ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Live from Pacific Raceways

Figured I might live blog my track day a bit. Just finished session one:
First time here. Starting with a basic "figure this track out"
Going in too early and ending up wide. But I'm consistent and predictable (feedback from track Marshall). Not surprised; reading this track is way more difficult than expected. Going to be repeating find reference points and turn points for round two.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Session 2 ended. Found MUCH better lines. Figured out a few things that were throwing me (turn... I want to say 3(?) has a gentle start that you barely need to do anything for and then cuts hard. I was using the start of that first bit as my reference point and it was giving me all sorts of bad info and making that turn in particular wonky.

Found I was in the wrong gear fairly consistently (too high); might do that as a focus for next session. Usually that would be outside my preferred task list for a session but I still want to feel out my turn points a bit more too so I think that will work.

A bit more detail: So for the first session of my group they hang the yellow for a few laps while you get some sighting in. It's basically a no-passing/pass-super-ultra-wide period. In my first session someone went down in turn 4(?) and put oil on the track which red flagged us. So for session 2 they re-did the sighting laps since we didn't finish them the first time. That was handy for me since I was still doing reference points (and a bit of wide view to find the points)

I also bought some sets of "GoPole" arm mounts which are ~6 inch long GoPro connector bars in hopes of improving some of my angles. Unfortunately, like I somewhat expected, the long length leads to more vibration than I'd like. I took the one on the front off after session 1 and the one on the back off after this session. I do have an idea to 'tripod' them though, which should be pretty stable. I'll just need to invent a GoPro connector that's ultra long so I can connect all three arms on one side and the camera on the other.

I tried a poor woman's solution with a hair tie to approximate this but it doesn't have the rigidity that is needed ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BG161HnRnL-/ )

There was apparently a fairly nasty low side in my 2nd session too, though I believe I missed it (maybe my rear-facing cam will have a glimpse?); the bike parked next to me had to dodge the downed and tumbling rider. Seems like this track is just eating bikes today (the other two levels have also had a number of incidents). I'm taking it easy and just exploring the new track, rubber side down.

Old June 19th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
It was turn 3b that the rider red flagged in the first session and 3a that I was reading with bad information. Map available here: http://pr.visualstring.net/wp-conten...ion-course.jpg

Old June 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Okay, session 3 concluded. Not as happy. Definitely had better shifts but I messed up a number of turns (I think I went back to turning too early, though not as bad as session 1). A bit frustrated.

I'm debating between quick turn or throttle control next time out, help me get a better rhythm to the track. I could also do reference points again, but not sure.

Old June 19th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

If your searching for good lines, then throttle control will be how you judge if find a good one.

Good luck, have fun!

Old June 19th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
And that's session 4. I decided to focus on throttle control, working under the theory that if I'm focused on that then I'll "force" myself to pick a good turn in point. It worked out pretty well, I ironically found myself frequently having to /break/ the throttle control rule because I was coming up on riders in front of me going slower in the corner. Unfortunately I'm fairly timid about passing and so didn't have much luck finding a line around anyone.

Not sure what I should do for next session given how the last one went. I might try just focusing on a fundamental (e.g. just spend the whole session making sure I'm not covering the clutch)

Last futzed with by Yakaru; June 19th, 2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Old June 19th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Now that you got some workable lines, takes Misti's leadership here and work on that braking & downshifting. With the pace being in check, a mistake should be less costly and more easily recoverable.

Old June 19th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
For session 5 I focused on braking/downshifting and not covering the clutch. I feel okay about it, I definitely have a muscle memory to wrap my hands around that left lever at all times to overcome. I don't think I'm coasting any/much with the clutch pulled in, but I'll have to review the video to be sure.

I'm also starting to get over my 'fear' of turn 9. It's a bit funky in that it's basically a turn defined by cones in a big parking lot slab (for the drag racing configuration I believe) and I always read the turn as being 'tight all the way through' even though it opens up as it re-enters the track proper. I'm mostly just mantra-ing that fact to myself as I approach it and forcing myself to see it, but it's working.

I'll probably repeat the exercise again for 6 and see how I feel about it with some more time.

Old June 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #10
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
And that's session 6. One more and the day is over. Felt some improvement, though I need to do some work on lower body position in 3a I think. Getting better about not covering the clutch. I'm sometimes letting myself get ahead of things and trying to do the braking and downshifting in one step; got to stop that until I have the step-by-step down at a minimum.

For session 7 my plan is to just have fun and keep the shiny parts shiny.

Also: post 1000.

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:34 PM   #11
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

really liked your live posts and that you took time to pick ONE thing to work on each session and analyze it before working on other things. Sounds like you improved and focussed on what was needed each session out. I definitely agreed with staying with Reference points for the first two sessions and working on throttle control after. Keep at the braking and downshifting as that is a very specific area for you that needs work and time to break that bad habit.

Do you have any more track days planned before the Ridge?

See you there!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
really liked your live posts and that you took time to pick ONE thing to work on each session and analyze it before working on other things. Sounds like you improved and focussed on what was needed each session out. I definitely agreed with staying with Reference points for the first two sessions and working on throttle control after. Keep at the braking and downshifting as that is a very specific area for you that needs work and time to break that bad habit.

Do you have any more track days planned before the Ridge?

See you there!
July 4th at the Ridge is my last track day before CSS with you!

Old June 21st, 2016, 01:37 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I hope you have some good stories to tell Misti when you get to CSS Yakaru! It's awesome reading about your progress.

Old June 24th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #14
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
July 4th at the Ridge is my last track day before CSS with you!
Have fun!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Figured I might live blog my track day a bit. Just finished session one:
First time here. Starting with a basic "figure this track out"
Going in too early and ending up wide. But I'm consistent and predictable (feedback from track Marshall). Not surprised; reading this track is way more difficult than expected. Going to be repeating find reference points and turn points for round two.
VIDEO!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Session 2 ended. Found MUCH better lines. Figured out a few things that were throwing me (turn... I want to say 3(?) has a gentle start that you barely need to do anything for and then cuts hard. I was using the start of that first bit as my reference point and it was giving me all sorts of bad info and making that turn in particular wonky.

Found I was in the wrong gear fairly consistently (too high); might do that as a focus for next session. Usually that would be outside my preferred task list for a session but I still want to feel out my turn points a bit more too so I think that will work.

A bit more detail: So for the first session of my group they hang the yellow for a few laps while you get some sighting in. It's basically a no-passing/pass-super-ultra-wide period. In my first session someone went down in turn 4(?) and put oil on the track which red flagged us. So for session 2 they re-did the sighting laps since we didn't finish them the first time. That was handy for me since I was still doing reference points (and a bit of wide view to find the points)

I also bought some sets of "GoPole" arm mounts which are ~6 inch long GoPro connector bars in hopes of improving some of my angles. Unfortunately, like I somewhat expected, the long length leads to more vibration than I'd like. I took the one on the front off after session 1 and the one on the back off after this session. I do have an idea to 'tripod' them though, which should be pretty stable. I'll just need to invent a GoPro connector that's ultra long so I can connect all three arms on one side and the camera on the other.

I tried a poor woman's solution with a hair tie to approximate this but it doesn't have the rigidity that is needed ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BG161HnRnL-/ )

There was apparently a fairly nasty low side in my 2nd session too, though I believe I missed it (maybe my rear-facing cam will have a glimpse?); the bike parked next to me had to dodge the downed and tumbling rider. Seems like this track is just eating bikes today (the other two levels have also had a number of incidents). I'm taking it easy and just exploring the new track, rubber side down.

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #17
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Okay, session 3 concluded. Not as happy. Definitely had better shifts but I messed up a number of turns (I think I went back to turning too early, though not as bad as session 1). A bit frustrated.

I'm debating between quick turn or throttle control next time out, help me get a better rhythm to the track. I could also do reference points again, but not sure.

Old June 30th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #18
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
And that's session 4. I decided to focus on throttle control, working under the theory that if I'm focused on that then I'll "force" myself to pick a good turn in point. It worked out pretty well, I ironically found myself frequently having to /break/ the throttle control rule because I was coming up on riders in front of me going slower in the corner. Unfortunately I'm fairly timid about passing and so didn't have much luck finding a line around anyone.

Not sure what I should do for next session given how the last one went. I might try just focusing on a fundamental (e.g. just spend the whole session making sure I'm not covering the clutch)

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #19
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
For session 5 I focused on braking/downshifting and not covering the clutch. I feel okay about it, I definitely have a muscle memory to wrap my hands around that left lever at all times to overcome. I don't think I'm coasting any/much with the clutch pulled in, but I'll have to review the video to be sure.

I'm also starting to get over my 'fear' of turn 9. It's a bit funky in that it's basically a turn defined by cones in a big parking lot slab (for the drag racing configuration I believe) and I always read the turn as being 'tight all the way through' even though it opens up as it re-enters the track proper. I'm mostly just mantra-ing that fact to myself as I approach it and forcing myself to see it, but it's working.

I'll probably repeat the exercise again for 6 and see how I feel about it with some more time.

Old July 1st, 2016, 07:51 AM   #20
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
[youtube]G4hRIuXrPx0[/youtube ]
Big improvement on staying in gear. You do regress briefly once or twice but so much better.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.