ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Smile almost got my motorcycle

So yesterday I went to berts to look at bikes, those of you who have been following my whining know that i'm impatiently waiting to get my bike.

Anyway, I took everyones advice on everything, i went to the shop and sat on a gazillion different bikes, even cruisers (not my thing), anyway, to my GREAT surprise, I was able to touch the ground (flat foot) with one leg on the ninjette. It was sooo weird, some of the ninjettes i was able to while others i wasn't able to, the boyfriend had to hold the bike up for me. Is that normal? So I got a hold of a rep and wow, he was an idiot. Very unhelpful and really, thanks to him, i walked out the door bikeless. he just completely seemed unmotivated and was more interested in what my boyfriend had as a bike then actually selling me one. In any case, after looking at the bike, i noticed that their price was almost 1500$ more then the one at kawasaki dealers. I'm a great haggler, but being the dude was an idiot, i figured i didn't want to waste my time.

I also checked out gear, and again, as many of you advised...i tried on a gazillion different brands. I really liked the scorpian jackets, but those things were super heavy, the ICONs were nice, but very tricky...i was a size small on some and others a medium. I got into the stance of riding a motorcycle while having the gear on, and really learned what size is best for me. I did the same with gloves and helmets.

So basically this thread is my way of saying THANK YOU to all that have helped me and gave me great advice. I have a better idea of what i'm looking for and how to get the best for my buck.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'd call the owner of the business you visited and tell him the treatment you receive from his sales help.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Anyone ever tell you to take a glance at craigslist? You can find old gen ninja 250s there for less than 2k.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'd call the owner of the business you visited and tell him the treatment you receive from his sales help.
What would be the point? Its his loss he lost the business, I don't want to get the idiot in trouble or fired.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustler753 View Post
Anyone ever tell you to take a glance at craigslist? You can find old gen ninja 250s there for less than 2k.
YUP, i've been doing that....but here is my problem, i don't have cash on hand at the moment to buy from a private party...i really wish i did. I'm waiting for my bonus check, once i do, then i can really disect craigs list. Each passing day i become more and more impatient.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Good for you! I found the dealer that had the most Min-Nin's instock and virety of years, They are more likely to bargin on an earlier year Ninja than they are for the current one. I got mine for just a smidge over $3000 and it's an 09 and HAD 3 miles on it. Alot of people will overlook a previous year model and get the newest one eventhough there is no difference except with color. and the other thing is when you find gear you like try to get everything all in one whack when you buy your bike if you can. I got my Icon jacket and Joe Rocket gloves for free with my bike so that was like another $250 off the price.

Best of luck to you!!!

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Oh yea and try to pit one dealer against another, haggle with one and then get the quote written down tell them you want to think about it. Go to another and tell them x dealer was willing to give it to you for X price and see if they want to beat it.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Just remember when it comes to gear, it should fit snug. Someone who wears a large jacket for instance might be better off with a medium riding jacket.

Sorry to hear that the sales person was not helpful. I have heard this story before from other women looking to buy a bike; that the sales people do not treat them as serious buyers, and often view the boyfriend/husband as the one buying the bike. A local shop near me actually hosts a "ladies night" specifically designed for women shoppers.

Anyway, best of luck to you. If you're patient, you will find something that you will love.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9
kkim

Great job, Paulette. You'll find that perfect bike when the time is right. Until then, keep on searching and learn as you go.

You're going through what every bike owner most likely has in their lifetime. Bum service from sales guys and finding that clothes from different manufacturers are sized and cut differently (which is why the advice to try stuff on before you buy, bike included).

Just be sure to take what you've learned when shopping for a helmet... one of the most crucial pieces of gear that you will own.

Have fun
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Good job in doing the "walk out the door" approach.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #11
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I'd never buy a bike from Bert's---just me. I have my own stories and issues with them.

I do go there all the time---just to checkout the bikes and mess with the reps. They have a great selelction as far as gear goes, but man oh man the reps there are not the best of help.....maybe they didn't take you seriously?

I'd wait till you have Ca$h in hand and buy from Craigslist....patience is virtue.....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #12
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

when i went to the nyc bike show in january i sat on three different 2010 ninja 250's. all of them we're different heights. i asked a someone on the floor (who happened to be the president of the kawasaki dealership at the show) why i was able to reach the floor comfortably and he said that not all his ninja's have the same seat height. he lined them up and could see that some we're shorter than others...so try on as many ninja's as you can.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:53 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
when i went to the nyc bike show in january i sat on three different 2010 ninja 250's. all of them we're different heights. i asked a someone on the floor (who happened to be the president of the kawasaki dealership at the show) why i was able to reach the floor comfortably and he said that not all his ninja's have the same seat height. he lined them up and could see that some we're shorter than others...so try on as many ninja's as you can.
dunno about that... that would speak volumes on his product's quality control. That being said, I believe any 250 she purchases could be made shorter quite easily w/o having her try on as many 250s as possible to find the shortest one.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM   #14
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

The only thing I can think is that maybe the rear shocks had different preload settings, but I don't see how that could happen straight from the factory.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Dealer could have screwed with the shocks, I've seen some bikes some dealers were selling new that were subtlety changed. Good luck though! I hope you get the mc you are looking for! You are on your way

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #16
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Have you tried Del Amo Motorsports? I know they have a bunch of Ninjettes. A couple of my friends at work have gotten good bike deals there in the past year.

I keep going there for service, I've never gotten an answer that sounded like they're making it up as they go along. Good tire deals too, buy the tire from them at a competitive price and they'll mount it for $25.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote