ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Are there any 1% MCs that ride sport bikes?

Let me start by saying that I am asking this out of pure curiousity. It popped into my head while I was at work today. I have no intentions, wants, or desires to join or associate with anyone in any motorcycle club, 1% or otherwise.

As the title stated, do any outlaw biker groups ride sportbikes or is it strictly a Harley thing? Seems they would be better as they are faster, handle better and are quieter. Those factors seem like they would be better in running whatever "activities" MCs do.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

American made and over 1000cc's is the general rule most of the time. Most of their bikes aren't even HD, but rather they are often custom built. You won't find sport bikes in the 1%'s as their regular rides. They might have some for racing if they are into that gambling line, but that's a long shot.

Don't sell the cruisers short until you've tried them. You'd be surprised what a cruiser can do on the open road. Remember they were being raced long before there was such a thing as a sport bike. When you consider that the wheels contacting the ground is like the pivot point of an arm with a weight on it, the closer to the pivot point that weight is the quicker it can transition from side to side. Think of the metronomes musicians use. The weight on the arm is moved down closer to the base for faster tempos and further out on the arm for slower tempos. Bikes are much like that so that a more top heavy bike will lean slower and require more effort than a bottom heavy bike. The main issue with cruisers is they just don't lean as far as the sport bikes. I've been seeing more people on here getting surprises when a cruiser or touring bike goes faster through curves than they though was possible.

As for louder..... are you f^*%ing kidding me? I can hear SS bikes from 2+ miles away with some of those exhausts they run. Sport bikes are JUST as loud as the cruisers, just a different pitch is all. When we all get together at the bike nights around here the loudest bikes showing up or riding by on the street are ALWAYS sport bikes with ridiculously loud exhausts bouncing off the rev limiter. It's not the type of bike that makes it loud, it's how the exhaust is set up.

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '90 ex250

There's actually quite a few sport bike gangs over here... They're just as bad as the cruiser ones. Not sure if they have consider themselves 1%'ers though.
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
crispy23
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Don't sell the cruisers short until you've tried them. You'd be surprised what a cruiser can do on the open road. Remember they were being raced long before there was such a thing as a sport bike. When you consider that the wheels contacting the ground is like the pivot point of an arm with a weight on it, the closer to the pivot point that weight is the quicker it can transition from side to side. Think of the metronomes musicians use. The weight on the arm is moved down closer to the base for faster tempos and further out on the arm for slower tempos. Bikes are much like that so that a more top heavy bike will lean slower and require more effort than a bottom heavy bike. The main issue with cruisers is they just don't lean as far as the sport bikes. I've been seeing more people on here getting surprises when a cruiser or touring bike goes faster through curves than they though was possible.
More aggressive rake/trail and tire profiles make sportbikes quicker and easier to corner. Not trying to bust any balls, being a new guy, but there is a lot more to it than weight and center of gravity.
crispy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy23 View Post
More aggressive rake/trail and tire profiles make sportbikes quicker and easier to corner. Not trying to bust any balls, being a new guy, but there is a lot more to it than weight and center of gravity.
I realize that. It just seems that most only consider what you just said and forget the other parts that I mentioned. You'd be surprised at what a cruiser in a the hands of a good rider can do.

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I got smoked by an older gentleman on a goldwing with his grandson on the back and a HD sportster with an even older rider. I am no novice rider either.... In the right hands even a cruiser can be a force to be reckoned with, only governed by the laws of friction, gravity and rider skill hold them back.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #7
crispy23
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 R6

I agree, an experienced rider can go fast on any bike. I've seen some of the newer sporties rail around the track. One of the coolest things I ever saw was a couple of guys on Goldwings doing an exhibition. They were doing stuff I doubt I could do on a zuma.
I was just pointing out that adding weight to lower the center of gravity will not make your bike turn faster. I don't want to see a ninja with an iron weight welded to a crankcase.
crispy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #8
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
I don't want to see a ninja with an iron weight welded to a crankcase.
That's it, I have to go try this right now... I bet i can take corners at 166mph w/ that!!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #9
sombo

Quote:
I agree, an experienced rider can go fast on any bike. I've seen some of the newer sporties rail around the track. One of the coolest things I ever saw was a couple of guys on Goldwings doing an exhibition. They were doing stuff I doubt I could do on a zuma.
I was just pointing out that adding weight to lower the center of gravity will not make your bike turn faster. I don't want to see a ninja with an iron weight welded to a crankcase.
LOL, was never suggesting that. It's all in how the bike is balanced from the get-go. If you do something to offset that balance, it won't work as well as if the bike had originally been designed that way. I was only pointing out a difference that many people tend to ignore. In doing a number of rides on various bikes the last few months I have been able to feel the difference in how a sport bike and a cruiser are balanced.

While the sport bikes have much greater lean angle and more aggressive suspension setups allowing them to take sharper turns quicker, the cruisers way of balancing with it's lower center of gravity seems to allow it to transition from one side the next faster. This makes them great for riding in city and traffic on the open road because they can lane change super quick.

This was learned from trying various bikes out and such in recent months. In a twisty setting (like tracks and such) I'd give the sport bike the advantage for ability to take sharper turns quicker. For carving up traffic on the open road I'd actually say the cruiser might have a slight advantage. The quick side to side added with low end torque for quick bursts of speed aid it there. Get into the real high speeds and once again the sport bikes tend to take the lead.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
As for louder..... are you f^*%ing kidding me? I can hear SS bikes from 2+ miles away with some of those exhausts they run.
True, IF they upgrade the exhaust. But have you heard a stock ZX-14R? Not much louder than a ninja 250r with a stock exhaust. And its pushing nearly 200 HP. Anyway I was more refering to sound as a quiet bike would give the cops less reason to pull them over and find reason to search them. And yes a cruiser ridden by a very skilled rider can and will outperform a less skilled rider on a sport bike, but a sportbike with that same skilled rider will allow him far greater handling at far greater speeds. Allowing them to run from the cops when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
There's actually quite a few sport bike gangs over here... They're just as bad as the cruiser ones. Not sure if they have consider themselves 1%'ers though.
Under the definition of 1%, all outlaw biker gangs would be 1%ers.

-Where are you from that has the sportbike gangs? Not sure what DFW is.

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What's a good hand signal to show discontentment because they never seem to wave back.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #12
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
What's a good hand signal to show discontentment because they never seem to wave back.

You really gonna try and piss off an outlaw biker group? Or are you just talking one of the wannabe groups?

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM   #13
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma.40 View Post
-Where are you from that has the sportbike gangs? Not sure what DFW is.
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. More specifically I saw this one particular group when I was driving through Arlington.

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. More specifically I saw this one particular group when I was driving through Arlington.
OK I could see them being in Texas.

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM   #15
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Only like 1 out of ten people on Harleys wave back. I've gotten so tired of it I wave to everyone BUT Harleys.

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:09 AM   #16
sombo

Quote:
Only like 1 out of ten people on Harleys wave back. I've gotten so tired of it I wave to everyone BUT Harleys.
Just because it's a cruiser doesn't make it a Harley. Why is that so hard to understand?

For you guys it must just be the area. Here in central Florida, even when I was on my ninjette, I got more waves from the cruisers than from the stuck up sporties. When I was on the ninjette and would meet up with other riders, the sporties would all but ignore me and act like I didn't exist, while the cruisers were all in the "2 wheels is 2 wheels" and "it don't matter what you ride as long as you ride" mentalities. Hasn't changed any since getting my Harley either. Most of the nice people down here are on cruisers while most of the sporties are massive egos and stuck up squids (not all mind you, but more than there are nice ones ).

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just because it's a cruiser doesn't make it a Harley. Why is that so hard to understand?
I was specifically talking about Harleys. I wave and get waved at from Vulcans, Shadows, Boulevards (and so on) all the time. Its the Road Kings, the 883/1200 Sportsters, Dyna Glides, etc... that don't wave back.

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:11 AM   #18
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

the only people who dont wave to me is dudes on cruisers. But a lot of them still do. guys on sport bike with shorts and a tank top give me a wave....
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM   #19
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Don't sell the cruisers short until you've tried them. You'd be surprised what a cruiser can do on the open road.
I'll show you what mine does on an open road
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM   #20
leed
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I just wanted to say that stock sport-bikes tend to be quiet until you are WOT and 60% of Redline. Then they screech like F1 cars (except the 250). Now if you remove the valve and stock pipe for a wide open exhaust, it's just as loud as any Cruiser. Most of the stock cruisers (aside from the Rebel 250) are not this way. They are loud so long as the engine is churning. Now I should mention I have nothing against Cruisers, and I frequently ride with them (two of my friends ride 750 Shadow Aero's).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM   #21
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

A potentially interesting thread has turned into arguing for and against criusers... And who waves and who doesn't...
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM   #22
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I just wanted to say that stock sport-bikes tend to be quiet until you are WOT and 60% of Redline. Then they screech like F1 cars (except the 250). Now if you remove the valve and stock pipe for a wide open exhaust, it's just as loud as any Cruiser. Most of the stock cruisers (aside from the Rebel 250) are not this way. They are loud so long as the engine is churning. Now I should mention I have nothing against Cruisers, and I frequently ride with them (two of my friends ride 750 Shadow Aero's).
Apparently you aren't around stock cruisers that much. They aren't "loud so long as the engine is churning." I ride with orex, mr.e, and saxnbass on my stock sportster. Guess who is the lowest in noise? Up close mine has more mechanical noise sounding something like a sewing machine, but from the exhaust, all 3 sport bikes put my HD to shame in volume. Most of the other cruisers I encounter are the same unless they have modified the exhaust. It's harder to tell that a cruiser exhaust is not stock than it is with sport bikes, so you might just not realize that when around them.

@Sigma.40 No offense, but I'm gonna say that's more imagined than real. Harley's don't automatically make a rider a douchebag anymore than a sport bike makes someone a squid. Yes, there are MC's out there that consider anything than a Harley "not a motorcycle". But they are far less than just your average joe on a HD. I'd be willing to bet that more wave to you than you take notice to.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM   #23
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
LOL, was never suggesting that. It's all in how the bike is balanced from the get-go. If you do something to offset that balance, it won't work as well as if the bike had originally been designed that way. I was only pointing out a difference that many people tend to ignore. In doing a number of rides on various bikes the last few months I have been able to feel the difference in how a sport bike and a cruiser are balanced.

While the sport bikes have much greater lean angle and more aggressive suspension setups allowing them to take sharper turns quicker, the cruisers way of balancing with it's lower center of gravity seems to allow it to transition from one side the next faster. This makes them great for riding in city and traffic on the open road because they can lane change super quick.

This was learned from trying various bikes out and such in recent months. In a twisty setting (like tracks and such) I'd give the sport bike the advantage for ability to take sharper turns quicker. For carving up traffic on the open road I'd actually say the cruiser might have a slight advantage. The quick side to side added with low end torque for quick bursts of speed aid it there. Get into the real high speeds and once again the sport bikes tend to take the lead.
City and traffic?

I've ridden some cruisers before and as soon as I didn't really think of them as city and traffic bikes. I did like them on the open highway though. Quite comfortable. I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting in rush hour on one though.

Of course I'm not that big and I don't really like the idea of having a heavy bike.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Quote:

@Sigma.40 No offense, but I'm gonna say that's more imagined than real. Harley's don't automatically make a rider a douchebag anymore than a sport bike makes someone a squid. Yes, there are MC's out there that consider anything than a Harley "not a motorcycle". But they are far less than just your average joe on a HD. I'd be willing to bet that more wave to you than you take notice to.
You and I are apparently going to disagree on everything on any thread you and I both post on. Lets just agree to disagree and call it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
A potentially interesting thread has turned into arguing for and against criusers... And who waves and who doesn't...
I absolutely 110% agree. And I'm part to blame for it. Lets stop the who waves and who doesn't and stop comparing the cruisers to sport bikes. It's all personal preference and is a never-ending argument. I want to know why outlaw MCs don't ride sportbikes.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
@sombo I'm sure the super wide handlebars also help make a difference as it lets you apply a greater force due to leverage.

We need superbikes with Harley handlebars
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #26
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Because outlaw backs are thrown. They need the comfort.

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM   #27
sombo

Quote:
You and I are apparently going to disagree on everything on any thread you and I both post on. Lets just agree to disagree and call it that.

I absolutely 110% agree. And I'm part to blame for it. Lets stop the who waves and who doesn't and stop comparing the cruisers to sport bikes. It's all personal preference and is a never-ending argument. I want to know why outlaw MCs don't ride sportbikes.
Well we've only been involved in 2 threads. I'm just tired of people's prejudice to cruisers and bashing on Harley's in the same way squids bash on the 250. If people would actually give them a try they'd be surprised at what they didn't know about cruisers and Harley's in particular.

I do agree that it's time to stop comparing cruisers to sport bikes. It's something I've said in the past and still bring up from time to time.

As for the outlaw biker groups not using sport bikes. Well most of the groups were started back when sport bikes didn't exist, were usually started by ex-military, and were very "US all the way" oriented. As far as they are concerned (many of them have said this, but I'm sure not all of them agree), if it's not American, it's not a motorcycle.

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:35 AM   #28
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

What if it's assembled in the US?

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Where would they put the back patch when going face down arse up, wear it as a tramp stamp?
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #30
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I didn't feel like reading every post, but last I heard there is only one 1%er MC for sport bike riders and they are based in Southern Cali.

There is a long process to go from a riding club to an MC to an outlaw MC. I was told that you have to be endorsed by another MC, then an outlaw MC, or something to that extent. I don't understand the MC fraternity bit at all but I know you can't just run around claiming you are an MC or an outlaw MC. There are many (emphasis on the many) riding clubs that claim to be MCs but they are not... they are actually riding clubs that think they are hot stuff so they slap a MC on their vest. Heck I have seen tons of them out in CT and I just laugh at them.

I have talked to some 1%ers before and I have never heard that riding a 250, or a sport bike isn't a motorcycle... maybe the culture is different depending on where you are.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:03 PM   #31
leed
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Apparently you aren't around stock cruisers that much. They aren't "loud so long as the engine is churning." I ride with orex, mr.e, and saxnbass on my stock sportster. Guess who is the lowest in noise? Up close mine has more mechanical noise sounding something like a sewing machine, but from the exhaust, all 3 sport bikes put my HD to shame in volume. Most of the other cruisers I encounter are the same unless they have modified the exhaust. It's harder to tell that a cruiser exhaust is not stock than it is with sport bikes, so you might just not realize that when around them.
You are likely right. Now that I think about it, there is a 800 Sportster that is pretty quiet (I guess that's why I never take notice of it), but it tends to be that the majority in my area tend to be loud as mess, where as the sportbikes are more often left stock or left wide open (no middleground, really).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM   #32
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

The Ninja 250 stock is really a ninja.

I loved that about my bike. I'd pull into the garage and surprise everyone because they didn't hear a thing.

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM   #33
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
You are likely right. Now that I think about it, there is a 800 Sportster that is pretty quiet (I guess that's why I never take notice of it), but it tends to be that the majority in my area tend to be loud as mess, where as the sportbikes are more often left stock or left wide open (no middleground, really).
I know exactly what you mean and also realize that cruisers are the same. Not too loud when stock (sound something like a V8 muscle car really), but loud as all hell when even just the baffles are drilled out let alone going with straight pipes (as some do... jerks). But both types of bikes can be equally loud and equally annoying. Down here I would say it's even between the two, but there are more cruisers than anything here.

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #34
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I was just pointing out that adding weight to lower the center of gravity will not make your bike turn faster.
But it will make it flick easily because if the center of mass is closer to the axis of rotation (where the wheels meet the road), the moment of inertia will be smaller.

I = M R^2
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:23 AM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM   #36
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

^ Roflcopters!

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM   #37
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
^ Roflcopters!
actually, that's a rotfl-chopper

I crack myself up.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #38
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

when i get old and dont wanna hug the tank im getting one of those but as a green ninjette
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #39
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Nada 1% comes from back in the late 40's when the clubs split from the AMA for being a bunch of rebels. So to get the 1% diamond is no easy task but I imagine you have to prove it to the dominant and they will only allow a club with American made bikes.

Now that saying there are probably 1 piece clubs with bad mofos in them that will allow or made up of sport bike riders. Probably won't be acknowledged by the big dog clubs but that's all. May have the cops attention though.

But remember they are clubs not gangs, and just because they look mean as hell don't make them the boogie men, some are extremely friendly .

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #40
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but clubs rarely wave to anyone they don't know, for all they know you could be undercover for another rival club.