ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Bike has been sitting for more than a year.

I was called out of state for work that was only supposed to be 3 months, it turned out to be an entire year.

Now my bike has been sitting, not moving, just on the kickstand, for an entire year in the garage. I did use Stabil in a full tank of gas and ran that through the carbs before I left but I don't know how long that stuff lasts.

Aside from a full oil change, and maybe new tires from possible flatspots, is there anything else I should do before riding, or at least waiting for the ice to thaw in Texas before riding?

I wait an entire year to ride, then come back home and an ice storm covers everything in 3 inches of snow & ice and drops to 13 degrees.....I HATE WINTER ! ! !
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Check the airbox for critters/infestations. Ensure the brakes are good and oil chain.

Welcome back and enjoy.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Toss a charger on the battery now, might be OK when you can get it out to ride it. The Stabil probably worked that long, though the ethanol fuel really tests its preservation abilities. Charge it, crank it and cross your fingers.

Flat spots? Really? I've bought leftover bikes that sat on showroom floors 2 years and the tires were fine. Check the pressure and go ride it.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Toss a charger on the battery now, might be OK when you can get it out to ride it. The Stabil probably worked that long, though the ethanol fuel really tests its preservation abilities. Charge it, crank it and cross your fingers.

Flat spots? Really? I've bought leftover bikes that sat on showroom floors 2 years and the tires were fine. Check the pressure and go ride it.
I can't check the tires, or anything else to do with the bike right now. I have family over for the holidays that hate bikes so it's sitting in the garage behind a wall of boxes, hidden.

If they knew about it they would bust a gasket screaming about it and spewing all kinds of doom & gloom, they're the worst kind of cagers to the bitter end. They think anybody on 2 wheels is either in a "biker gang" terrorizing small towns, or out on the freeways doing stunts and getting killed.

Once they leave I'll be able to work on it and see what happens.

Old December 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #5
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
I can't check the tires, or anything else to do with the bike right now. I have family over for the holidays that hate bikes so it's sitting in the garage behind a wall of boxes, hidden.

If they knew about it they would bust a gasket screaming about it and spewing all kinds of doom & gloom, they're the worst kind of cagers to the bitter end. They think anybody on 2 wheels is either in a "biker gang" terrorizing small towns, or out on the freeways doing stunts and getting killed.

I have a similar situation as you with family and motorcycles. One of my uncles was killed in a crash and other relatives injured badly, so I am never supposed to have one. I keep mine in the garage that no one goes into. I would like my family to accept the fact that I motorcycle, but I don't know how or when to break it to them. It's been going on for years.

Nice one on hiding it behind boxes! Very creative.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #6
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

I didn't mean to run out there right now!

Over the next whenever, sooner the better though. Trickle chargers are super cheap. I think Harbor Freight had one on sale for under $10 recently. Then, on a warmish day, start it up and ride it for 30 minutes or so. Top off the tank and add more Stabil and run it 10 minutes longer. If you can siphon out some of the fuel, all the better, then refill with fresh as I stated. Burn the old stuff in your car or lawn mower.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Aaaaaannnnnnddddd the battery is toast....totally flat, the charger that I had before and that had worked just fine before with just 24 hours plugged in won't do anything now, not even when it's been plugged in for 3 full days.

Should I just get an exact model replacement from the dealership, or is there something better out there for the 2009 Ninja 250??? And where's the best place to get it from in the DFW area in Texas???

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The 2009-2012 ninjettes use a YTX9-BS type battery from Yuasa. The OEM one is high quality and will work fine. Amazon has the official Yuasa one for between $50 and $60 with shipping, in case the dealer price is much over that. You can find cheaper batteries in that same size, but you generally get what you pay for.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:23 PM   #9
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Before cranking, disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines from the petcock, get a short length of matching hose size for each petcock fitting, then run the larger one to a spare gas can and the smaller one to your mouth. Use mouth suction to activate the petcock then crimp the hose with vicegrips to hold it shut, drain all the gas out of the tank. You can try using that for lawnmower gas, but that old it's really destined for your local hazmat disposal place over off of Bridge Street and I-30, just inside East Loop 820.

With the tank drained, drain the carbs of any fuel they may have by connecting a hose to the drain nipple on the bottom of each carb bowl and then opening the drain screws. Chances are they're dry, but if not, what comes out won't have to be displaced by fresh gas once you get ready to start it.

Since it's been inside and out of the weather, that's about all you really need to do to it once you've replaced the battery. Add fresh gas, reconnect the fuel and vacuum lines, then set the petcock to PRI to prefill the carbs. The tires ought to be fine, the bike isn't nearly heavy enough to flatspot tires after only a year. The big thing that kills bikes in storage is being outside in the weather, especially the sun. Also, storing a bike inside an enclosed area where swimming pool chemicals are stored will ruin it completely in a matter of months.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
...disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines from the petcock, get a short length of matching hose size for each petcock fitting, then run the larger one to a spare gas can and the smaller one to your mouth. Use mouth suction to activate the petcock then crimp the hose with vicegrips to hold it shut, drain all the gas out of the tank. You can try using that for lawnmower gas...
Wha-? Why not just put the petcock in Prime and drain it?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote