ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

bleeding brakes?

Okay, so until my class next week, I am going to do a lot of maintenance on my bike. I searched a few threads on here about bleeding brakes. I read someone suggesting zip tying the brakes to the handle bar over night to let the air bubbles come up. Is this even a thing? I am not sure if that would work or not, I think when I dropped the bike a month or so ago I let some hair in the brake lines, and this is why is feels "squishy"

Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:37 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, it's a real thing and works quite well when wrench turners run into brakes that are finicky about getting all the air out. Others use it as a preventative measure.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Water and air are the main enemies of a bike's brake systems.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:41 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This is a good How-To video on bleeding brakes - http://canyonchasers.com/video/howto/brakebleed.php

On the right there are more maintenance videos.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:04 PM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
I think when I dropped the bike a month or so ago I let some hair in the brake lines, and this is why is feels "squishy"
The brakes are a sealed hydraulic system. For air to get in, something would have to open up. And if that opening didn't get closed afterwards, you would no longer have brake pressure. It's possible for the little bit of air in the top of the reservoir to end up as little bubbles elsewhere in the system (ziptie on the brake lever lets them all rise back up), but you're not getting more air into the system without breaking something open.

Based on the previous owner's other work, it's possible that your brakes might need some sort of servicing. It's probably best to check over the whole thing just to make sure. Go through the Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual and do anything that you can't prove has already been done. That way you'll know your bike is up to snuff.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Please be careful working on your brakes by yourself. It's important that they're right.

Do you have someone trustworthy who's done quality brake work before and can help you?

Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:54 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
^ very true. If done incorrectly it could cost you your life.
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if you open the system get the right tools first and a bottle of fluid.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:56 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
even competent people fail when dealing with brakes all the time so you've been warned.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:42 PM   #8
ZeroGravity360

These comments turned negative very quickly lol is it a full moon today?

Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:43 PM   #9
ZeroGravity360

I might honestly stop posting on this forum because no matter what I post someone comes in with "you're going to die" comments. I'm over it seriously m

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:56 PM   #10
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
They're not purposely trying to tell you you're going to die to be mean. It's just a caution to be extra careful with brakes because they're kinda important to the operation of a bike. Ask @CycleCam303 how it felt to ride my bike with no front brakes lol. It's just one of those things you can't half-ass.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:03 PM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
You're welcome to try elsewhere but I'll bet you find a similar feel on other forums if not worse. We're just stressing to you that brakes are literally the most important thing to get right on a bike. Brakes are also the one thing that people mess up the more besides carbs. You're a new rider with little to no mechanical skill so yeah we're going to sound like a broken record until you start to show us you're getting ahead of the curve. Only you can choose to take a comment personal or not, that the power give to you as your own individual.

Instead of starting a new thread for every question you have(you been on a roll lately) try commenting on those other helpful threads we've made in the past. Its make it easier to reference good ideas and it show others you're at least doing your research.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:06 PM   #12
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
They're not trying to tell you you're going to die. It's just a caution to be extra careful with brakes because they're kinda important to the operation of a bike. Ask @CycleCam303 how it felt to ride my bike with no front brakes lol. It's just one of those things you can't half-ass.
This was the exact incident that comes to mind when I issues my first warning. Cameron is fairly competent with brakes having bled them a dozen times or so but he still had a hell of a time trying to fix Rebecca's.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:08 PM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
IIRC, this was the really awesome instructional video from STG on how to successfully bleed brakes.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Please wear your thick sleeves; this is the internet. If you'd like to really see a bunch of jerks, check out some of the gixxer forums and watch for asshats. Or check the OG ninja 250 site, where the only thing you'd be told was to check the faq and teach yourself...

Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:28 PM   #14
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I might honestly stop posting on this forum because no matter what I post someone comes in with "you're going to die" comments. I'm over it seriously m

Please understand this is the most useful and friendly forum you will find.

The advice you are given is not "negative" it is positive. People hear genuinely care about your well being.

You have said numerous times you are learning. That is great you are trying, but there are certain areas you don't want to try to do something if you don't know how or have the right tools.

Try the zip tie, don't open the system. See if it is better, if not ask someone else (knowledgeable) to test the feel. If you think something is still wrong then proceed with caution.

Being new, spend some time with the manual and get to know the bike. Borrow tools if you can't afford them.

I get the impression you have someone else you ride with once in a while. If so have them help.
YouTube is a good resource and so is this forum. Don't leave because you don't like the advice, understand it is there to help you and to teach you.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 08:02 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I bleed with a hand vacuum pump, it's quick and easy, takes about 2 mins, and it's done, no issues.

It comes in handy for other projects as well, and not an expensive tool, worth while adding to your toolbox.

Proper tools for the proper job done.

HFS (TMTm) 2 in 1 Brake Bleeder & Vacuum Pump Test Tuner Tool Kit New https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP60URE..._qc1AxbEEA2F0C

Also poor caliper maintenance can give the impression of air in the system, calipers need to be serviced with every pad change, it's one of the most overlooked items on any motorcycle.

If I was one of the people whom seemed a bit over the top, I'm sorry.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 08:13 PM   #16
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

The zip tie thing works. Give it a try over night and see how much that helps with your lever feel.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 08:38 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
They're not purposely trying to tell you you're going to die to be mean. It's just a caution to be extra careful with brakes because they're kinda important to the operation of a bike. Ask @CycleCam303 how it felt to ride my bike with no front brakes lol. It's just one of those things you can't half-ass.
I don't think I've heard this story, was there just no brake pressure at all

another, likely similar, story. A guy I raced against last season was a mechanic, he bled his brakes and swapped his brake pads before a race. Lap 3 of the race he noticed that his front brakes had gone completely out because he hadn't tightened up the banjo bolt and it had come loose under operation causing all of the brake fluid to leave the system. The end result, he had no front brake going into T1 at VIR South. There is little more terrifying than attempting to brake only to have nothing happen at any speed

With that said the actual process of bleeding the brakes is not so difficult, it is just important to take great care that everything is done properly. The brakes are the single most important tool at your disposal when it comes to the safe operation of a motorcycle

Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:15 PM   #18
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
This was the exact incident that comes to mind when I issues my first warning. Cameron is fairly competent with brakes having bled them a dozen times or so but he still had a hell of a time trying to fix Rebecca's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I don't think I've heard this story, was there just no brake pressure at all
Turns out the master cylinder was toast. The used replacement I bought was also toast.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:33 PM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Now that's just bad luck for the replacement to be toast as well

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:13 AM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I like to use a 30ml syringe and some tubing, force bleed from the caliper up to the MC, then 2 or 3 cycles of a normal brake bleed procedure to get that little bit of air left in the caliper.

It takes me longer to find my 8mm wrench for the bleed nipple than it does to bleed the front brakes.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:11 AM   #21
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

You get great, helpful advice, in almost every thread you make. You manage to find ways to complain or disagree with it in almost every thread you make.

Take it, don't take it. Leave don't leave.

This forum was fine without you, it'll be fine if you stay, and it'll be fine long after you are gone.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:48 AM   #22
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
You get great, helpful advice, in almost every thread you make. You manage to find ways to complain or disagree with it in almost every thread you make.

Take it, don't take it. Leave don't leave.

This forum was fine without you, it'll be fine if you stay, and it'll be fine long after you are gone.

I am going to say my piece before I leave here. You guys HAVE to know constatly saying stuff like this to a NEW rider is not encouraging at all!!! no one bit! you know what it does to a new rider? it makes us 1 not want to ask questions 2 get defensive 3 give up. This constant "you better do what I say exactly how I say or you might die" is not how you need to speak to a new rider who has legitimate questions. This forum might be friendly but not towards new riders. You either assume I should already know this **** or i am "dumb" "incompetent" or "I shouldnt be on a bike at all" go look at some of my past posts. These things HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN SAID TO ME! I am over it because I will not allow my self to be bullied, talked down to or told I am going to die almosy every time I have a question or concern. Some of you guys have been VERY helpful and I thank you VERY much! But some of you really need to work on your approach to new riders who dont have any experience and stop being so discouraging.

I wish you all well.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 08:01 AM   #23
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I am going to say my piece before I leave here. You guys HAVE to know constatly saying stuff like this to a NEW rider is not encouraging at all!!! no one bit! you know what it does to a new rider? it makes us 1 not want to ask questions 2 get defensive 3 give up. This constant "you better do what I say exactly how I say or you might die" is not how you need to speak to a new rider who has legitimate questions. This forum might be friendly but not towards new riders. You either assume I should already know this **** or i am "dumb" "incompetent" or "I shouldnt be on a bike at all" go look at some of my past posts. These things HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN SAID TO ME! I am over it because I will not allow my self to be bullied, talked down to or told I am going to die almosy every time I have a question or concern. Some of you guys have been VERY helpful and I thank you VERY much! But some of you really need to work on your approach to new riders who dont have any experience and stop being so discouraging.

I wish you all well.

Good luck

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99

Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:07 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
another faster option for stuck bubbles is to just take the thing off and turn it upside down a couple times and then bleed again

Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
it's because riding a motorcycle is srs bsns. and you CAN die. easily. by little mistakes. don't take it as negativity toward you as a person. take it as people trying to look out for a new rider. its new riders who often make mistakes and wind up dead. we don't like seeing that. so we try to give you the real deal on the things that can kill you. new riders often make the mistake of overconfidence. overconfidence on a motorcycle WILL get you in trouble. whether you die from that trouble or not can be a mix of luck and preparation like gear and training.

that said, you do have two separate brakes. and if you follow correct procedures its pretty hard to get your brakes in a position where they will randomly fail (unless you fail to torque bolts down correctly- then things just fall off) so i wouldn't worry TOO much. just take all the precautions you can when doing service because on a moto when something goes wrong, bad things happen fast. its not like a car. something as simple as a flat tire can lead to a high-side into the wrong side of traffic. i think we all know what happens with that.

so don't get upset. get attentive.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:53 AM   #26
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Well I guess that's that then, moving on....

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:16 AM   #27
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it's because riding a motorcycle is srs bsns.
Almost as srs bsns as Internet Spaceships are!

But yeah, you can die on a motorcycle, much higher chance than in a car. If that offends you, you should probably find another hobby.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:19 AM   #28
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
you know what it does to a new rider?
It keeps them alive

we've lost forum members to crashes before, more often than I'd like to admit. I've lost several friends to riding incidents off the forums as well. It's something no one wants to see.

There are members here who have been severely injured from this sport, myself included though luckily for me most of my injuries have been concussions and broken bones. I have to wear a knee brace to walk without pain for a while, likely until I can have surgery on my ACL in the fall/winter unless I am lucky and it heals on it's own. We currently have a mostly (if not completely at this point) inactive member who has lost use of an arm from a crash.

What we want to stress is that there are many risks associated with motorcycling, and the best course of action is to reduce as much risk as possible especially as a beginner

Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:26 AM   #29
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

I wish you all well.
It's not that we're wishing you ill, a lot of us have either lost mates or have been injured in accidents. We've all had close calls, it's the nature of the beast.

A good mate of mine botched a corner, hit a signpost and was almost split in two.

You need a mix of skill, attention & luck to survive on a bike.

Training, taking advice from experienced riders on board & taking it easy when you're new lowers the amount of luck you need in that mix.

You don't seem to take the advice you're given.
You're going to do what you're going to do
Good luck

Old June 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM   #30
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Not a matter of if but more a matter of when and, of course, how.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 02:53 PM   #31
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Not all riders who were new here feel the same. I was New when I first signed up.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:10 PM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/closed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Closed Thread