ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
MaliZ
ninjette.org member

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2X GPX250'S

A bit of learning to do

3 years ago i saw an ex250 on the side of the road for sale that had been written off, the guy who had it said he brought it like it and that one of the coils were stuffed (had to roll start it and it only went on one cylinder when it started) looked like a little to much work for me so i didnt bother with it. anyway a few months ago a friend says he has a ninja that wont go but it used to before he got it but only on one cylinder, i said id buy it for 100 and when i went and got it i noticed it was the one i saw a few years ago, it doesnt seem to have enough compression to fire but it will backfire (not loud) out one exhaust occasionally if turned over. i noticed the valves look black on the side that doesnt fire but the side that backfires is quiet clean, im hoping its a timing issue and doing the valve clearence will maybe fix it cause who knows the amount of people who have played with it but im still not 100 % confident doing it all myself so im hoping if anyone has ideas on where to start or what to that be sweet. i know how an engine works and the purpose for everything blah blah (worked on alot of cars and dirtbikes) but none of the specifics or little things that poeple who've probably stripped and owned their bike for a few years know. any help greatly appreciated.
MaliZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Basics....

Air + Spark + Gas Get those square first so you can figure out what is really wrong. I bet it will need a carb cleaning too. I am crossing my fingers for you that it's something simple or a valve adjustment takes care of it.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Engine
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4
MaliZ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Basics....

Air + Spark + Gas Get those square first so you can figure out what is really wrong. I bet it will need a carb cleaning too. I am crossing my fingers for you that it's something simple or a valve adjustment takes care of it.

Good luck!
put the carbs off my daily ride on it instead of cleaning the ones that came with it. and it has plenty of spark.
guess its time to pull the top off.

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
MaliZ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
cheers, I was actually wondering what the valve clearences were but found out few extra things :P

Old March 31st, 2013, 06:11 AM   #6
j98sprint
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250, '98 Triumph Sprint 900, '69 H-D Sportster XLCH 900

Been 10 days, what's happening? Even if it's the worst case scenario and the engine is trashed, an ebay engine is only about $500. And you only paid $100 for the bike.
j98sprint is offline   Reply With Quote