ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 17th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Weekend Awesome Kid Rides a Pocket Bike to Kindergarten

Here on MO, we’re all for getting kids on bikes and learning to ride at an early age but this is not what we had in mind. According to the video description, this kindergarten student had been riding his minibike to school for a couple of weeks before someone finally put a stop to it.

Admittedly, if I was this kid’s age, I’d probably think it was pretty cool. As a grown up, however, I get a sharp pang of horror seeing him cross the intersection in front of traffic with drivers who, thankfully, were alert and likely just as much in shock at the sight.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Remember folks, if you want to teach your kids to ride, make sure they wear proper equipment and keep them off the street until they’re old enough!

Weekend Awesome – Kid Rides a Pocket Bike to Kindergarten appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...

Old January 18th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #2
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Link to original page on YouTube.
I don't know how to feel about this one. The honest love of having a bike and the lack of safety. But still I enjoyed this video.

If you watch on Youtube you can read some of the description. Guy at the end on dirt bike is his dad/brother/etc. and locks up the pocket bike to the bike rack for him. I hope he is looking for the cars and yelling to the kid. Even though that is still not very safe, he could not hear or obey, etc.

c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Remember folks, if you want to teach your kids to ride, make sure they wear proper equipment and keep them off the street until they’re old enough!
I agree with the closing statement of the article.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ seconded, also dirt bikes are perfect for kids for the very reason of keeping them away from the streets

Old January 18th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #5
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
I agree with the closing statement of the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
^ seconded, also dirt bikes are perfect for kids for the very reason of keeping them away from the streets
It was cool to see him enjoying himself. But at the same time I should have focused on how dangerous it was. I apologize for thinking this was somewhat "cool".

Please don't think I am against safety. I thought it was a cute video, but underneath it is not very cute. I hope he switches to a dirt bike too.

Sorry everyone.

Old January 19th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
O it was very cool to see, that kid was the coolest in his school. Back in the day I had a mini bike, I rode to school when I was about 10, I was the Fonz LOL. Was it safe? Hell NO!!! But it was cool.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I didn't mean to come off as a safety nazi, it was cool but he just didn't show the awareness needed to safely cross roads on it yet which was my concern

Old January 19th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #8
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

I don't see how the traffic aspect is any more dangerous than riding a bicycle. 50 years ago nobody would have cared, people just react to the perceived safety aspect instead of any actual danger.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #9
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off as a safety nazi, it was cool but he just didn't show the awareness needed to safely cross roads on it yet which was my concern
No problem at all. I didn't feel like people were attacking me at all. I was more disappointed in myself for not really thinking about what was going on in the video. I would hate to see someone get hurt copying this because people said it was cool.

Old January 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So..... lemme get this straight.
Kid gets electric pocket bike. Most likely rides it on the sidewalk at home, meh... aside of parents, 0 fuks given when he crosses a crosswalk. But ride it to school and then there is a problem? So... lemme ask, what if he got an electric bicycle instead of the pocket bike?

So now this kids actions will cause a whole new section in the student handbook that will most likely state something like this. "Here at Xyz Elementary, a student is not permitted to ride a motorized 2 wheeled vehicle on school property until the age of 16 and have a valid state issue license."

Sound dumb for an elementary school? You sure? Are they gunna allow those electric razor scooters or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
No problem at all. I didn't feel like people were attacking me at all. I was more disappointed in myself for not really thinking about what was going on in the video. I would hate to see someone get hurt copying this because people said it was cool.
Don't be disappointed. If this kid was on a bicycle, it would have never been on the webz in the first place. Why? Common sense... It's really just not that big of deal. The real problem is with the maturity of the kid, not his age and not the pocket bike either. My gut tells me that he got away with it for a few weeks until someone checked the insurance policy and was told he would not be covered in the event of injury.

He just better be glad he didn't get a quadcopter toy drone (let's use the scary word) for xmas. Then all the goofballs would be coming out to bash him.

Blah... I should have just said this; The kid needs some gear, trained up, then just left alone. If it's not a problem, don't make it one.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #11
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

a helmet, for one. that's the sketchy part.

i think people in america just hate anything motorized and two wheeled. look at the squid videos that come up on youtube after this... cant say it is totally unjustified.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Since when have dirt bikes kept anyone off a street?

Quote:
Yes yes your so safety... I shall appoint you Zaar of safety; when you don ride 1 million miles an hour in a 15 mph Zone on public roads.

Old January 20th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjunk View Post
a helmet, for one. that's the sketchy part.

i think people in america just hate anything motorized and two wheeled. look at the squid videos that come up on youtube after this... cant say it is totally unjustified.
They ticket kids and parents in most places if they don't wear helmets riding bicycles... Wonder when we will have to wear full gear and helmets to walk