ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Xaero
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Honda CB500xA

Oil leak

I have an oil leak on my 2004 Ninja 250 I just acquired. I noticed it after starting it and bringing it up to temp. About 5 days later there was a small puddle of oil. I don't know much about the bike except the kid and dropped it (not registered, no license). He also wrecked his car once he got his license so his father basically gave it to me for dirt cheap because of the car wreck. They changed the oil just after they got it in December. All I know.

Has cracked windshield, cracked fairing (doesn't look damaged from a distance) and an oil leak. Forks are fine. Shifter looks bent but its on opposing side of faring cracks.

Based on the fact they changed the oil on it I am thinking they put to much oil in it based on forum facts. I don't know where the airbox is but from what I read extra oil gets pushed in there and ends up leaking out. The leak looks like it is on the left side of the engine from what I can tell. I have a few pictures I took that I have on Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6xrp3tfwy7j21i/f6524RUytC
Xaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

It is highly possible that the leak is from your generator cover, I just had to replace mine. But things like that are expected of something that old
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

Ive had a slow leak for the longest. I ordered a straot gasket but never put it on cuz i was never forsure where its coming from and to be honest really doesnt bother me that much. If i find it screwing around one day sure ill replace it then but im not going lookin for anything else to fix at the moment im tired. Lol
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero View Post
....I have an oil leak on my 2004 Ninja 250.... They changed the oil just after they got it in December. All I know.

....Based on the fact they changed the oil on it I am thinking they put to much oil in it based on forum facts. I don't know where the airbox is but from what I read extra oil gets pushed in there and ends up leaking out. The leak looks like it is on the left side of the engine from what I can tell. I have a few pictures I took that I have on Dropbox.
The fact that "they" changed the oil is a clue. From the amount of oil leaking around the filter, it's a good bet that one of the o-rings is damaged and needs replacing or the oil bolt needs proper torquing.

If oil is leaking from the airbox, it would/should be coming from a hose. If the crankcase is overfilled, it would leak from a hose at the top of the engine, just underneath the airbox.

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

First thing is first, you don't know how they changed the oil and what they used.

To be safe, change all the fluids, most importantly the oil just to make sure you are running what the engine needs.

As mentioned before, change the oil filter and gaskets for the oil filter holder, then if you still have an oil leak, look for other possible problems.
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Xaero
ninjette.org member

Thanks all for the replies! I am going to change the oil on it as soon as possible. I bought Synthetic 10W-40 Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil (says 4T Racing) and a Fram CH2012 filter.

I have a couple more questions, couple related to other issues with the Ninja:

Where is the oil filter located?

The chain looks really dry. Does the 2004 model require chain lube? I bought some Champion chain lube and some Due Pont Motorcycle chain degreaser to clean it with. A friend told me to check with Kawasaki to see if that is a chain that needs to be lubed every so often. He lubes his but its a 2012 model.

The Ninja will not idle unless choke is on. I warmed her up and turned off the choke, kept it throttled up to 8k for a few seconds (no choke!). Let go of throttle and she sputtered, choked, chucked and tried to idle but died in only a few seconds. I read elsewhere that I should toss some Seafoam into the tank. However they don't mention how much to use or if I should have a full or empty tank. All I know is that it fixed their similar issue. I also read people cleaning out the jets (which is what Seafoam does) or adjusting the idle screw fixes the issue. I really don't want to touch the idle screw.

Does it not allow you to shift up while standing still? It goes into first fine. Has a great "friction zone" for the clutch (way better than the safety course bike I used this weekend to get my MSC certification, I hated that bike with a passion). But when I click it up it only goes into neutral and won't go up to 2nd. I have not rode it yet to see if it will shift up while rolling (don't want to drive it with the idle issue).

I anticipated the bike would have a few kinks to work out.

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Is the plug on too loose? Did they lube the chain using low viscosity motor oil that flung off?

The oil filter is a cartridge that is inside the star shaped circular plate in img0111.jpb and in most of the pictures. The drain plug is the other bolt. There is a nick on the drain bolt, which may be a clue to it being damaged. If I were you I would change the oil, clean up all the leaked oil, and then run the engine. Oil leaks downward, so look for the highest point of the leak. Some people have suggested spreading talcum powder or similar on the engine to track down the source of the leak.

Sounds like it needs a carb cleaning. It has to be moving to shift, that is Kawasaki's positive neutral finder.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero View Post
Thanks all for the replies! I am going to change the oil on it as soon as possible. I bought Synthetic 10W-40 Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil (says 4T Racing) and a Fram CH2012 filter.

I have a couple more questions, couple related to other issues with the Ninja:

Where is the oil filter located?

The chain looks really dry. Does the 2004 model require chain lube? I bought some Champion chain lube and some Due Pont Motorcycle chain degreaser to clean it with. A friend told me to check with Kawasaki to see if that is a chain that needs to be lubed every so often. He lubes his but its a 2012 model.

The Ninja will not idle unless choke is on. I warmed her up and turned off the choke, kept it throttled up to 8k for a few seconds (no choke!). Let go of throttle and she sputtered, choked, chucked and tried to idle but died in only a few seconds. I read elsewhere that I should toss some Seafoam into the tank. However they don't mention how much to use or if I should have a full or empty tank. All I know is that it fixed their similar issue. I also read people cleaning out the jets (which is what Seafoam does) or adjusting the idle screw fixes the issue. I really don't want to touch the idle screw.

Does it not allow you to shift up while standing still? It goes into first fine. Has a great "friction zone" for the clutch (way better than the safety course bike I used this weekend to get my MSC certification, I hated that bike with a passion). But when I click it up it only goes into neutral and won't go up to 2nd. I have not rode it yet to see if it will shift up while rolling (don't want to drive it with the idle issue).

I anticipated the bike would have a few kinks to work out.
Id clean the carbs work on the valves and clean all the oil up then you can. change the oil and change the coolant. leave all plastic off start it up sync the carbs. after all this is done then take it for a ride around the block with no plastic on. bring it back home and finding the leak will be simple.

Old June 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Xaero
ninjette.org member

Sorry for late reply. A lot of good things have happened since then (like me taking the riders safety course and getting my motorcycle license!).

I changed the oil. The oil filter looked like it was never changed. I put Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in it (1.8 quarts) and Fram filter from Walmart.

I put in about a half of bottle of SeaFoam and new gas into the tank and ran it for awhile. After several tries and several days it did not fix it. I rode it to the shop (great first ride, right?). They took the carbs apart and said they were clean as a whistle. They found the carbs were way out of sync and the idle screw was screwed all the way in.

They also looked for the oil leak at the shop and could not find it. It seem's to have sealed itself by simply driving the Ninja. I have not seen any oil the several times I have driven it after I got it back from the shop. They said it runs incredibly good for its age.

I do have two more issues that have cropped up.

1. At high speeds I feel a slight wobble. It may just me being new and wind. Does not increase or decrease if I am between 60 and 80.

2. The Ninja died on me when I was riding to work today. I was in 5th gear doing about 55, around 6k RPM's. Car slowed down in front of me and just before I dropped gears it dropped to 0 RPM (dead). I rolled to a stop on the side of the road and the Ninja started back up. Was a bit weird going into 1st gear and the throttle was acting like it was not wanting to give it gas. It started acting fine just a mile later. In the parking lot I noticed its wanting to move forward when I try to start in first gear a little. Maybe my clutch cable is going out or needs adjusting (or throttle)? Another thing that could be a problem is the SeaFoam. At the shop it had SeaFoam. Now there should be very little in it.

I am still very new so diagnosing issues with the Ninja has been an interesting experience. Around 150 miles total newbie!

Edit: Forgot to say I cleaned the chain and re-lubed it. Rode about 50 miles on the interstate after. That was yesterday, before today's stall.

Old June 5th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gratz on taking the safety course and getting your endorsement. Stay committed to safety and continue training every couple of years or when you feel the need.

High speed wobble? How is your tires? Could just need to be balanced. Or... since your new, are you holding tight on the bars as the speed goes higher? Be loose and relaxed, hands and shoulders and see if it stops. But visually check your tires first.

I am not saying this is your problem but the ninjas are known for having a gas tank venting issue. More so on the new gens but the old gens do it too. So your cruising along and blah..... dies. Come to a stop and a minute or so later, all is well again. If it happens again, open and close the gas cap, start it up and ride on. Let's hope it's as simple as that.

It's also common to feel a tiny bit of push from the rear wheel when starting in first gear, that isn't much to worry with. Normally adjusting the clutch cable to within spec takes care of it. If you reach the end of adjustment and it still pulls too hard, it's time for a new cable. And remember the cable can be adjusted at both ends.

Your bike should also run perfectly fine without seafoam or any other additives.

Happy riding!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Xaero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Gratz on taking the safety course and getting your endorsement. Stay committed to safety and continue training every couple of years or when you feel the need.

High speed wobble? How is your tires? Could just need to be balanced. Or... since your new, are you holding tight on the bars as the speed goes higher? Be loose and relaxed, hands and shoulders and see if it stops. But visually check your tires first.

I am not saying this is your problem but the ninjas are known for having a gas tank venting issue. More so on the new gens but the old gens do it too. So your cruising along and blah..... dies. Come to a stop and a minute or so later, all is well again. If it happens again, open and close the gas cap, start it up and ride on. Let's hope it's as simple as that.

It's also common to feel a tiny bit of push from the rear wheel when starting in first gear, that isn't much to worry with. Normally adjusting the clutch cable to within spec takes care of it. If you reach the end of adjustment and it still pulls too hard, it's time for a new cable. And remember the cable can be adjusted at both ends.

Your bike should also run perfectly fine without seafoam or any other additives.

Happy riding!
A friend of mine thought that maybe it got caught between gears or I shifted the wrong way and killed it. I killed it again on my way home after work but that was because my hand was cramping and when I re-adjusted my grip I accidentally hit the kill switch. It's quite possible that I did that the first time lol...

The wobble may just be wind sheer. Being an inexperienced rider it may be just in my head. Back tire is new and front tire may have one season left in it. The Ninja has not been ridden for a long time before I got it. That same friend rode my Ninja to check it out and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary.

Old November 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Xaero
ninjette.org member

BTW as an update (4000 miles later lol) the mechanic I took it to did not find the oil leak and since I have been riding it has not leaked again. I think it was from the bike sitting for who-knows-how long. They also said the carbs were clean and that the idle issues were just the carbs out of sync. The Ninja still runs like a top 4000 miles later!

The high speed wobble was from the front tire. It was replaced with a new tire.

I am now selling the Ninja and upgrading to something more upright. If anyone interested send me a PM. I can't post on the marketplace for some reason yet.