ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 6th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Unhappy Strange Noise please help

Hey all,
What I Own: I have a ninja 250r 2012 that I have owned for about 3 months, ~2400 mi.

What is the Problem: Last week I noticed a noise but was unable to duplicate it. Since then it has gotten worse. Every time I pass 5000 rpm on the way down (I think in every gear but I was able to definitively duplicate it in at least gears 3,4, and 5. Havn't had time to verify other gears yet) I hear a vvvvt, or doubled vvt vvt. noise. Similar to an engine rev with a higher pitch. Another way to describe it might be sound like something moving quickly against something else, like a power sander hitting a wall. I think it might happen on the way up as well but is covered by the engine noise at that point. I didn't give it a shot in neutral, but it doesn't seam to do it when the clutch is pulled, only when the engine is engaged.

What have I tried: You Tube, Google, and forums. Plenty of info on ticks, bings, rattles, and the like but I can't find anything related to this. I know I probably shouldn't be, but I am really worried about this so please help.

Thank you so much,
Darkspy72
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Are your keys vibrating on the triple? Is your clutch lever vibrating? Are your engine mount bolts torqued to spec? Are there loose fairing bolts? Are there loose bolts on any of the brackets up front?

Check the easy stuff first. 5k-6k is a natural spot where things that vibrate tend to resonate.

Does the sound seem to come from your engine specifically or just from the bike in general?
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input

I don't think that is it. It last for 1 maybe 2 seconds, very quick. It also sounds more like rubbing or friction than any kind of shaking. It sounds like its coming from the engine or at least inside the bike but that Is something I will have to check on. Not sure exactly how to do that though since I have to be moving to make it happen. I'll try to sustain it if I can, but when I briefly tried hovering at 5000 it seemed to kick it several times rather than cause a continuous noise.

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Red face New Development

After some tests here are the results:
1. It seems like it might be a "cold" weather issue. After sitting in the sun (90 degrees) all day I couldn't get the sound back the whole drive home, despite being able to produce it on command at the end of the morning commute. This morning: 62 degrees. I brought the bike from its warm garage and couldn't get the sound to happen. At almost the exact same place on the way in as yesterday (5 mi, and 20 min later) after doing 50 in the cold, the sound came back. Easily producible anytime by letting off the gas above 5000 rpm.
2. It sounds exactly like an engine rev. but higher pitched and happens without touching the gas. The sound cannot be sustained only repeated. It appears to not happen when the gas is on full and the effect is decreased by applying small amounts of gas. Also, I was able to produce the effect in neutral, but to an almost unnoticeable degree. I cannot determine with any reliability where the sound is coming from but it sounds like from the engine.

My real question here: is not "What is wrong?" although if you have insight it is appreciated. but rather "Should I be concerned / take it in?" Thank you all.

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Might be helpful if you can put up a sound byte or video. Everybody describes sounds differently, but from what it sounds like from your description, the engine is changing tone once it becomes warm, which is normal. If it ain't, clanking, banging, grinding, popping, clicking or ticking extremely loud continously, I wouldn't worry about it. With the amount of miles you have on it, I doubt it's anything major unless you've been abusing the bike.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Wanted to let everyone who came by here with my problem know: It turned out to be resonance. Once I took my helmet off and got my head down beside the bike instead of overtop the sound completely changed and it became obvious what it was. Not sure exactly where it's coming from, I'm just glad it's nothing serious. It can be annoying with all my city driving though.

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Thanks for the update.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote