ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 1st, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
EF5.0
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Vulcan 500

Opinions on purchasing first bike...

Since I finished my MSF course this past weekend I've been trolling craigslist looking for a ninjette in good condition for a reasonable price. I quickly found that my options were very, very slim.

In my area there are 2 reasonably priced ninjettes, and 07 and an 08. The other 3 or 4 are asking about the same price as a new one...

Anyways, The 07 in my area is the one I'm giving the most thought to (I like the pregen look and the price fits my budget better). It's bone stock and seems to be in fairly good condition...

http://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/3720662812.html

Now I also have a friend who is selling his 07... 10k Miles, new front tire, good rear, tribal flames removed, otherwise stock.

He is asking $1750... I've seen the bike, he has let it set most of last year and this last winter. The carbs need cleaned, and most likely synched (he was having problems with it dying at idle without a small amount of choke).

Question is, unless something else hits the market, which of the two would you all suggest.

The blue one matches the jacket/gloves I already have, but I won't base my purchase off of gear color, it can be replaced if I feel like it or get the money.
EF5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If they are similarly priced, buying a bike with a known history is a better option I would think.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here's some copy/paste from an email I got on my riders' mailing list:

Quote:
(1) 2007 Ninja 250, 12k miles, red, new tires, completely stock and perfect, no scratches, cracks or scrapes. Needs carbs cleaned, will include new battery still in box.

Included with purchase, (1) 2002 Ninja, 58k miles, trashed and modified bodywork, tires hard as rocks, ran well when parked (to cannibalize clutch for rider in the IBR). Also has Throttlemeister and K&N air filter which would be easy to transfer to other bike.

Will also include lots of spares, (we'll clean out my garage when
you pick up the bikes).

$1500 takes both, pick up in Independence, MO.
PM for his contact info, though I wonder if it's the same guy. If so at least you know he could go down on price a bit. Honestly though, buying from a friend could be a good thing if they're reliable and the bike is.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM   #4
EF5.0
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If they are similarly priced, buying a bike with a known history is a better option I would think.
Now that you say that I agree... I hadn't even thought of that.

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

buy the one thats running even if its a little more.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM   #6
EF5.0
ninjette.org member

It looks like its not even going to be an issue right now. I called my family's insurance to get a quote on the ninjette and apparently it is classified as a crutch rocket, and apparently my insurance refuses to cover "crotch rockets" in any way shape or form... I canrswitch jnsurances or look for a new one because my dad said no...

So it looks like I'm now in the market for a cruiser or some type.... I'd rather be on some kind of bike then no bike

Old May 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM   #7
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Too bad so many insurance companies are so ignorant. Too bad there's so many unfortunate statistics to make them that way.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF5.0 View Post
It looks like its not even going to be an issue right now. I called my family's insurance to get a quote on the ninjette and apparently it is classified as a crutch rocket, and apparently my insurance refuses to cover "crotch rockets" in any way shape or form... I canrswitch jnsurances or look for a new one because my dad said no...

So it looks like I'm now in the market for a cruiser or some type.... I'd rather be on some kind of bike then no bike
Why don't you just get a plan with another insurance company and stay with the same car insurance? The insurance will probably be pretty low so you could probably just pay the whole year up front if you wanted to.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
EF5.0
ninjette.org member

I'm currently through my family's plan. I don't have the income to get my own insurance and get the loan for a bike. So I'll just get what I can and stick with my dad paying insurance for now. Idk, I'm taking it as a sign. I'd love a ninja, but I'm not gonna fight it to much at first, besides if I get some experience on a cruiser, by the time I'm able to get a ninja I can get a nice used 300

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM   #10
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF5.0 View Post
I'm currently through my family's plan. I don't have the income to get my own insurance and get the loan for a bike. So I'll just get what I can and stick with my dad paying insurance for now. Idk, I'm taking it as a sign. I'd love a ninja, but I'm not gonna fight it to much at first, besides if I get some experience on a cruiser, by the time I'm able to get a ninja I can get a nice used 300
You should at least check to see how much it is. I only pay $200 a year for my pregen ninja. You might be surprised.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote