfriendly; in the Bonneville, it's totally sedate and makes a decent beginner bike (if you can afford to drop and repair it). But the Thruxton is a throw-back racing bike. It's not as terrible as the CBR, but (only in my humble opinion), I would also advise against it. It puts you in an aggressive position, has fairly powerful brakes, the engine is tuned more powerfully than in the Bonnie, and it reacts violently to rider inputs. So, the same things that make supersports bad beginner bikes makes the Thruxton a bad beginner bike, just less so. But the 300, or the Fazer, are perfect for beginners. The 300 will make you learn more, because the FZ6 will allow you to cover up your mistakes with your throttle hand. But the FZ6 is a much better 1-bike garage bike.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

FYI, I have done aggressive 2up rides (near 400lbs of total rider/gear weight) on a 2010 250 (stock everything). If the suspension of a 300 is even close to a 250's there is no problem with your weight. I can't even begin to offer up an opinion about the fz.