Old August 15th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Pros/cons: Standalone back protector vs. CE insert

I just scored a one-piece track suit. As is the norm (for some stupid reason) all it has is a lame foam back pad.

I will be upgrading to CE Level 2 back protection from ForceField. I have one of their CE Level 2 pads in my jacket and I'm sold.

The only question is whether to go with an insert or a standalone back protector.

The suit is race-tight (as in "suck it in and pull hard on the zipper, fatso" tight) so an insert would not shift in a crash.

Question: What are the pros and cons of an insert vs. a standalone protector, assuming both are CE Level 2 rated and a suit tight enough to keep the armor in place?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Pros:
Can choose between shapes that provide best protection vs fit into suit's pocket
Can choose better sizing to your torso vs suit's pocket
Can change suit's without maybe having to change chest/back protectors
Can more easily share with street gear
Maybe cheaper than suit specific armor

Cons:
May be uncomfortable fit with suit design/cut
May be harder to get on and need to have someone "push it down" in the back
Maybe more expensive vs suit specific armor
May not breath as well as suit specific armor
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Thanks. Similar to my own thinking for the most part, especially regarding shape and coverage... the pad is the standard diamond-shaped thing that's wide across the shoulders. It extends down to my waist or an inch above. Looking at the ForceField Sport Lite L2 protector, it seems to have slightly better coverage, but adds the bulk and restriction of a waist band.

The insert is actually a lot less expensive. The standalone protector I'm looking at is 200, the insert is 75. I'm willing to spend the extra bucks if there really is an advantage.

The thing that's killing me is that I actually own a standalone protector, from my Juggernaut shirt... but it's too bulky to fit under this suit without real discomfort. Yeah, it's THAT tight. I've worn it the past two days for my commute to get it broken in.

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You suit might break in enough to allow for your current back protector. Give it a chance and go from there. :\ That's how it goes....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

But... but... then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy new gear!!!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Do you have a second spare piece of lame foam insert to put in with the current one? I ask because my suit has a CE insert and it's just about as thick as two of those lousy pieces of foam that are supplied in a suit/jacket. Two foamy pieces should get you a rough idea for mocking up an insert if you want to test it out.

I know a lot of people use the strap-on spine protector because it stays in place better. However, if your suit is a little tight like you say it is, an insert will likely stay snug to your back nicely. It all depends on what combination of suit+armor feels best to you.

Gratz on the suit btw! One step closer to that track day.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Funny you mention that. In the closet I had a Joe Rocket insert pad the same shape... made of stiff PE foam (Ethafoam, I think) that I've stuck in there along with the OEM gray foam pad. Feels robust but it ain't certified. It'll do for now.

Unfortunately the pocket in my jacket is a different shape, or I'd just swap the insert I've got over to the suit when I wear it.

I suppose the most important question is whether or not a standalone protector would perform better in a crash or not. Hard to answer, I know... all we have are anecdotes. Anyone know of inserts that have failed to protect the rider in some way?

I look at it this way. The armor has to do three things:
  1. Stay in place
  2. Absorb/disperse impact forces
  3. Prevent point injury from contact with "sharp" objects (e.g. rocks, curbs)

Assuming the suit is tight enough to keep the armor from shifting (I'm confident that it is), then the first item is taken care of.

The second and third... well, the standalone protector wraps around your gut and extends farther down your back, so there's a little more coverage. Where the padding itself is, the performance should be the same (CE Level 2). Does the extra coverage really matter?

Old August 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think number 1 is going to be the biggest concern when comparing insert, vs stand-alone models. That's all going to come down to the suit fitment.

After that, yes, I think the stand-alone model covering more area is a good thing. Don't just think about your spine and shoulder blades, think about tailbone, kidneys, etc. All things to be concerned with.

I guess I'm more worried about the armor being certified for impact and staying in place than I am about those last X square inches of coverage. If you worry about extra coverage from a stand-alone unit, try wearing your current one for a ride or two (take out that foam) and see if the suit breaks in or not. My guess is it will stretch a little. If not, it might be necessary to find a thinner unit.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote