ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 27th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

"Buzzing" hands after long ride (75mi+)

Does anyone else feel their hands buzzing or vibrating after getting off the bike after a long ride? I did about 50 miles of brisk-pace-curvy-road riding today and when I pulled into a store for a soda, my hands felt like they were buzzing.

Am I holding on too tight or is this normal?

(I was riding without gloves. Bare handed. Plz don't attack me.)
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Gloves will help. Also - you may have been simply holding the grips tighter than necessary. The hand controls require very little force, and the bike generally behaves better the more gently and smoothly the rider applies the appropriate control inputs.

/moved to riding skills

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 28th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

That's totally normal. On longer rides, I can't hardly feel my hands after a while. So I changed my grips to these, and it helped a little bit. Not much though. Then I heard that weighted bar grips would help reduce vibrations a little more, so I installed these bar ends.

I just put 'em on yesterday, so I haven't had much of a chance to ride an extended distance with them yet.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Very strange sensation indeed. I get the same feeling after using the weed whacker I also wear gloves using both !
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You're gripping the bars too right and/or putting too much weight on your hands.

Numb body parts is not normal. It's an indicator that you're doing something wrong.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Gloves will help. Also - you may have been simply holding the grips tighter than necessary. The hand controls require very little force, and the bike generally behaves better the more gently and smoothly the rider applies the appropriate control inputs.

/moved to riding skills
Agree with all of these suggestions. One other thing is that what you do with your lower body will really help your ability to relax your grip on the bars. Gripping the tank with your knees and getting your body stable will make it much easier to keep the weight off your hands and prevent you from holding on too tight.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Loosen your grip and keep your weight off your hands. Your hands and arms should always feel nice and loose. Gloves will also help a lot with vibrations.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Get a scottoiler cramp buster, just rest your right hand on your throttle instead of gripping it, helps with circulation.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You're gripping the bars too right and/or putting too much weight on your hands.

Numb body parts is not normal. It's an indicator that you're doing something wrong.
Wait, for reals?

I barely hover my hand around the throttle and over time it gets numb.....?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I found on my riding while I was keeping my fingers loose around the grip, my palm was being driven into the grip by the weight coming down from my arms. Seeing a dummies diagram of hand nerves, I realized by weighing down on the base of my hand I was pinching the nerves going from my wrist into the hand.

What I found works for me along with using my legs to support my torso is to slightly rotate my hand out so the meaty part above the wrist and below the pinky is the part pushing into the grip. Still get slightly numb hands but the shooting pain and sever numbness I was getting before has been eliminated.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Roca
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ex250f

I have a little bit of carpal tunel, so after about 10 miles my hands go numb. They kind of feel swollen. I am going to try some different postures.
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Wait, for reals?

I barely hover my hand around the throttle and over time it gets numb.....?
For reals.

Teri nailed it with the explanation because she had the same issue a while back.

Like I said before, too tight and/or too much weight on your hands. Numb body parts are not normal in any wheel'd vehicle I've been on/in lately, aside from the lawnmower which requires I push it AND squeeze it to keep it from shutting off.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Even though I don't get buzzy hands on the bike, I do get it when using the chain saw or weed whacker (push and squeeze). I even get buzzy feet (push on the foot throttle) when riding my lawn tractor for long periods of time. Chone is on to something there. Comparing the two (bike vs lawn equipment) shown me that the equipment can very much lend itself to this feeling.

But, Teri did some homework already, maybe you can leverage her experience to help you.

Read down farther into the thread for some "outside the box" thinking and good luck.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I found on my riding while I was keeping my fingers loose around the grip, my palm was being driven into the grip by the weight coming down from my arms. Seeing a dummies diagram of hand nerves, I realized by weighing down on the base of my hand I was pinching the nerves going from my wrist into the hand.

What I found works for me along with using my legs to support my torso is to slightly rotate my hand out so the meaty part above the wrist and below the pinky is the part pushing into the grip. Still get slightly numb hands but the shooting pain and sever numbness I was getting before has been eliminated.

Excellent explanation! People often think they are riding relaxed but they are still gripping hard or as you said pressing into the base of your hand hard. Sometimes your hands are relaxed and your shoulders and neck are tense and that can contribute to pain and numbness as well.

When I did level 3 of the California Superbike School as a student in 2003 we really worked on using my legs to grip the tank and get the weight off my arms and sort out my body position. I told Keith my legs were tired and he said, "tired legs are fine, it's tired arms we don't want "
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote