ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #81
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
A breakdown of today's work and costs. We bent back the handlebars, removed the centerstand and bent it back, and attempted to fix the turn signal. With the handlebars, at one point I was convinced I'd need to buy some new ones, but we kept at it and got them back straight enough that you'd never know they were bent in the first place. Disassembling and reassembling them took a good chunk of our time today. Then there was that damned centerstand. We decided it would be best to take it off in order to bend it back. Getting that thing off sucked. Twin exhaust pipes looks cool, but working around them is a bitch. In fact one of the bolts for the centerstand was blocked from coming out by the exhaust pipe. A little light bending allowed enough clearance and that sucker popped off. Bending the centerstand back to its original shape was easy as pie once it was situated in the vice. I decided it would be best to leave the centerstand off the bike since it seems to jut out farther than anything else, and with the rear alignment already completed, it isn't quite as necessary.

Starter Toolkit (Metric): $100
Plumbing Pipe for bending leverage: $20
Plastidip: $5
Spray on Truckbed Liner (for toolbox + why the hell not???): $5
Labor: 4 Hours each

Next week we will likely be working on the fairings.

We have also come up with a new project to work on once Deathproof is completed. Conceptual ideas coming to a forum near you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
That really looks like a great school. Might be worth a trip out there. I wonder if they have anything closer to FL.

Regarding PVC: I'm not a mechanical engineer, but my gut tells me you'll want to use chromoly steel. Its super strong and easy to weld with oxy acetylene. I'm pretty sure that the bike frame itself is made from chromoly.

Considering the cost of all the PVC fittings and pipe, it might be similar in price too.
Thank you for the productive idea, keep em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
This has to be the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.
Purple Penis Pumpernickel!

Quote:
I hope you understand the forces that are involved in a crash. If youve never been down then you have no idea.
I'd imagine it's alot like a pillow fight.

Quote:
I had a 1.5" poll sticking off the back of my bike with a wooden dowel screwed into it, and it broke off after a stupid little wheelie.
Guess we will scratch the 1.5" poll + wooden dowel idea.

Quote:
When/if you crash your just going to have a lot of sharp objects ****ing your **** up.
I disagree.

Quote:
Just take it slow and learn how to ride, or spend $2000 on a racing school and use there bike, seems smarter to me
Those are my only 2 options? Gosh I sure hate living in Russia!
How about I take it slow and learn to ride and instead spend $2000 perfecting my own Deathproof/Crashproof bike that I get to keep and use whenever I please? Seems smarter to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
so what the OP is saying he wants to ride a cager.
U ams a no good reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Is it broken beyond repair or do you just need the left leg broken off and re-welded back on?

This thing nearly killed me when it slid across the ground in a left turn through an intersection.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #82
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
This has to be the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. I hope you understand the forces that are involved in a crash. If youve never been down then you have no idea. I had a 1.5" poll sticking off the back of my bike with a wooden dowel screwed into it, and it broke off after a stupid little wheelie. When/if you crash your just going to have a lot of sharp objects ****ing your **** up. Just take it slow and learn how to ride, or spend $2000 on a racing school and use there bike, seems smarter to me
Ridiculous is what we're going for. Thanks for your input but not helpful for our project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Is it broken beyond repair or do you just need the left leg broken off and re-welded back on?
We took the center stand off entirely and used a vice and pipe to bend it back. It's bent pretty close to where we want it now. Just got a little bit more bending to do so that the thing curves around the exhaust. We're tired today so we gave up and we'll maybe put it back on when we need to mess with the rear tires.

Is there a way to use a rear stand for the pregens? Without the center stand and spools, It doesnt look like it.

Also as Jiggles has already posted, We were able to bend the handlebars back to close to their original position so it feels much better now. The tail lights look like they're wired strangely. There arent any of those quick disconnect plugs which makes me wonder if it has been tampered with before.

In anycase, our next step will be to attempt custom fiberglass fairings. We'll most likely make a massive mess and it'll look like crap for a while but hopefully it'll work out in the end. If anybody has any ideas on the design, let us know. I'm thinking something kinda like the newgens. Widen the tail fairings and also the front fairings. Also maybe a different style of headlights.

Just FYI to those that keep posting with their opinion, we know it's a money pit, we know it's not practical, we know that there are a crapload of problems, we also know it's a ton of fun and we'll learn alot so please just stop it with the "crazy idea dont do it" opinions.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #83
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Just saying for the group what we discussed in PM, Brian. Love the idea of a wacky headlight assembly for a wacky bike. But for the love of God, don't buy stuff from K-motorsports. They have an F rating from the Better Business Bureau for being unresponsive to customers, and many complaints about both the quality of their products and their unwillingness to resolve issues.

There are many great aftermarket kits you can buy that aren't from that crap ebay retailer.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #84
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Just saying for the group what we discussed in PM, Brian. Love the idea of a wacky headlight assembly for a wacky bike. But for the love of God, don't buy stuff from K-motorsports. They have an F rating from the Better Business Bureau for being unresponsive to customers, and many complaints about both the quality of their products and their unwillingness to resolve issues.

There are many great aftermarket kits you can buy that aren't from that crap ebay retailer.
Not to disagree that they are a crap retailer but they actually have a D+ with the BBB
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #85
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

duct tape and pillows

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #86
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
duct tape and pillows
Nuh uh pillows esplode! Won't work!
Feathers are sharp man!
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #87
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i like the headlight. acerbis makes cool ones too.

are you planning on making an airbag deploying suit also?

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #88
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i like the headlight. acerbis makes cool ones too.

are you planning on making an airbag deploying suit also?
You mean like those that RS-Taichi have done? It wouldnt be as far fetched if there was a way to keep it inflated because once there is abrasion it would be difficult to maintain pressure. I suppose it's possible to cover the airbag assembly in kevlar but that would still be difficult since it'd add a significant amount of rigidity to the airbag deployment and not to mention some weight.

Acerbis I saw made some cool lights but they cost $100. Might be worth it. Will need to plan some more to find out. Appreciate the suggestions.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #89
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think i paid 40 for my acerbis headlight.

put the airbags under your existing kevlar

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #90
ninja250
You are sleeping

Kevlar.
Now there's an idea.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #91
setasai

Quote:
i think i paid 40 for my acerbis headlight.

put the airbags under your existing kevlar
Under what existing kevlar?

Where'd you get the headlight? Bikebandit has them going for way more.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #92
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.bikebandit.com/acerbis-dh...ycle-headlight

i'm assuming he wears gear? leather? kevlar? something? if not the whole crash cage thing is kinda pointless isn't it?

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #93
setasai

Quote:
http://www.bikebandit.com/acerbis-dh...ycle-headlight

i'm assuming he wears gear? leather? kevlar? something? if not the whole crash cage thing is kinda pointless isn't it?
Hmmm that headlight isnt nearly as cool as some of the other ones.

Implementing airbags into gear is a whole new ball game. I'm not sure if we're ready to mess with custom gear just yet. Unless you would be interested in planning and building something like that.

Also, as some others have mentioned, the rollcage idea may change the center of gravity too much to be safe to use and also increase the width of the bike too much that it would probably reduce handling efficiency. As radical as this may, it still needs to work when we're finished.

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #94
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

perfected

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #95
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Airbags would probably be more fatal than helpful

Link to original page on YouTube.

Think about the way an airbag works, its attached to stationary (relatively) object and then inflates before you hit it. In order to make something like that the airbags would have to deploy before you hit the ground. Now perhaps a pull cable attached to the ninjette would work but that would only become effective if you are thrown from the bike.

And that rolling motorcycle cage is goddamned awesome. I think the ninja may be a little heavy for that though

Bike seems to have a problem leaning. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...239#post369239

AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #96
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Deathproof....psssshtt
Dumbest thread ever.

1. Ruining a perfectly good motorcycle.
2. Mistakenly thinking that you can somehow make a motorcycle deathproof...yeah, the titanic was unsinkable too.
3. Using PVC, a material that has little to no impact strength, and fractures violently and explosively when it fails resulting in jagged sharp angular fragments.
4. Using PVC for a rollcage, a process that will get you a lifetime ban from any dragstrip in the country if you get caught, because it isnt safe.

This thread is going to end up as ninjette.org's most epic fail.
Just remember to post pics after you end up impaled on a chunk of PVC so this thread can serve as a warning to any future idiots that might want to try this.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #97
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

As they stated MANY times in this thread.. if you don't agree with it, DO NOT POST IN IT!!
They don't care you don't agree and did not ask you to post your negative comments about it.
Who says it's a perfectly good bike anyway, it was crashed and they are working on it to get it back in shape. Sounds like the perfect bike to me to frak around with!!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #98
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

>.<
Posted via Mobile Device
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #99
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Not to disagree that they are a crap retailer but they actually have a D+ with the BBB
Must have been upgraded from the flat F they had last month. Congratulations to them. Can't you find at least a C- retailer?

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #100
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Deathproof....psssshtt
Dumbest thread ever.

2. Mistakenly thinking that you can somehow make a motorcycle deathproof...yeah, the titanic was unsinkable too.
3. Using PVC, a material that has little to no impact strength, and fractures violently and explosively when it fails resulting in jagged sharp angular fragments.
4. Using PVC for a rollcage, a process that will get you a lifetime ban from any dragstrip in the country if you get caught, because it isnt safe.

Just remember to post pics after you end up impaled on a chunk of PVC so this thread can serve as a warning to any future idiots that might want to try this.
1. It wasnt perfect. Tons and Tons of things that needed to be fixed from the 2 previous owners that downed it multiple times on both sides. Lucky thing is fairings only have cracks not scrapes. Most things sticking out is cracked and/or bent.

2. Deathproof is just a name that I admit was used with the intention to provoke controversy. We are not nor do we think we are immortal in anyway so I think this comment is a little over the top.

3+4. PVC was just an idea. I think you and everybody else who have helped us see the flaws in using that type of material but no one has yet to help us find a new material that has similar characteristics of PVC that are useful but without the flaws.

EsrTek: Thank you for your post but we are not opposed to negative comments. We are opposed to negative comments that have been 1) said many times, and 2) do not contain useful content in them.

If you said ____ is horrible but _____ is better because of ____. That would be very helpful to our project.

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #101
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Deathproof....psssshtt
Dumbest thread ever.

It is clear that you are jealous of our superior intellects and despise the fact that you could not come up with an idea this brilliant.

1. We are improving this not so perfect motorcycle.

2. Mistakenly thinking we can make it deathproof? There are no mistakes there. Is it inconcievable to make a motorcycle that can withstand a crash? Or are you simply incapable of understanding an idea that has yet to be physically engineered? Let me simplify it for you. I'll try not drive it into any icebergs.

3. Try to use complete sentences. Your fragmented thought are difficult to understand.

4. First off, I won't be at a dragstrip so who cares. And second, I just can't believe this! Another person that has tried this idea and knows the exact outcome!

This thread will lead to some incredible innovations for our bikes. The only idiots here are the ones that try to impede original and innovative ideas.

EsrTek, I want you and everyone else to disagree with me. That is the best way to fine tune these ideas and make them even better. What I don't want is for people to restate opinions and ideas that have already been said. It's pointless for every ninjette member to say "PVC is gna break."

As for the name, deathproof was not intended to cause controversy. It sounds better than crashproof which is why I picked it.

Now then, if you have something actually interesting to add to the idea, or if you have a criticism that will help advance the project, I would love to hear it.

If you don't, then GTFO, I don't want to read your drivel.
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #102
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Okay Setasai / Jiggles, you made go back and re-read the "purpose" of this thread. To me, it sounds like you want some sort of crash bars so that the bike can fall-down-go-boom, then the rider could simply pick it up and keep going. Is this correct?

( Stunters would call that a "stunt cage". Unfortunately, no one makes a stunt cage for the Ninja 250. We barely have a selection of frame sliders. A good welder could custom-make a stunt cage for a 250. ($$$) )

If that's not correct, what's the purpose of this thread?

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #103
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

DOOO IT

I believe in you. besides youre right about...

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #104
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

My contributing idea: Use a lot of duct tape because its the solution to everything
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #105
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Sure guys, sorry his post just hit a spot w/ me at the time, and I am the type to say what's on my mind, be it right or wrong. In this case I was more wrong than right it seems.

As for other things to PVC, there are no options near that material or characteristics of PVC that I can think of, so haven't piped in w any options. I do think your going to have to use some metal for it.

I do not disagree, nor agree with your project, but I can respect your right to do what ever you want with your bike(s).

As for ideas, I'm not that creative so I am just watching the thread to learn what I can, where I can and see the progress.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #106
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Go for it...you just might stumble on some weird ass idea that nobody ever thought of and make a million bucks selling it to Bike bandit or something. Fell free to use my invention....frame sliders with ball bearings on the end...y'know, so it really slides.Do it or you'll wish you did.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #107
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
It is clear that you are jealous of our superior intellects and despise the fact that you could not come up with an idea this brilliant.

1. We are improving this not so perfect motorcycle.

2. Mistakenly thinking we can make it deathproof? There are no mistakes there. Is it inconcievable to make a motorcycle that can withstand a crash? Or are you simply incapable of understanding an idea that has yet to be physically engineered? Let me simplify it for you. I'll try not drive it into any icebergs.

3. Try to use complete sentences. Your fragmented thought are difficult to understand.

4. First off, I won't be at a dragstrip so who cares. And second, I just can't believe this! Another person that has tried this idea and knows the exact outcome!

This thread will lead to some incredible innovations for our bikes. The only idiots here are the ones that try to impede original and innovative ideas.

EsrTek, I want you and everyone else to disagree with me. That is the best way to fine tune these ideas and make them even better. What I don't want is for people to restate opinions and ideas that have already been said. It's pointless for every ninjette member to say "PVC is gna break."

As for the name, deathproof was not intended to cause controversy. It sounds better than crashproof which is why I picked it.

Now then, if you have something actually interesting to add to the idea, or if you have a criticism that will help advance the project, I would love to hear it.

If you don't, then GTFO, I don't want to read your drivel.
Your acting like a 5 year old... Jesus... Take what people are saying to heart stop being all butthurt when someone point out your dangerous idea

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #108
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm still waiting to find out what happens to my wheelie bar from galvanized 3/4" pipe when I finally hit that sucker she wont be street legal long I can just take it and the lights right off and plastics too.

PVC was never an option.

Yes, please, somebody make us a 250 stunt cage!

Weeee neeeed wheeeeelie baaaaars tooooo

1) Ninja250
2)Abominable Deathproof

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #109
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
combine "Custom indestructable fiberglass fairings" with "custom weight reduction mods"...

take the fairings off..

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #110
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Ok, this thread has gone off track. I started this thread with the intention of it being fun, productive, and innovative. People have come in with the intention of attacking us instead of helping us. When you attack a person, they attack back, hence my smartass remarks. I want to move past this. From here on out I don't want any negativity, from me or you. I do want criticism and ideas.

Let's all try to make the thread productive and keep the project moving forward. We have pretty much ditched the PVC idea so there's no need to comment on it any further.

The current plan is to create custom indestructible fiberglass fairings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Go for it...you just might stumble on some weird ass idea that nobody ever thought of and make a million bucks selling it to Bike bandit or something. Fell free to use my invention....frame sliders with ball bearings on the end...y'know, so it really slides.Do it or you'll wish you did.
Interesting idea, but I can't quite picture how it would work or how to make it. Can you elaborate?

Quote:
combine "Custom indestructable fiberglass fairings" with "custom weight reduction mods"...

take the fairings off..
Now wheres the fun in that? In addition to making the bike crashproof we also want to redesign it to look as sexy (or sexier!) than the newgen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I'm still waiting to find out what happens to my wheelie bar from galvanized 3/4" pipe when I finally hit that sucker she wont be street legal long I can just take it and the lights right off and plastics too.

PVC was never an option.

Yes, please, somebody make us a 250 stunt cage!

Weeee neeeed wheeeeelie baaaaars tooooo

1) Ninja250
2)Abominable Deathproof
What about wheelie fairings?

I bought a front cowel from a newgen to see if we can Sexifie the pregen a bit with it
Total Cost: Free + $12 shipping
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #111
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
instead of making it "indestructible" (which frankly is not going to happen) maybe you should think about "easy/cheap to fix"... make some molds of the existing bodywork panels, then make duplicates out of fiberglass. it won't be "indestructible" but when you can crank out a new one for only the cost of resin and fiber whether its the same part or an old part doesn't really make any difference anymore. when you bend up your frame spend some time and money and learn how to build a new frame or repair your old one. you keep bringing up the idea of making something indestructible... but honestly with the properties of the materials we're limited to (obviously we can't create a perfect crystalline carbon structure) you aren't going to be able to acheive making a bike that can withstand crashes completely undamaged that is still light and nimble enough to be useful as a motorcycle. if you could, you would be able to buy such a bike at the store. it's obviously something that would be desirable. the problem is that there are so many problems with it. take the normal crash cage for example. for starters it does nothing to protect other areas of the bike for example swing arm or forks or the top side of the bike. forks will easily bend, swingarms will torque and dent, bikes will flip and the tops will be destroyed. not a problem if you're stunting and won't be going faster than 20mph. big problems when you're trying to go fast. it's also heavy and can crush the hell out of you if you fall on it wrong. steel isn't as forgiving as flat sheets of plastic fairing when it comes between you and a falling bike.

anyway you seem like you don't want other peoples advice so i'll leave you to your madness

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #112
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
but when you can crank out a new one for only the cost of resin and fiber whether its the same part or an old part doesn't really make any difference anymore.
Read as 3D scanner and 3D printer. Yes, they exist. I'd love to play with them!

Really Jiggles, this bike is kinda bendy dude. You're gonna transfer energy elsewhere if you don't break the anti-break materials. Unless you go NASA on us.
In which case I used to work for the Berkeley National Lab and I'd like to apply for the position and proof of funding and security clearances.

I think this why no stunt cage on the ninja. There's not much there to support haha.
The engine is the stunt cage on this bike. It's best to lay it down on it's plastics and not on frame sliders or metal bars to be honest. Ask me how I know. I have seen quite a few ninjette crashes and been in a few myself.

Everyone who lowsided no sliders came out ok frame. I hit and wrapped up in a rail with a lowside and frame sliders and I have a gumby frame.

Just keep it from highsiding and stay away from objects bro. the fairings ARE the pvc you are looking for. (accept they are ABS I believe)

Instead of spending money to beef it up, you could spend the money on new fairing parts on ebay. (to crash with, of course!)

The trackies come on here saying frame sliders kill your frame and to just use plastics for frame sliders. They are good for advice sometimes! I'd rather have bendy plastics than a bendy gumby frame. =( Now I can't ebay and forget it and then trade in for GSXR. Have to sign my life away instead.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #113
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
instead of making it "indestructible" (which frankly is not going to happen) maybe you should think about "easy/cheap to fix"... make some molds of the existing bodywork panels, then make duplicates out of fiberglass. it won't be "indestructible" but when you can crank out a new one for only the cost of resin and fiber whether its the same part or an old part doesn't really make any difference anymore. when you bend up your frame spend some time and money and learn how to build a new frame or repair your old one. you keep bringing up the idea of making something indestructible... but honestly with the properties of the materials we're limited to (obviously we can't create a perfect crystalline carbon structure) you aren't going to be able to acheive making a bike that can withstand crashes completely undamaged that is still light and nimble enough to be useful as a motorcycle. if you could, you would be able to buy such a bike at the store. it's obviously something that would be desirable. the problem is that there are so many problems with it. take the normal crash cage for example. for starters it does nothing to protect other areas of the bike for example swing arm or forks or the top side of the bike. forks will easily bend, swingarms will torque and dent, bikes will flip and the tops will be destroyed. not a problem if you're stunting and won't be going faster than 20mph. big problems when you're trying to go fast. it's also heavy and can crush the hell out of you if you fall on it wrong. steel isn't as forgiving as flat sheets of plastic fairing when it comes between you and a falling bike.

anyway you seem like you don't want other peoples advice so i'll leave you to your madness
I want your advice, ideas, and concerns! When I say indestructible I don't really mean indestructible, as making that would be pretty difficult. Easily repairable/ difficult to break is what we are going for. The nice thing about fiberglass is we can keep layering it until we get the right thickness to absorb the bikes impact with the ground. At least, thats our current idea.

Quote:
you aren't going to be able to acheive making a bike that can withstand crashes completely undamaged that is still light and nimble enough to be useful as a motorcycle.
Half the fun is trying to achieve this. It may be difficult and we may have to go through several ideas to accomplish it but I still think its doable.
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #114
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Omg people you aren't going to dissuade setasai and jiggles from their project, it'd do everyone a favor (especially the OP and those of us who are interested in seeing how this turns out) if you would quit posting the same stuff over and over again! I think we've covered that 1. PVC was an idea, and it most likely won't work so they probably won't use it, 2. They don't want to make the fairings off and make it cheap to fix, they want to make the fairings harder to break and better looking, 3. The bike was bought as a beater to be used for this crazy project, its not a mint condition doesn't-deserve-to-be-tested-on bike and 4. The OP doesn't care what anyone else has to say about it, all the hate is just turning this thread into a pool of negativity.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #115
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Omg people you aren't going to dissuade setasai and jiggles from their project, it'd do everyone a favor (especially the OP and those of us who are interested in seeing how this turns out) if you would quit posting the same stuff over and over again! I think we've covered that 1. PVC was an idea, and it most likely won't work so they probably won't use it, 2. They don't want to make the fairings off and make it cheap to fix, they want to make the fairings harder to break and better looking, 3. The bike was bought as a beater to be used for this crazy project, its not a mint condition doesn't-deserve-to-be-tested-on bike and 4. The OP doesn't care what anyone else has to say about it, all the hate is just turning this thread into a pool of negativity.
Mostly right, I do want to hear what everyone has to say. I just want it to be limited to things that will advance the project and not hinder it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Read as 3D scanner and 3D printer. Yes, they exist. I'd love to play with them!

Really Jiggles, this bike is kinda bendy dude. You're gonna transfer energy elsewhere if you don't break the anti-break materials. Unless you go NASA on us.
In which case I used to work for the Berkeley National Lab and I'd like to apply for the position and proof of funding and security clearances.

I think this why no stunt cage on the ninja. There's not much there to support haha.
The engine is the stunt cage on this bike. It's best to lay it down on it's plastics and not on frame sliders or metal bars to be honest. Ask me how I know. I have seen quite a few ninjette crashes and been in a few myself.

Everyone who lowsided no sliders came out ok frame. I hit and wrapped up in a rail with a lowside and frame sliders and I have a gumby frame.

Just keep it from highsiding and stay away from objects bro. the fairings ARE the pvc you are looking for.
The fairings will likely be our frame sliders. We are also considering ideas to help absorb the impact and not damage the frame/engine/forks/etc.
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #116
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
fiberglass gets too heavy before it becomes structurally feasible. you might be looking for carbon fiber. but even CF is not strong in the same ways something like a structural frame component is. its strong against compression... its not strong against torsion. if you crashed CF fairings they would still crack and break. the only thing that wouldn't really break would be structurally reinforced framework... ie- a naked bike with a crash cage. motorcycles don't have cages and airbags and crumple zones for a reason... just don't crash the bike and you don't need them.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #117
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
fiberglass gets too heavy before it becomes structurally feasible. you might be looking for carbon fiber. but even CF is not strong in the same ways something like a structural frame component is. its strong against compression... its not strong against torsion. if you crashed CF fairings they would still crack and break. the only thing that wouldn't really break would be structurally reinforced framework... ie- a naked bike with a crash cage. motorcycles don't have cages and airbags and crumple zones for a reason... just don't crash the bike and you don't need them.
Well, I can't give up now! Gotta at least try it right?
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #118
ninja250
You are sleeping

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #119
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
My contributing idea: Use a lot of duct tape because its the solution to everything
good for mouths too.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #120
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'd mostly be worried about tweeking the headtube.

Just weld some shopping cart wheels to the end of some 4130 and weld it on to the bike sticking off and give it a shot at 5mph knee dragging. I'll be the guinee pig if I can borrow the couch for a night or two.

Shall I get all MS paint about it or can you grasp my thought photo?

You see what the stunt guys do right?
They cage it on the bottom and peg it on the back and let it fall on that.
That will bend our ninja I bet. I don't know. Maybe not!

I think Mythbusters need to be involved in this one.
"Can you make a deathproof motorcycle?"
you guys will be short handed in tackling it yourself lol.