ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Forgot to put in my earplugs today...

and holy hell, how do people ride without them?! I forgot to put them in before leaving work, and wasn't about to pull over and take off my gloves, helmet and balaclava just to dig around and get them, so I just dealt with it. Jesus! So much distraction and exhaustion! For anyone who has never tried earplugs, this was just a reminder for how much they do for my concentration and focus (not to mention my hearing). An important piece of gear!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Yeah I feel the same way. I will dig for those earplugs every time when I realize I forgot to put them in. It's also why I keep a few extra pairs of earplugs in my riding bag just in case.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Your helmet can have a lot to do with it too. My C3 is pretty quiet without plugs, but I once tried a friend's lid for comparison and it was unbearable.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I agree. It is amazing how fatiguing noise is. Ear plugs ftw!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I'm gonna order those SureFire earplugs but I've been riding without them for so long I've gotten used to it. Then again my ride to work and back is 20 minutes round trip

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

what helmet do you have? i have a shoei qwest/rf1100 and an 2icon airmadas and the only time its ever unbearable is when im at a certain rpm on the road when the exhaust is screaming. a simple increase in teh throttle or just downshifting solves it pretty quick.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Shoei RF1100 here...the wind noise is pretty loud though, I'd wonder what others sound like

#KCCO

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #8
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Between my three helmets from most wind noise to less.
707vendetta
Shoei rf1000
Scorpion exo750

The scorpion has a slight edge due the chin piece and tight fit around my neck.

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Isn't it also the 'non-audible' frequencies that hurt your hearing? I wear earplugs regardless. Generally, even for short rides, I'll put my earplugs in while I'm walking towards my bike.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
ah the wonderful convenience of hearing loss, I have no need for ear plugs especially once I start concentrating enough I can barely even hear my exhaust at all lol
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
ah the wonderful convenience of hearing loss, I have no need for ear plugs especially once I start concentrating enough I can barely even hear my exhaust at all lol
You still should be wearing ear plugs. Hearing loss is from length of exposure to loud noises. The more you ride without ear plugs, the worse your hearing will get.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You still should be wearing ear plugs. Hearing loss is from length of exposure to loud noises. The more you ride without ear plugs, the worse your hearing will get.
while you are probably right that I should be wearing ear plugs, hearing loss comes from a large variety of sources, exposure to loud noise is only one of them although the most common in today's world. Mine is from birth and loud noise doesn't seem to affect it much (I go to my ear doctor each year and ironically it leveled off around the same time that I started going to live concerts and clubs, both of which are louder than my bike)

so while earplugs are something that I probably should get, they aren't necessarily a necessity.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #13
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
what helmet do you have? i have a shoei qwest/rf1100 and an 2icon airmadas and the only time its ever unbearable is when im at a certain rpm on the road when the exhaust is screaming. a simple increase in teh throttle or just downshifting solves it pretty quick.
I have an RF1100 and a Scorpion EXO1000. This was in the EXO, although I tried the Shoei afterwards just to compare, and it was at least as bad. And it has nothing to do with the exhaust: the most fatiguing is at interstate speeds, and I can barely hear the bike over the wind at those speeds. It is definitely the wind that I find unbearable.

I actually have different earplugs for different situations. Since I commute on the interstate, I use super-duty 33-rated earplugs for that, which really calms down the input. But for in town riding, I have more moderately rated, selective frequency riding earplugs, that let a lot of the bike and surrounding sounds in, but just filters out the wind. I also have one other kind, in between the two, that I use usually for spirited runs in the mountains and whatnot.

LOVE. EARPLUGS.

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #14
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

SO if you has earplugs how does you listen to music??
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj2093 View Post
The revs of then engine is music enough right?

And for you track riders, earplugs might just gain you a second on your lap time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #16
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I doesn't! No need for music on the bike.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

@tnr4 Do you wear a balaclava?

i bought http://www.revzilla.com/product/scha...skin-balaclava (winter version)
and its helped loads with reducing noise. with it heatin up in CA again i just took out the inner liner of my jacket and plan on getting
http://www.revzilla.com/product/scha...skin-balaclava (summer version)

Should check em out..may help tremendously if your wearing ear plugs aswell O.O

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:

and its helped loads with reducing noise. with it heatin up in CA again i just took out the inner liner of my jacket and plan on getting

Science Nerd Mode Engage!:
That's the reason the helmet can have so much impact -- most wind noise comes from the neck region, so the "seal" the helmet can get impacts the wind tremendously. A Balaclava is probably a great 'poor mans solution' to tightening that up.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #19
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

well tbh the sound of the wind doesnt bother me, has not ruined my hearing yet . I just wear a balaclava to keep my helmet as clean as possible from teh inside.

ooh and i absolutely hate the feeling of the helmet liner squeezing my cheeks/face when i put it on..so that might be another reason!

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #20
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Also a Shoei RF1100 and I have never used ear plugs. This helmet can produce a good bit of air flow so it does get loud but I always just put up with it.

Funny enough today was the first day I used earplugs, on the way to work, and man... they are awesome. You guys are absolutely spot on when you say it doesn't "fatigue" you nearly as much. You really don't realize how much of a benefit it is until you try 'em on.

I got a pair of "range" earplugs from the hunting section of Walmart and they work great. You can still hear enough to be aware of your surroundings but feels a lot less nerve racking.

I must admit before wearing them I was concerned they would block out too much noise but turns out that is not the case.

Definitely a big thumbs up to earplugs.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #21
YORCHI
n00b

I ordered the SureFire EP3 earplugs last night but decided to try using a pair of cheap foam earplugs this morning to see the difference and yea it's incredibly quiet, much more relaxing.

I have helmet speakers in my Shoei and I could hear the music enough to enjoy it but I still felt like I could hear the engine and the cars around me. I would hear a car horn if it was close to me and I'd hear a siren as well. I think it'll be better with the EP3's as these foam ones just block out everything

#KCCO

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
What? Eh?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #23
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
There's a twin-cylinder symphony between your legs yo!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #24
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

When I put my helmet on it yanks out any earplugs I have in. The helmet fits fine its just really tight when it goes on
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #25
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Only use earplugs for extended speeds above 50-60mph. Typically only for highway runs. Definitely makes a world of difference! First time I went on the highway, I didn't have ear plugs..man were my ears ringing! After getting off the highway I couldn't hear anything, my bike was more or less silent. Ouch.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #26
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Yup, at least in the winter. So I was wearing one at the time. I'm sure it does, in fact help. AND, my EXO1000 has inflatable cheek pads which helps seal up some of the air cavities (surprisingly cool feature!). I'm just so spoiled by good ear plugs that it felt terrible regardless. I'm sure I won't forget my earplugs again anytime soon!

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #27
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

My Caberg Duke is designed to be quiet, I have a chin guard and that cuts down a lot of noise, and since the limit is 35mph here wind noise isn't too much of a problem for me, I have a Buff which is a brand of microfibre fabric tube simmilar to a silk in texture but stretchy, it keeps the wind off your neck entirely and cuts down on wind noise also, it's surprisingly warm in the winter and cool in the summer!

I listen to music occasionally via a built in wired headset, my opinion is it's no more dangerious than music in the car, but still i'm probably safer to not listen to music, although i'm probably safer in the car listening to music than on my bike not listening to music!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #28
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

earplugs always!

i can definitely hear surrounding traffic much more clearly with them in, as it gets rid of lots of the little noises that the bike makes, and drowns out my loud yoshi.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #29
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

Does anyone recommend specific earplugs?
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #30
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Does anyone recommend specific earplugs?
Totally decent, in-town plugs:
http://www.earplugstore.com/qureearpln26.html

Slightly better, more comfortable, for high-revving fun: http://www.earplugstore.com/howard-leight-pilot.html

My go-to plugs for interstate commuting, most quiet: http://www.earplugstore.com/moldex-softies.html

Hope that helps!

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Depends on your ears and what you find comfortable. Foam ones certainly work but I don't find them all that comfortable personally.

I've had good success with the silicone rubber ones that look like little Christmas trees. Big advantage is that they can be cleaned and last forever. I have a pair that I got at Home Depot on a plastic cord that I've had for at least two years.

I've also had very good luck with the blobs of silicone wax that you roll up in a ball and push into your ear. Total custom fit, very comfy, very quiet. The downside is that they get grungy fast so you can only use them a few times.That's why they come in boxes of a dozen.

If you want to listen to music or the radio, I have a product that I LOVE... the S-Plug earbuds. They're of the Christmas-tree style and fit deep into your ear canal. What makes them special and awesome is that they don't protrude at all... so they stay put when you pull your helmet on, and don't press in at all.

The downside is that the basic ones cost $135. However, having tried a variety of earbud solutions that didn't work well, I can say they're worth it for me. The solution works.

So what I do when I'm commuting and want to listen to the radio is wear the S-plugs.

When I'm just out for a ride and don't want any distractions I use the silicone blobs. The Christmas tree plugs are kept in a pocket as a spare if I space and run out of blobs.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #32
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I usually go with a generic plug in one ear and my Klipsch S10i in the other with a double flange head which does a pretty good job of being an ear plug and lets me listen to my GPS/music/phone-calls (as in hear it ring and who is calling so I can pull over if I need to)/etc.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #33
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Honestly I have had good results with the Winchester reusable "range" ear-plugs you can get from Walmart for less than $3. They have a double flange.

There are fancier plugs with filters and such that block specific frequencies, but these do what they need to do well enough imho.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Some great info in this thread:

Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride?

These guys offer a few different collections of many different types of earplugs, so you can figure out which ones you like at low cost, before ordering a mongo box of your favorite.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 01:13 PM   #35
YORCHI
n00b

I received the Sure Fire EP3's a few days ago and finally got to try them on today. I was able to hear my bike and traffic but did not hear any high pitched wind noise at all which was awesome. You can still hear a bit of the wind with the filters out and they fit pretty well although it took a few tries to get them in right so they wouldn't hurt.

Great purchase! Now I have them in an earplug case attached to my keys so I will always have them with me to wear. Should also be very useful in June when I go to EDC

#KCCO