Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Has anyone taken the BRC 2 course?

If so, is it worth it? For $125, it is neither cheap nor expensive. It's right there in the middle.

For those who took both the BRC & BRC2 class, how much more advanced is the BRC2 class?

Reason why I'm asking....it's been 10 years since I've ridden a bike. Just put 1,000 on the ninja these past few months. Surprisingly, hopping back on after a 10 year hiatus is just like riding a bike. You just don't forget!

However, I've noticed that I lost some of my smoothness when it comes to transitions (braking, accelerating, linking turns, etc). Although I may be able to ride off the rust on my own, for $125, I thought it'll be a fun experience to take the BRC2 class. I remember the BRC class was a complete blast 10 years ago. Hopefully the BRC2 course will be just as fun and hopefully it'll refresh my memory in terms of safety and riding defensively.

Let me hear your opinions about the BRC2 course.

I also plan on taking the ARC course in the future. If you guys have experience with that class, please don't be shy....let me hear your opinion!
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #2
MamaRider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tammy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I have taken the course and it was the best thing I could have done. The instructor got me out of my bad habits and learned stuff I wasn't aware of. I like their road test after the classes. So simple. Just need to pay attention and retain it.
MamaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The BRC2 is very similar to the BRC. Is it really so much more advanced than the BRC? No, but you do have the option of using your own bike, which can be a plus. The format is about the same and there are a few new drills that are only part of the BRC2. Is it worth it? That would be up to you but after a 10yr break from riding, it certainly can not hurt.

Maybe one day, I will take the time to get the training to coach this course too.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

BRC2 used to be called the Experienced Rider Course, or ERC. It's essentially the BRC+ with you using your bike instead of a school bike. Definitely a good thing to have a trained instructor looking at what you're doing so they can help diagnose what you may have forgotten in 10 years of not riding. The structured exercises (again, with the observer) are a great way to practice some of the basics and get feedback.

As for the ARC, it's a stellar course. I've taken both the ARC and the military variant (Military Sportbike Rider's Course), and there are a couple of exercises that are awesome for bike awareness. If you're noticing smoothness issues, I'd recommend the BRC2 first, then letting that training soak in for a few miles (~500? ish?), and then hitting up the ARC. This is me on my Concours back when I took the ARC for the first time, it's a hoot!

Old May 8th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
or for about the same price you could go to a track day and have a control rider follow you and give you advice

Old May 8th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
or for about the same price you could go to a track day and have a control rider follow you and give you advice
I thought about making that comment, but the aspect of street safety is somewhat lost.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Street safety is extremely important to me as I only ride on public roads. Haven't been to a track yet. But it's something on my to do list.

I'm a tad nervous with the BRC2 because I'm using my own bike....don't want to push my limits that much and end up dropping it!

With the bikes they provided in the BRC (10 yrs ago), I was constantly scraping foot pegs on turns. Felt like a badass! But with the ninjette, I have yet to scrape anything.

I think after the BRC2, I'll sign up for the ARC late in the summer.

Maybe next year I'll try the track. I don't have the funds (to purchase full leathers, race boots and snell helmet) for the track. Currently, I'm riding with textile jacket and pants and a DOT helmet along with TCX X-Cube boots. (All Icon and Joe Rocket gear).

I guess I'll do a little research, but generally what is required (both rider and bike) for a track day lesson?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

BRC2 then ARC followed by trackday next riding season sounds like a really good plan.

Most trackday orgs allow textile gear in the beginner group as long as it zips together. DOT helmet (most racing orgs require SNELL) is fine for trackdays, and motorcycle specific boots and gauntlet gloves round out the gear reqs. You don't necessarily need toe-sliders on the boots, they just have to come up high enough to overlap with your pants / leathers. Back protectors are generally recommended, but usually only required for the advanced group. For the bike you'll have to tape up the lights and mirrors (or remove the mirrors), use the wide painter's tape. Most trackday orgs are pretty lenient with the requirements for the novice group (you can still run regular coolant, etc) and you most likely won't have to safety-wire anything, but will have to do things like duct-taping your wheel weights down. Just make sure your bike is in good working order and all you should have to do at most places is tape up the lenses.

Not sure what size you are, but CycleGear.com has size 44(US) BILT 1-piece leathers on sale for $179.00. Sportbiketrackgear.com is another good place to keep an eye out for closeout deals on leathers.

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

All motorcycle safety courses (BRC, BRC2 and the ARC) are free in Pa.
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote