ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Holiday Rant

Bare with me, this is something that gets me slightly ticked off.

So the time is soon at hand where many different cultures will be celebrating some kind of holiday. However I find that people are now trying to make it too multicultural and politically correct. Some people call it a holiday tree not a Christmas tree. Seriously, if that's the case why not holiday candles instead of menorah.

The other thing is holiday wishing, you always have to say Happy Holidays. I celebrate Christmas so I say Merry Christmas. If I was to receive a Happy Hanukkah I wouldn't be the least bit offended. Why? Because I understand that the person is wishing me well and that regardless of what celebration was mentioned, I take it as a compliment.

The only time I think it's wrong is when a belief/tradition is forced upon somebody but that's a different story.

I think people should grow up and use their brains a little. If we were all a little more understanding we'd be years ahead of our time.

Rant is done and I feel a lot better now.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Hope the ACLU doesn't get wind of your post

Merry Christmas!!!!
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Happy December?
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Delta107
ninjette.org member

Name: Delta

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R - BLUE

I totally agree!
Delta107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Happy Festivus!
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

http://ecards.hallmarkcards.com.au/e...d=5857&cat=679
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I believe the reason a lot of companys say "Happy Holidays", is so that they include everyone. It also would not be right for a company to only acknowledge only one of the winter holidays, because just about every US based company has people of many different cultures, and religions working for them.

In other words, I agree with the term "Happy Holidays" as an accurate description of the season.

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

With all those other holidays, does that meant that I can take pretty much all of December and some of January off?
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #9
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Merry Christmas!

Funny how all those people that scream about us worshipping Christ on his birthday, are the first ones to put up a tree, lights, and spend thousands on gifts and food to celebrate something they dont believe in.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
Because I understand that the person is wishing me well and that regardless of what celebration was mentioned, I take it as a compliment.
Quote:
The only time I think it's wrong is when a belief/tradition is forced upon somebody but that's a different story.
Totally agree Rob

Quote:
I think people should grow up and use their brains a little. If we were all a little more understanding we'd be years ahead of our time.
I guess we know what to get you for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #11
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I agree 100%. I say Merry Christmas because it's the holiday I celebrate and I'm just as happy to receive a Happy Hanukkah from someone, it's all about being happy and friendly.

Luckily my employer HATES the term "happy holidays" just as much and asks us to say what we want.

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I believe the reason a lot of companys say "Happy Holidays", is so that they include everyone. It also would not be right for a company to only acknowledge only one of the winter holidays, because just about every US based company has people of many different cultures, and religions working for them.

In other words, I agree with the term "Happy Holidays" as an accurate description of the season.
Eh it's really just a lazy and cost effective way of resolving the situation. I understand that some people may feel left out, and a better way to resolve the situation would be to address the other holidays with a little more attention...but that may end up pissing some people off as well.

Can't win really...
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I agree with you, from a pesonal standpoint, if the general pool of people you are dealing with are more likely celebrating christmas, say merry christmas/whatever you like.

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Nobody mentioned my Hallmark link? You have to hit up an Australian/New Zeland Hallmark site for a free Merry Christmas e-card.

USA is really going down the tubes!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #15
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Sorry, I should have clarified I meant from person to person. I understand that from a business model point of view it's not feasible to put all the holidays individually or potentially miss one, for example at the end of a commercial. And as the number of people you address goes up the more likely some of them don't celebrate that holiday.

But again,from person to person Stop trying to be so politically correct, because the politicians are not exactly role models to follow. But don't take my word for it, this is my opinion and all this post should be doing is getting you to think and formulate your own stance on the issue. I threw it out here because ninjette.org is a friendly place and what's a better place to discuss an issue than on a good forum.

@ OldGuy

I'm not sure what you mean. You highlighted "use their brains a little" and then tell me we know what to get you for Christmas. I respect your opinion if it be it, but I just want to make sure i'm not misunderstanding you.

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Merry Christmas!

Funny how all those people that scream about us worshipping Christ on his birthday, are the first ones to put up a tree, lights, and spend thousands on gifts and food to celebrate something they dont believe in.
That is so true. Merry Christmas!
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #17
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Old December 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I just sat my kids down about the time they were three and told them:

"Look, there is no Easter Bunny, no Santa Claus, and no God. You're all alone in life, deal with it...Now, what do you want for Christmas?"

Happy Holidays, Ya'll.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #19
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
"Look, there is no Easter Bunny, no Santa Claus, and no God. You're all alone in life, deal with it...Now, what do you want for Christmas?"
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #20
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified I meant from person to person. I understand that from a business model point of view it's not feasible to put all the holidays individually or potentially miss one, for example at the end of a commercial. And as the number of people you address goes up the more likely some of them don't celebrate that holiday.

But again,from person to person Stop trying to be so politically correct, because the politicians are not exactly role models to follow. But don't take my word for it, this is my opinion and all this post should be doing is getting you to think and formulate your own stance on the issue. I threw it out here because ninjette.org is a friendly place and what's a better place to discuss an issue than on a good forum.

@ OldGuy

I'm not sure what you mean. You highlighted "use their brains a little" and then tell me we know what to get you for Christmas. I respect your opinion if it be it, but I just want to make sure i'm not misunderstanding you.
Don't worry I'm on your side of the table. My suggestion was you would like to see people get some brains for Christmas and truly understand what the season is all about.

Another thought is that they may have brains but they just lack the [fill in your own word] to use them.

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #21
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I just try to ignore it. Most people know that PC has gone a little overboard. If you let all the stuff in the world that is stupid get to you, you would probably go insane or at least pull all of your hair out.

With that being said, i hope you have a happy "non-specific holiday that is in the month of december (but doesn't have to be)"

Old December 8th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #22
vet415
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): '08 YZ250, '06 Katana 600, 06 Ninja 250, '06 YZ250

Here's wishing everyone an early "Merry Christmas"
vet415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #23
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
My best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #24
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

I have for a very long time said Happy Holidays, way before it became PC. Last year I was yelled at by total strangers for not saying Merry Christmas. Once it was when I was buying stuff and was speaking to the clerk as she greeted me, the guy behind me just went into this rant how it was wrong to say anything else, made me very uncomfortable. Sorry to say I am seeing more of it this year and so early.

Old December 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #25
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

Happy Holidays, Ya'll.
You're not serious, are you?

Merry Christmas!

Old December 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #26
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyCavies View Post
I have for a very long time said Happy Holidays, way before it became PC. Last year I was yelled at by total strangers for not saying Merry Christmas. Once it was when I was buying stuff and was speaking to the clerk as she greeted me, the guy behind me just went into this rant how it was wrong to say anything else, made me very uncomfortable. Sorry to say I am seeing more of it this year and so early.
Wow, well I don't stop people at the store or yell at them for that matter. If you say happy holidays i wont get offended, I don't know about you guys. It's people who go out of their way to say happy holidays when at heart they want to say Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah or people that get offended by saying a specific one that bug me.

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #27
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I have been yelled at for saying happy holidays as well.

Im not very big on holidays myself, most people nowadays seem to only celebrate being herded like sheep into department stores, and buy into a culture created by the retail industry. It's pretty pathetic, people get trampled and killed on "black Friday" because they seem to have no concept what Christmas is even about anymore, or any of the other winter holidays that people used to celebrate.

Ive been trying to get people to stop giving me presents on christmas for years, but nobody listens, and when I find out they got me something anyway, I "have" to buy them something as well, or else I end up making an ass of myself. Money is tight for a lot of people right now, but they will take on more debt, or blow what little cash they have, just to follow this decades old tradition.

For me all the holidays need to be, is a nice dinner with friends and family, nothing more, nothing less. I just don't understand all the hype over creeping corporate control over our personal lives.

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #28
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Ive been trying to get people to stop giving me presents on christmas for years, but nobody listens, and when I find out they got me something anyway, I "have" to buy them something as well, or else I end up making an ass of myself. Money is tight for a lot of people right now, but they will take on more debt, or blow what little cash they have, just to follow this decades old tradition.
I've tried this for years as well. I've finally gotten it through to most of my friends for both Christmas and birthdays. I tell them, listen, I'm most likely not gonna get you something you want or need, and your not gonna get me something I want or need, so save your money, and ill save mine, and we'll go grab a few beers.

Family on the other hand, is impossible, so I'm stuck with that one, but at least it's only a few people.

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #29
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Well you could go the thoughtful way.

Like this year for my GF the limit is 10$. Her friend had a Rubix Cube and she caught the bug so I figured she like one too. So I'm getting one from the dollar store and then printing 6 pictures and gluing them on the sides. Not only does it make it harder, it's makes it personal.

It's going to cost no more than 5$ but it shows I care. And that's what people forgot. They go out and buy expensive presents when really it's not the price that counts, it's the thought.

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #30
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I've always said Happy Holidays too.

I hate being reminded of the massive commercial enterprise that Christmas has become. Christmas isn't supposed to be about buying, too many people think it is though. I try to stay out of most stores during December.

I hope everyone has very Happy Holidays, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #31
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

am i the only one that is not getting that christmas spirit anymore?

i think it started last year..but this year its even worse. notice how normally when december hits everything is just more lively and whatnot. lately i forget its christmas time. i dunno, where is the christmas spirit people?!?! ahhh
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #32
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Talking

Rocket 250, I wish you a Very Merry Christmas!
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #33
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridxx View Post

i think it started last year..but this year its even worse. notice how normally when december hits everything is just more lively and whatnot. lately i forget its christmas time. i dunno, where is the christmas spirit people?!?! ahhh
Not to lecture but.....
I think the best way to get the spirit is to do something for others. I plan on taking my spoiled ( ) children to serve food at a soup kitchen (or something along those lines). I always make sure that we (the family) donate toys/foods during the holidays as well. I'm trying to make it a habit to do it on a regular basis - not just a holiday thing. (someone is always in need)

The best way to get something (love, spirit, respect) is to give some of it away. It will flow back to you naturally.

Old December 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
Not to lecture but.....
I think the best way to get the spirit is to do something for others. I plan on taking my spoiled ( ) children to serve food at a soup kitchen (or something along those lines). I always make sure that we (the family) donate toys/foods during the holidays as well. I'm trying to make it a habit to do it on a regular basis - not just a holiday thing. (someone is always in need)

The best way to get something (love, spirit, respect) is to give some of it away. It will flow back to you naturally.
I think you explained it quite well. No matter what belief's one has (or lack of) if everyone followed your advice, the world would be a much better place.

Old December 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #35
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Joyeux Noel

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #36
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridxx View Post

No, I feel it too. It's hard to describe, it's just not there. I don't know what to say because i'm not doing anything that different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
Not to lecture but.....

I did that 2 years ago. It was nice. Makes you see not everybody has it good and it makes you realize the things you do have and appreciate them.

Although just a suggestion, don't bring them alone. Go with some cousins or friends that will do it too. Makes it that much better.

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #37
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

If you want to have fun just say "Hari Kristna" and folks will say back "Merry Christmas"

ok it is dumb but it is my little bit of xmas fun!! Hari Kristna!!!

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #38
zartan

Quote:
Well you could go the thoughtful way.

Like this year for my GF the limit is 10$. Her friend had a Rubix Cube and she caught the bug so I figured she like one too. So I'm getting one from the dollar store and then printing 6 pictures and gluing them on the sides. Not only does it make it harder, it's makes it personal.

It's going to cost no more than 5$ but it shows I care. And that's what people forgot. They go out and buy expensive presents when really it's not the price that counts, it's the thought.

I like this.

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #39
zartan

Quote:

Happy Holidays, Ya'll.
What do you mean No Easter Bunny. you need your head examined!!!!
DUH ?who hides the eggs?? bah!

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #40
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Joyeux Noel
Merry Christmass to you as well.