ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:03 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Crash cages on bikes?

I think they look really cool, above all else.

As far as function, it seems they speak for themselves. Who needs a kickstand when you can lean your bike on a tree or telephone pole? And if the wind blows it over, who cares?

Seriously considering investing in a pair of these -- above all they look bad-freakin-ass.

Does anyone have a crash cage on their bike and if so, where did they get it and how much did they pay for it?

http://www.xtreembikeworks.com/Kawas...age_p_183.html

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

More for stunting.

Impaktech makes them for the 250 too. He doesn't advertise it but he still has the jigs for one.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:02 AM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I have Renntec bars on my 500.

Hopefully I never make use of them, but they seem like they would do a lot more to protect the engine and fairings than simple sliders would. One thing that was brought up is that the 500's frame is pretty weak, so you might end up saving an engine side cover at the cost of your frame.

The bars were about $150 without VAT, but shipping from the UK was really expensive - $110 for a single set of bars. It wasn't much more to ship a handful of them, so I set up a group buy on them. They ended up being $215 each, plus shipping from my house to theirs.

Someone actually mentioned having Xtreem Bikeworks make some for us. Even though he had never seen the Renntec bars and there are only a few ways to mount bars like that on the 500's frame, he kept saying that Renntec's design sucked and the Xtreem bars would be way better, but he couldn't actually give any further explanation of why. Their 2-point rails were ~$200 and the 3-point cages were ~$300, so ~$215 for the Renntec bars seemed like a pretty good price.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Hah, I read the thread title as "Crash cagers on bikes" and I was all wtf.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Hah, I read the thread title as "Crash cagers on bikes" and I was all wtf.
that's when you convince your neighbor riding is super easy and toss them your keys

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I've always wanted one of these crash bars for my triumph. There's absolutely nothing protecting any of the engine components other than 2 spindly little frame sliders.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I've always wanted one of these crash bars for my triumph. There's absolutely nothing protecting any of the engine components other than 2 spindly little frame sliders.
You will want to at least get some case sliders at some point and start with the right side. Nearly every one that I have seen go down had some sort of rash on the lower areas of the casing. And the case is thin on the right side, enough to grind through in a short slid if she is grinding hard enough.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #8
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Oh, I've been down on both sides with this one...lol.

But with my 2002, no one and I mean no one makes anything for it, so it's gotta be a custom job...and I have no cash to spare.

The sliders seem to be doing ok, for now.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote