ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

how long....

In the effort of getting to know people around here...I have a couple of questions for you...

how long have you been riding?

&

What got you interested in motorcycles?

I have never been on a bike except when i ride .....on the back. I have always been interested in motorcycles and thought they were super cool since i was 16...but i knew myself and i knew that i would kill myself if i went and got a bike at a younger age. So I patiently waited and waited until i felt i was more responsible enough to trust myself on a motorcycle. Now in my early 30's, I think i'm ready to ride. I just need to buy a motorcycle
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have been riding bikes, starting with dirt bikes, since I was 12 years old. I have always been interested in bikes since I was young.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

i got interested in motorcycle when i saw steve mcqueen ride a bike in the movie the great escape...you weren't even born yet...it was just so exhilirating see him go cross country from farm to farm in that great open field trying to escape the nazis...

since then i vowed to get a bike...at that time there was no msf and i had to learn on my own and have been riding since i was in high school...

so far i have logged over 100,000 miles here and there...

btw, welcome blackwidow just don't bite me..
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
where?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21539&

some others

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10277

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9937

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9817
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM   #5
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

ha, ha...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I always thought sportbikes looked interesting and cool (LOL)... but I never thought I would get on one myself, until my boyfriend took the course. He needed gloves for the course, so we went to the dealership to look around and the SHINYNESS got me. After seeing how he did in the course and seeing him pass the road test with flying colours a week later, I decided to give it a try myself.

I had a bit of a rough time... Most people's learning curve is like this:

Mine was more like this:

I started riding last July.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I have been riding bikes, starting with dirt bikes, since I was 12 years old. I have always been interested in bikes since I was young.
do you still ride dirt bikes?

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
i got interested in motorcycle when i saw steve mcqueen ride a bike in the movie the great escape...you weren't even born yet...it was just so exhilirating see him go cross country from farm to farm in that great open field trying to escape the nazis...

since then i vowed to get a bike...at that time there was no msf and i had to learn on my own and have been riding since i was in high school...

so far i have logged over 100,000 miles here and there...

cool story...i likey.
lol thank you gitoy! i promise not to bite....hard.

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post

I had a bit of a rough time... Most people's learning curve is like this:

Mine was more like this:

I started riding last July.
Point is you learned, and thats all that matters. I've heard riders that have been riding for yeeeears say everyday they learn something new. So its always a learning curve!

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have not rode a dirt bike in years. I miss it a lot. HHMM time to get one again.

Last futzed with by Snake; July 21st, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Point is you learned, and thats all that matters. I've heard riders that have been riding for yeeeears say everyday they learn something new. So its always a learning curve!
Definitely! It just sucked when everyone in my course seemed to catch on perfectly well in the 2 days, and I didn't. A few extra lessons and some riding around with the boyfriend did the trick. I managed to pass the road test on my first attempt, and I know some of the people in the course did not.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #12
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Got my first bike in 1983. It was a Kawi 650 LTD (or something like that). Road that bike until the tires fell off. Literally. Over the years I have ridden friends cruisers (mostly) but have never owned a bike of my own. Had a room mate who had two bikes so I used to ride with him quite a bit. Some time while I was in the army, I did a temporary trade with this guy who had a bike because he needed a car for family that was visiting him. He had a Kawi Ninja (I think it was a 900cc). I really enjoyed that bike for the couple of weeks I had it. Always thought I would pick one up (sport bike) myself. Years later, I did.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM   #13
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I've only been riding for a few months. I am a really big car enthusiast and with that I've always been interested in performance machines. I've always been interested in kawasaki ninjas since I was little. Me and my bro always would talk about them every so often. Then as I read up on riding and watching motorcycle racing and such I ended up really wanting a motorcycle. I enjoy my ninja a lot, the handling is superb, the ability to cut though corners is amazing, and leaning though a curve going at 55 mph while my car couldn't do the same (at least not as easily without some controlled over-steer) really talks to the enthusiast of motor sport in me.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Dirt bike at age 10. And on and off through age 22 icluding racing mx and working at a dealer. Then out of the saddle for 2 decades. Then ninja 250R, now CBR. Nothing replaces feeling of a motorcycle. Tried fast cars, skiing, mtn biking. All fun but for me twisting the throttle rules.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Definitely! It just sucked when everyone in my course seemed to catch on perfectly well in the 2 days, and I didn't. A few extra lessons and some riding around with the boyfriend did the trick. I managed to pass the road test on my first attempt, and I know some of the people in the course did not.
you go girl!!!! thats awesome. Ya everyone goes at their own pase. so its good you didn't give up and passed the test!

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM   #16
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I've only been riding for a few months. I am a really big car enthusiast and with that I've always been interested in performance machines. I've always been interested in kawasaki ninjas since I was little. Me and my bro always would talk about them every so often. Then as I read up on riding and watching motorcycle racing and such I ended up really wanting a motorcycle. I enjoy my ninja a lot, the handling is superb, the ability to cut though corners is amazing, and leaning though a curve going at 55 mph while my car couldn't do the same (at least not as easily without some controlled over-steer) really talks to the enthusiast of motor sport in me.
so since you've been riding for only a few months...any regrets? or are you happy with your decision?

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM   #17
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Dirt bike at age 10. And on and off through age 22 icluding racing mx and working at a dealer. Then out of the saddle for 2 decades. Then ninja 250R, now CBR. Nothing replaces feeling of a motorcycle. Tried fast cars, skiing, mtn biking. All fun but for me twisting the throttle rules.
Posted via Mobile Device
i totally understand. though i have never "really" been riding on a bike, during the MSF coarse while on a bike, you feel the rush and the freedom you can only feel on a motorcycle. i think i fell in love with the idea of riding all over again.

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #18
gideonpoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Gideon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've been riding bikes of my friends for a few years, mostly cbrs. I was always interested in bikes though, when I was little and didn't have license yet I wanted a little mini chopper 50cc, just so I could ride. Never happened though. Now that I'm older me and my brother studied on a lot of bikes, and finally decided that Ninja's was for us. So he got a 650R and I got the 250R, 2 months in now and I am lovin' it. Still can't believe I got one, but I love waking up everyday and see it sitting there.

Old July 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM   #19
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

I've wanted a bike for as long as I can remember. My first magazine subscription as a kid was Cycle Canada, and I remember one of the first issues I got they were doing a story on the CBR1100XX and how it was the fastest production bike in the world (at least that's how i remember it). Ever since then I've loved bikes but couldn't really afford one.

a couple months ago I woke up one morning and decided to get my license and now if everything goes as planned I'll be picking up my new blue ninja 250 on Friday w00t!
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM   #20
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

how long have you been riding?
Over a million miles. Some fast and some slow.

Old July 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM   #21
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I've had my bike for about a month. Took the MSF course two weeks ago and got my license. I don't have a lot of time to ride so I just have about 100 miles of riding under my belt now. I go out on Saturday and Sunday mornings early before the traffic starts and ride for an hour or so. I'm 38 years old so this is my way of trying something new. I used to race cars and I'm a total gearhead (I have four cars) so transitioning into motorcycles has been a very natural progression for me, but I had no clue how to ride so it's been quite a learning curve.

Old July 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM   #22
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
so since you've been riding for only a few months...any regrets? or are you happy with your decision?
Nope, no regrets Lovin' every minute There is nothing quite like riding a motorcycle; It is a lot of fun!

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM   #23
green_sag
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kiyoji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

ive been riding for a year just about (i got my license a week ago last year), i have been interested in biking since i was 12 or so, i was always the kid who saw people riding down the street and said "thats gonna be me some day"
green_sag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #24
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I've been riding for a little over 2 yrs, got one because I knew that I was going to need another vehicle soon and the 60 mpg convinced my wife. A friend of mine kinda talked me into it, then I ended up buying his 250. Always wanted one.

nb

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #25
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I grew up on a horse farm and riding (but am no cowboy to be sure). I started wanting a bike when I was in high school but knew I would kill myself so like many i waited untill I had more respect for the power. after college I had a friend who was going to sell me a 2002 r6 becasue he was moving up to an r1. I was on my way to get an isurance quote when I came upon an accident just as ambulances arived... A couple were riding and they had a car turn infront of them, they T-boned it. neither were wearing a helmet and both had shorts on (squids to be sure) well I decided I had better learn on something a little more forgiving so I got a used YZ-125 and learned motorcycle control in the dirt and back roads. I was starting to save for a street bike then I saw the new-gen 250r and was hooked, been riding it for about 8 months now, but did about 5 years on my yz out on the country and back roads of New Mexico.