ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Texting while riding...

I know I'm probably one of the worst motorcycle riders in town, so I defer this question for the much more knowledgeable folks here.

On my commute back from work one day, I saw a guy on a sportbike riding while texting on his phone. How do people do it and not... uhh... have an incident on the road?
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #2
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I have been waiting to make this thread with a different purpose in mind for quite a few months now.

Guess I'll just run with this one.

It's easy, just make sure you are doing atleast double the speed limit (if it's a long text) -- that way, you have plenty of coasting distance to send your texts before you have to put your hands back on the bars and get back on the throttle.

It's best to try for a straight section of road, because it can be difficult to steer with your knee through a turn, even on a light ninja 250.

When you are texting, your focus should be 100% on the text you are sending and on the phone. That way you are texting as fast as possible without distraction, therefore being the safest method because it helps you get your attention back on the road more quickly.

Try to sit in a half tuck and tuck the phone under the windscreen, because this stops the wind from slowing your bike down as quickly (because you are partially tucked.)

It's also best to open your visor all the way, so you can see the phone more clearly, and again -- get that text out and sent as soon as possible so you can focus on the road again once you are done.

Also best to carry your phone in a holster like the otterbox, so you can get it out and ready to text as quickly as possible. If you want to practice your draw, that's a good idea. Sit on the bike with it supported on the side stand.. Lean forward slightly, then have a friend sound a bell or some form of audible prompt. Soon as you hear the noise, follow these exact steps.

1) visor up with one hand
2) simultaneously draw phone with other hand
3) lean forward and direct 100% focus to cell phone screen
4) also smart to practice in a worst case scenario -- practice sending 160 character texts so when the day comes that you need to belt out a long text while coasting, you are adequately prepared.

Most of my friends prefer to remove their gloves as soon as they take their hands off the bars, and then tuck the gloves under the windscreen as to increase their manual dexterity.

One other thing to consider is riding without a helmet, as I've heard this greatly speeds up the whole process by removing a step.

Remember, lean forward when you send long texts. If you sit fully upright, the headwind will slow you much more quickly and your bike will lose stability sooner, requiring you to either text very quickly (with typos) or requiring you to bring your knee up against the bar to stabilize the wobbling bike.

If there's one thing to take from this -- it is quite simply "Focus 110% on the phone and the text, that way, you'll be able to get your attention back to the bike sooner after you send the text."

Happy texting!

Old July 5th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #3
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I have been waiting to make this thread with a different purpose in mind for quite a few months now.

Guess I'll just run with this one.

It's easy, just make sure you are doing atleast double the speed limit (if it's a long text) -- that way, you have plenty of coasting distance to send your texts before you have to put your hands back on the bars and get back on the throttle.

It's best to try for a straight section of road, because it can be difficult to steer with your knee through a turn, even on a light ninja 250.

When you are texting, your focus should be 100% on the text you are sending and on the phone. That way you are texting as fast as possible without distraction, therefore being the safest method because it helps you get your attention back on the road more quickly.

Try to sit in a half tuck and tuck the phone under the windscreen, because this stops the wind from slowing your bike down as quickly (because you are partially tucked.)

It's also best to open your visor all the way, so you can see the phone more clearly, and again -- get that text out and sent as soon as possible so you can focus on the road again once you are done.

Also best to carry your phone in a holster like the otterbox, so you can get it out and ready to text as quickly as possible. If you want to practice your draw, that's a good idea. Sit on the bike with it supported on the side stand.. Lean forward slightly, then have a friend sound a bell or some form of audible prompt. Soon as you hear the noise, follow these exact steps.

1) visor up with one hand
2) simultaneously draw phone with other hand
3) lean forward and direct 100% focus to cell phone screen
4) also smart to practice in a worst case scenario -- practice sending 160 character texts so when the day comes that you need to belt out a long text while coasting, you are adequately prepared.

Most of my friends prefer to remove their gloves as soon as they take their hands off the bars, and then tuck the gloves under the windscreen as to increase their manual dexterity.

One other thing to consider is riding without a helmet, as I've heard this greatly speeds up the whole process by removing a step.

Remember, lean forward when you send long texts. If you sit fully upright, the headwind will slow you much more quickly and your bike will lose stability sooner, requiring you to either text very quickly (with typos) or requiring you to bring your knee up against the bar to stabilize the wobbling bike.

If there's one thing to take from this -- it is quite simply "Focus 110% on the phone and the text, that way, you'll be able to get your attention back to the bike sooner after you send the text."

Happy texting!

What a ****ing noob get a throttle lock and do it right noob.

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
some folks are addicted to technology
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

What if he was recording? As if that would be any better lol..

Old July 6th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #6
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Cruise control FTW!!!

Old July 6th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I actually just use my voice to text.
Nice handlebar mount for the phone. read, voice to text via blue tooth to reply. super easy.

You really only need your hands when you have to make a snap chat or take a selfie on the rd.

no biggie
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wait, someone said to lean forward?! LOL! No.

Link to original page on YouTube.

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #9
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

If you set it to camera mode and hold it up to display the road ahead you are arguably not taking your eyes off the road.
In fact if you set the zoom right the phone could appear almost transparent with a text overlay, like a sort of head up display.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I just lost it right there

@CZroe holy ****!

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #11
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Or,.....you could learn ASL and mount the cam near the more articulate of your 2 hands and send really short movies. Right ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

O FK !
I DINT C THE LINE O CRS STOP SDDNLY AND

---:end of message:-----
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote