ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Not Cool

I'm sure many of you have seen this clip already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDRGFm2FqKU

From different posts (other sites) the analysis seems to be that the person filming is the one who called the cops.(why film then and there) Obviously they saw this guy doing this line all day and got jealous that their volvo is not this much fun. The guy is familiar with the turn so it's safe to say he was probably doing this loop for a while. Speeding and endangering others is not right, if he breaks the law he should get a ticket. It was an ambush, the cop knew he was coming because when the car moves forward, you don't see the break lights flash as he shifts into drive.

Here is where I have a major issue. Either the cop is ignorant about the concentration necessary to turn a bike on a curve or he willingly positioned himself as to surprise a rider at speed already committed to a turn. You can tell the second the guy sees the cop his head moves and down she goes.

Now if the cop knew what he was doing that makes him double dumb because he placed his car where it could be a hazard to a sliding(downed) rider. He didn't know if the guy was even wearing a helmet (he was ATGATT, lucky for him). He could hear the guy coming but he didn't know how fast he was coming around the curve. If the guy stayed his line for a second more the bike would have slid into the squad car.

The cop should know better, he could have stopped the guy in the downhill straight after exciting the first turn.

Play nice piggy, play nice!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I think you're more of a conspiracy theorist than I am. First of all, I think the person grabbed the front brake mid turn when he saw the cop and that's why he went down.

There are plenty of youtube videos of curvy roads. Why do people shoot them? Who knows, maybe they're trying out their new camera, maybe they're bored. Most likely, because interesting things tend to happen in some corners.

Finally, I'm sure the cop was at that spot because it is a blind spot. I doubt the cop was a psychic and expecting that particular guy on that bike at that moment, but I'm sure he heard the bike coming for a while. Bottom line, the guy on the bike should not have freaked out and the worst that would have happened to him is maybe a speeding ticket.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
From different posts (other sites) the analysis seems to be that the person filming is the one who called the cops.(why film then and there)
That's a HUGE jump to a conclusion. That user has tons of videos of people riding The Snake, and not all of them crash so I seriously doubt that he was doing anything malicious. Also, if you look, there are multiple photographers present in a few of his other videos; they're usually the first people to run out and help someone who's gone down. Going up to Mulholland and car/bike-watching would be a great hobby, and I can almost guarantee you that's exactly why they're there, not because they wanted to rat out some rider.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think the cop put oil in the turn, sits there waiting, then laughs his arse off as every bike goes down.

Old April 1st, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Wow, I didn't know it was a crime to fall off a bike.... that is all he saw.

Did he REALLY need to drive that extra 15 feet? He didn't even get out of the car....
Yeah, WE know what the rider was doing, and the cop did too, BUT you have to prove it in the USA, and all he did was see him fall (yes, a lawyer would probably try to blame him for causing the accident, and I would definitely tell the insurance company that too).

Wait a minute... sorry, I got idealistic and stupid for a minute.... silly me, I forgot that there is what the constitution and other laws say, and then there is what actually happens in traffic court!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Here is where I have a major issue. Either the cop is ignorant about the concentration necessary to turn a bike on a curve or he willingly positioned himself as to surprise a rider at speed already committed to a turn. You can tell the second the guy sees the cop his head moves and down she goes.
The cop should know better, he could have stopped the guy in the downhill straight after exciting the first turn.

Play nice piggy, play nice!
I'm not the biggest fan of cops (particularly the ones who give me tickets :-) ) but this is not the cop's fault. If something with absolutely zero safety consequences, like a cop sitting there, can cause you to choke up the front brake, STFD!

What happens when that's a pile of gravel (Pinehurst Rd anyone)? A child? A minivan that stalled?

If you're speeding past a cop on a turn, finish the turn, then take your licks, if you have to. Prioritize - Always fly the airplane first.

</soapbox>
Sorry, just don't want to read any more crash threads, and more importantly, don't want somebody with that little control over their bike taking me out, when I'm coming the other way.

Keep the rubber side down,

-Kyle

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

I bet that cop got out of his car and tazed the motorcyclist too after the video cut off, for disturbing his doughnut break.
Damn cops always trying to keep the man down!

.........Seriously though, the cop was likely stopped there to finish off some paper work from someone he previously pulled over.

Fault here lies squarely with the rider for grabbing the brakes in the middle of a corner and for speeding in the first place (if you can't understand and accept the risks that come along with going for a spirited ride.... stick to the speed limit).
Even if your little "conspiracy theory" was true, which its not, fault is still 100% the riders.

There are constantly people taking photos and video on Mulholland highway. The guy who recorded it is just one of many who like to go out there to record people taking spirited rides/drives on the road.
Not some "Volvo driving bike hater", more likely than anything the guy who recorded it is probably a fellow enthusiast.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
headshrink

Bottom line is, none of us REALLY know the FULL story.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM   #9
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

My Wife knows everything, I'll ask her.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM   #10
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

rnickeymouse has plenty of videos from Mullholland highway. He's filmed crashes, exotic cars, police chases, etc. He's found a great way to get video views. The cops sit there often. He's said so in the video description of a video that was taken down less than a week after it was posted. It showed a small sportscar drifting the same corner, cop in the same spot. I find it really odd that this video spread like wildfire while all of his others don't . I mean, the link you posted is a repost of a repost. I've seen it on Break, Liveleak, Collegehumor, Youtube, everywhere and the comments on them are almost always ridiculously misinformed.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
rnickeymouse has plenty of videos from Mullholland highway. He's filmed crashes, exotic cars, police chases, etc. He's found a great way to get video views. The cops sit there often. He's said so in the video description of a video that was taken down less than a week after it was posted. It showed a small sportscar drifting the same corner, cop in the same spot. I find it really odd that this video spread like wildfire while all of his others don't . I mean, the link you posted is a repost of a repost. I've seen it on Break, Liveleak, Collegehumor, Youtube, everywhere and the comments on them are almost always ridiculously misinformed.
Inform us. Is it a speed trap or a dangerous curve that needs an officer there to help all the misguided?

Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Mista Bob
Über n00b

I fail to see how any back story makes a difference at all.

He went down 100% by his own hand only person at fault here is himself, makes no difference why the cop was there.
If the cop tried to pull out in front of him while he was still cornering.... then it would be a different story.
But that obviously didn't happen.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Lol, I guess I did over react with the paranoia.
Its a good thing i dint mention the big foot in the trees with the radar gun.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM   #14
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Inform us. Is it a speed trap or a dangerous curve that needs an officer there to help all the misguided?
Where did I say there needed to be a cop there? I think it's very wrong and dangerous for the cop to hide behind a blind corner like that. By misinformed I'm referring to things such as OP said "the analysis seems to be that the person filming is the one who called the cops." as well as people commenting on the motorcyclist's skill who are obviously not motorcyclists themselves. (keep in mind this is usually on reposts of the video, not on the original link from rnickeymouse)

My original comment is not a comment on the video content whatsoever. More of a comment on comments and the nature of viral video.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Quote:
Lol, I guess I did over react with the paranoia.
Its a good thing i dint mention the big foot in the trees with the radar gun.
I wasn't going to say anything so no one would think I'm crazy but, whew. Glad I wasn't the only one who saw him.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #16
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Did he REALLY need to drive that extra 15 feet?
In the original video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTGgT_V5F8), the cop does get out at the end. As has already been said, the guy who made the video has loads of motorcycle videos of that area on Youtube. He probably hangs around there with his camera a lot.

I also don't think the cop is really at fault. Even though the road is twisty, I don't think he's parked dangerously. He's off the road, yet in the open and clearly visible.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM   #17
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

You do realize this is the third thread on this video?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40891

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40444

As has been said, no one actually called the cops. The cop happened to be there, the guy panicked and grabbed the brakes when he saw him. The cop moved the car forward to help block any traffic that could possibly run him or his bike over.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #18
headshrink

Ahhh, so he is a good guy then

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Fair enough, I can live with that.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

What's with all the pointless unsubstantiated back-story? The cop was in no way "at fault." Your concentration is always yours to maintain. It's called "driving appropriately for conditions." If the turn is dangerous enough for a realistic distraction to cause an accident at a certain speed, it's your responsibility to slow down. If that takes all the fun out of it, then take a risk, but don't blame someone else because a risk was taken and the rider came up short.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #21
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

In my initial post that we've established was way paranoid and over the top by yours truly. I said it was the cycles fault from the point he started speeding, and should get a ticket.

I just questioned the judgement of the cops placement. Again adding my own script of events. I assumed it was an intentional trap, and made and "ass out of pretty much just me" Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, It was not my intention to come off anti-cop at all, sorry if I offended anyone.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #22
headshrink

Quote:
In my initial post that we've established was way paranoid and over the top by yours truly. I said it was the cycles fault from the point he started speeding, and should get a ticket.

I just questioned the judgment of the cops placement. Again adding my own script of events. I assumed it was an intentional trap, and made and "ass out of pretty much just me" Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, It was not my intention to come off anti-cop at all, sorry if I offended anyone.
Hey, you are entitled to your opinon.... don't sweat it. We really don't know what transpired between cop and rider. Cop could have beat & tazed him, or politely asked if he was OK and admired his bike....