ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Name: Carine

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki marauder 250 2001 & Ninja 250R 2010

Bike stalls when touch throttle

hello everyone,

last sunday it was sunny so i washed my bike and then my bf made some change just like what we saw on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkIP1tb317s

right after, when i start my bike rpm was low, so i tried to put the choke on to max. its better but still not enough. we tried to put back the screw on the choke cable in the original position, but the problem persist. As soon as we give a little gaz the bike stalls, and that even when the rpm to rev at 5000.
also, when i sit on my bike and lift it off the stand, the bike would stall too.

after 30min of warming, the bike slowly starts to respond but not really good either.

before all this, i dont even have to warm it up and on choke i can just take off.(not saying that im doing this all the time but when im in a rush i just take off on the choke) what is the problem? please help me

thanks

My bike infos:
ninja 250 2010
synthetic oil change every 5000 km
my bike drinks 91 octane gaz sometimes 94.
sleeps in garage
has 24 000 km from 2011 untill now.
spark plugs havent been changed yet.

Last futzed with by Cycy; April 30th, 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Cycy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
So you had no problems before your BF started messing around with your choke cable correct? (i can't watch video right now so i have no idea what the guy did)

My question is why mess with it then? But that is beyond the point.

Ok, So if you had no issues before then clearly the choke cable is the issue as nothing else has changed right?

After the bike is warmed up can you take the choke off with out bike stalling? If so what rpm does the bike idle at?
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Hi Carine.

Adjust your idle mixture screw. It could be that it's set too low. You'll want to have the bike warmed up and set the idle to roughly 1500 rpms. The Manuals states 1350 rpms, but I find it runs better at 1500. The bike will benefit from new spark plugs as well. I tend to replace mine ever valve adjustment although they could be ran longer. Our bike runs fine off 87 octane. Putting anything more is just wasting money.

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycy View Post
hello everyone,

last sunday it was sunny so i washed my bike and then my bf
Sounds water logged

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1) go undo what you did and make sure that the choke still works as it's supposed to.

2) Higher octane is not better. Higher octane is harder to burn, the only reason you would need it is if you advanced the ignition, or if the engine is ancient and knocks a lot.

3) did you do ANYTHING else to the bike? Has it sat for any period of time longer than about 2 weeks? was it 100% perfect before you adjusted the choke cable?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

clogged needle, to much fuel, choke not working correctly, a bf that dose not have a idea what the hell he is doing. This may be some of your issues.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
So you had no problems before your BF started messing around with your choke cable correct? (i can't watch video right now so i have no idea what the guy did)

My question is why mess with it then? But that is beyond the point.

Ok, So if you had no issues before then clearly the choke cable is the issue as nothing else has changed right?

After the bike is warmed up can you take the choke off with out bike stalling? If so what rpm does the bike idle at?

Yes before that my bike was ok. the thing is that the choke ''button'' only react when we get to the half point. What the video was showing, is to get that choke button to be fully usefull from start to end.

when i take off in the morning its cold (0degree Celsius) so when i put to first gear the sound of it is horrible. makes me feel bad for the transmission. anyway, with the choke on the bike could rev at 5000 but as soon as i touch the throttle here comes the problem again.

after waiting for MORE than half hour which is not normal, the bike would react normal again and rev between 1500-2000

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Hi Carine.

Adjust your idle mixture screw. It could be that it's set too low. You'll want to have the bike warmed up and set the idle to roughly 1500 rpms. The Manuals states 1350 rpms, but I find it runs better at 1500. The bike will benefit from new spark plugs as well. I tend to replace mine ever valve adjustment although they could be ran longer. Our bike runs fine off 87 octane. Putting anything more is just wasting money.
i did tried to ajust the idle screw too, nothing .. =(

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sounds water logged
yea next thing i thought about was the sparks. but how come the bike would work just fine after 30mins of warming? the sparks would dry while i ride right for more than 50min?

or am i wrong... =S

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
1) go undo what you did and make sure that the choke still works as it's supposed to.

2) Higher octane is not better. Higher octane is harder to burn, the only reason you would need it is if you advanced the ignition, or if the engine is ancient and knocks a lot.

3) did you do ANYTHING else to the bike? Has it sat for any period of time longer than about 2 weeks? was it 100% perfect before you adjusted the choke cable?
yes we did put the screw on the choke cable under the tank gaz back to its original position. but the problem wasnt fixed.

the bike was doing fine, i was riding just ok everyday to work since a month. THAT day when he messed with my bike that SAME day right after trying to start it the problem showed up

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
clogged needle, to much fuel, choke not working correctly, a bf that dose not have a idea what the hell he is doing. This may be some of your issues.
yea im mad at him but it wasnt on a bad intention. he thought that it was easy from watching the video.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #12
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

When ever I have a issue like this I pull the carbs of rebuild them reset all the stuff back to start and then slap it all back together.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
.....when i take off in the morning its cold (0degree Celsius) so when i put to first gear the sound of it is horrible. makes me feel bad for the transmission. anyway, with the choke on the bike could rev at 5000 but as soon as i touch the throttle here comes the problem again.

after waiting for MORE than half hour which is not normal, the bike would react normal again and rev between 1500-2000
Were you giving throttle to the bike with the choke (really rich) on idling at 5k while it was cold? (It should be idling at around 3k with the choke on) No bike should take 30 minutes to warm up at the idle speed.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
i did tried to ajust the idle screw too, nothing .. =(
Was this after the bike was warm? So the idle speed neither went up or down at all?

Old April 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Was this after the bike was warm? So the idle speed neither went up or down at all?
after messing with the choke cable, the idle screw does nothing when trying to turn it in both ways. (thats when the bike is cold)

after 30min of playing with the choke and idle (the bike is now warm because the engine is still running) the idle seems to have no problem. i can manage to make the bike run at 1500rpm with the choke completely off.

otherwise, when i just start the bike even at 15 degrees Celsius, the choke open in max position, the bike seems to want to stall, when i turn the idle screw, its not working at all

Old April 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Drain the bowls of the carbs; you may have introduced some water while washing the bike.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...he_float_bowls

You only need a 3 mm long Allen wrench and a piece of hose and a glass recipient.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
after messing with the choke cable, the idle screw does nothing when trying to turn it in both ways. (thats when the bike is cold)

after 30min of playing with the choke and idle (the bike is now warm because the engine is still running) the idle seems to have no problem. i can manage to make the bike run at 1500rpm with the choke completely off.

otherwise, when i just start the bike even at 15 degrees Celsius, the choke open in max position, the bike seems to want to stall, when i turn the idle screw, its not working at all

If you have set the idle adjustment knob, so that the bike idles at 1500 when it is warm, it works. When the choke is on and the idle speed is high, the throttle link lever does not sit on the idle adjustment screw, that's why your able able to get any adjustment out it, with the choke on.

If the bike is stalling when you give it gas with the choke on, the engine is cold and the fuel mixture is rich. Opening the throttle can make it more rich and bog. Decrease the choke in very tiny increments as the engine speed goes up during warm up, then give it small throttle input.

Also, as others have indicated, run 87 octane gas. It performs better in the Ninja 250.

Old April 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #18
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

My vote goes to water in the fuel....
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #19
Cycy
ninjette.org member

heres some update: i didnt have time to do everything but at least i changed the spraks plug and i bought a spray can for carburetor cleaner and i spray some of it in the air filter. Before(before all this happens), my idle used to hang a little and comes back down slowly after giving some gaz. but now after spraying the carb cleaner theidle seems to respond a little faster. i dont know if theres anything related to my problem but we will see tomorrow when its more cold:-)

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:35 AM   #20
Cycy
ninjette.org member

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

this morning i tried to start my bike and everything was normal again! i think the carb cleaner spray helped a lot!

i dont know how it could be related to the choke cable but im just glad that my bike works again!! =D

thanks for your help and enjoy ur rides!!!

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:05 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Normal again aye... hmmm That can happen when light reflects off Venus through swap gas at the very same time you go to start your bike.

All is well again!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #22
Cycy
ninjette.org member

hi everyone its me again! (and im sorry lol)

I thought the problem was fixed but again this morning it came back!
always monday huh? (maybe my bike is garfield)

i found a video which is close to my problem.

Link to original page on YouTube.

do you guys know where else to check please?

thank you so much T_T

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^
Completely unrelated but could not help but notice
The i'm assuming guy in that vid you posted has the softest pansy a$$ arms and hands i have ever seen, like baby smooth soft.

Now that i am done sounding creepy on topic, I think that guy in the vid is flooding the bike causing it to stall as it is not at optimal working temp yet. Needs to either let it warm up more or just ride with the choke on for a little bit. I could be wrong.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #24
Cycy
ninjette.org member

But even if i leave the choke on as soon as i touch the throttle the bike stalls =(

what i did this morning:
i opened the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner while the bike was running, the bike seems to want to stall after each spray. anyway, and then when i turn the throtle it sounded weird but started to be okay again.. i really wonder if i need to go to the garage. (its so stupid that everything started to break down just by touching the choke cable)

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #25
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
But even if i leave the choke on as soon as i touch the throttle the bike stalls =(

what i did this morning:
i opened the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner while the bike was running, the bike seems to want to stall after each spray. anyway, and then when i turn the throtle it sounded weird but started to be okay again.. i really wonder if i need to go to the garage. (its so stupid that everything started to break down just by touching the choke cable)
Spraying carb cleaner into the air filter with the airbox side cover off, that's your first problem. Carb cleaner is not a starting fluid. Trying to run the bike cold with the airbox side cover off lets in too much air. Put the side cover back on.

Not letting it warm up enough will do the same thing. Apply the choke first before starting the bike, don't blip the throttle while the engine is cold, a slow gradual decrease as the rpms rise is OK, but if the engine does not take small throttle inputs, leave the choke on a little longer.

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
...........(its so stupid that everything started to break down just by touching the choke cable)
Read post #16 above.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #27
Cycy
ninjette.org member

someone told me about the seafoam. have anyone of you tried it before?

Old May 6th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #28
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
someone told me about the seafoam. have anyone of you tried it before?
I have. Right now I'm not a really big fan of Seafoam, however many swear by it, some not so much.

I prefer Star Tron Fuel Treatment. Star Tron also makes a marine formula, however you don't have to worry about over dosing or getting the mix ratio wrong. A little Star Tron goes a long way.

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Cycy
ninjette.org member

OMG its horrible! it really scares me by looking at the pictures of what the seafoam did to mkulchar!

now im really confuse! I dont know anymore! why so many people like seafoam???
and where can i get that star tron? i live in damn Quebec city where some of the products are unavailable >=(

ok nevermind i called a store and they have it.
Do i directly put this product in the gas tank?

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #30
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Do i directly put this product in the gas tank?
Yep. It only takes 1 ounce per tank, but 2 won't kill it. The bottle has an amount indicator on the side.

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #31
Cycy
ninjette.org member

LAST UPDATE: it was SO SO SOOOOOO stupid! everyone kept telling me to check the air hose and i did! but looks like i did it with both eyes closed. i checked my air hose and everything looks ok, but at the last moment just before i put down the gaz tank the air hose bends. so yeah, what i did: i cut the hose just 2inches because its too long and now no more problem. FOR REAL lol =p

thanks for your help!!!

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great to hear!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote