ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 11th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Been a while

since I've been on the board, everyone I rode here with has quit riding, losers!

But seriously, I've been riding since 1974 and riding IS who I am.

Took me a while to find a Muzzy for my pre-gen and found a good one but was not wanting to use the Muzzy muffler. So I came up with the idea that the late model GSXR750 canister was titanium, had plenty of flow capability and should be fairly quiet even connected to the Muzzy headpipe. I WAS RIGHT!

The GSXR can IS quieter than the Muzzle, but louder than stock, is a little raspy and sounds totally bitchin' at anything over idle!

The Muzzy has a deeper tone at idle but starts sounding puny when revving it.
The GSXR can sounds like a much bigger, very mean motorcycle!

The GSXR exhaust pulse is also quit a bit stronger than the Muzzy.

Have not dyno'd either, but will with the GSXR can. It is the one that will be on the bike and will be jetted for when complete.

The GSXR canister new from Suzuki is something on the order of stupid at >$1300 but can be had off ebay for a paltry $56 that I paid for mine...

REALLY looking forward to having it all completed with a centerstand/airbox delete, single pod, factory pro jet kit.

Fell in love with another 2 wheeler lately, my Merlin road bicycle.
6 months and 1800 miles into my 'cycling career' so far.
Sipper' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Welcome back! The GSXR cannisters are pretty much flow-through, aren't they? I thought the last gen or two of them had much of the actual "muffler" hidden underneath the bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Welcome back! The GSXR cannisters are pretty much flow-through, aren't they? I thought the last gen or two of them had much of the actual "muffler" hidden underneath the bike.
I think the can just deflects the sound more or less. As with many of the stock big super sports, the cat (under the bike in the midpipe) deadens most of the sound. Is it by design? I don't have a clue. Like the one on my r6 is 18lbs and kills so much sound, I can pass low db sound requirements even with the gp can on it. YMMV from bike to bike and gen to gen.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

It's baffled somehow, will look at it and try to describe it when I can.

Old April 1st, 2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Bike is almost ready to ride, pipe is done, airbox off, K&N pod on, initial jetting done.

Waiting on cooperative weather but upon some parking lot riding, bike revs much quicker and throttle response is very fast now. Bike feels very lively and crisp and MUCH quicker at least through the first two gears. It is barely louder than stock, and much of that is intake noise. Cannot wait to get a good ride in.

Old April 15th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #6
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Just got through riding the bike for the first time and WOW!
Doesn't seem anything like the same bike. Revs quickly, makes a little noise, until you really rev it under load, then the intake honk is huge! Makes much more power, or at least feels/sounds like it, but it does indeed pull much better. Pulls a full 2k more revs in top gear, 12.5k vs 10.5k with 15-39 gearing(MT75 tires). Not sure how fast that was but it was moving pretty good.

Needs a little carb adjustment as the bottom end/ light throttle is hesitant/jerky at the same time.

Old April 15th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Interesting. My CBR w/out a can is really loud.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote