ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 26th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Debate on Lane-splitting: Good or Bad?

So ever since I got my motorbike I've been thinking about the idea of lane splitting, and if it's a necessary skill to learn for the future. It's kind of like speeding, most everyone does it, but it's bad only if you get caught.

Here's different arguments I've compiled:

Pro:
"It helps decrease traffic congestion"
"It's completely safe if it's done properly"
"Causes less motorcycles to get rear-ended, saves lives"
"Helps motorcycles get around faster and can avoid potential accidents on the road"
"We have 2 wheels, not 4. We can fit in between cars perfectly fine"

Con:
"They're cutting in line, wait in line like the rest of us!"
"It scares me when a motorcycle comes up out of nowhere"
"If I open my door because maybe it didn't shut properly I would end up hitting them by accident"

I just want the forums opinion on the whole thing because if it's done safely it's useful but at the same time there's people who think when we do it we look like a*holes. Do you lane-split?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

IMO, splitting is totally acceptable if done properly. It's completely legal in Cali (because Californites are awesome), but it's a privilege, not a right. If I split, I make sure my delta is no more than 10 mph. I don't like seeing people split 20-30 mph faster than traffic, I can only imagine what a non-rider thinks.

I just don't like when people that say they do it "to be safe." They're full of crap. Sure, while it prevents you from getting rear ended, it opens a whole 'nother set of dangerous scenarios. You do it to cut traffic, just admit it

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I want to do it so bad. There's this really bad spot on I-12 that is always 5 miles of dead stop or <20mph traffic because of people getting on one exit then getting of the next one in a city. One day I will save up for a wreckless driving ticket and do it, untill then I will suffocate in my helmet and pray I don't get rear ended
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Completely safe if you don't act the idiot. Traffic moving slowly go for it, be 100% alert at all times, look further ahead & read what's happening well ahead. Get off the line faster than anyone around you if you come to a traffic light.

Don't clip mirrors it pisses people off, if you can't fit the gap cleanly either wait for it or tilt & turn to get the bars clear of each mirror in turn.

It was an absolutely essential skill for commuting in a sprawling city of 5 million
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You're a brand spanking new rider. Get used to riding before you force yourself to maneuver your bike in between vehicles at all sorts of different speeds, possibly slow speeds, which is where you're going to have the most trouble.

-Remember lane splitting is explicitly NOT legal in every state except CA, where it is considered acceptable. Be aware if you get pulled over for it, that's not a small ticket. That's reckless op.

-Other drivers WILL get upset because "that was such a close pass, moron!" and "that's not fair, I can't do that why should you be able to???" *cuts you off intentionally/opens door at you*

-People don't look. They won't see you. They aren't expecting a motorcycle coming up the lanes at at them. Don't be caught off guard when they get surprised and react badly. Boston drivers are known for being jerk-offs when they drive.

My answer: no, I do not split lanes on my motorcycle but if I lived in a place where it was legal and commonly accepted I would totally do it. I do it on a bicycle but only at stop lights/signs and filter up to the front of the que. People HAVE cut me off, people HAVE driven up the curb and forced me to hop the curb to go around them, people HAVE yelled at me, people HAVE called the cops on me, all because they thought it wasn't fair that a bicyclist is faster through traffic than their car/SUV. Don't kid yourself, you'll be taking your life in your own hands unless you're somewhere where splitting is commonplace and expected. You need to get some seat time before you worry about things like this.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You're a brand spanking new rider. Get used to riding before you force yourself to maneuver your bike in between vehicles at all sorts of different speeds, possibly slow speeds, which is where you're going to have the most trouble.

-Remember lane splitting is explicitly NOT legal in every state except CA, where it is considered acceptable. Be aware if you get pulled over for it, that's not a small ticket. That's reckless op.

-Other drivers WILL get upset because "that was such a close pass, moron!" and "that's not fair, I can't do that why should you be able to???" *cuts you off intentionally/opens door at you*

-People don't look. They won't see you. They aren't expecting a motorcycle coming up the lanes at at them. Don't be caught off guard when they get surprised and react badly. Boston drivers are known for being jerk-offs when they drive.

My answer: no, I do not split lanes on my motorcycle but if I lived in a place where it was legal and commonly accepted I would totally do it. I do it on a bicycle but only at stop lights/signs and filter up to the front of the que. People HAVE cut me off, people HAVE driven up the curb and forced me to hop the curb to go around them, people HAVE yelled at me, people HAVE called the cops on me, all because they thought it wasn't fair that a bicyclist is faster through traffic than their car/SUV. Don't kid yourself, you'll be taking your life in your own hands unless you're somewhere where splitting is commonplace and expected. You need to get some seat time before you worry about things like this.
It's all part of the experience though, even if I'm a new rider the road will still be the same the first time I ride it or in a couple years after I'm experienced, it would be best to know how to handle things and get a view on it from you guys here on Ninjette.

I still couldn't see myself doing it in Boston though, but everyone who's against it has stupid arguments for it like what I posted. Why do you think it's illegal? Safety reasons or so we don't abuse it and cut in line? I think they're is more pro's than cons and that's always right.

I'm definitely going to stick to the law and be safe with it though, like you said.

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Why do you think it's illegal? Safety reasons or so we don't abuse it and cut in line?
Because America's road laws are dumb, that's why it's illegal. I think it would be safer to split. At the very least, let us filter to the front at lights so we don't take up extra space and make lines at intersections any longer than they have to be.

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Whiskey

Quote:
It's all part of the experience though, even if I'm a new rider the road will still be the same the first time I ride it or in a couple years after I'm experienced, it would be best to know how to handle things and get a view on it from you guys here on Ninjette.

I still couldn't see myself doing it in Boston though, but everyone who's against it has stupid arguments for it like what I posted. Why do you think it's illegal? Safety reasons or so we don't abuse it and cut in line? I think they're is more pro's than cons and that's always right.

I'm definitely going to stick to the law and be safe with it though, like you said.
Because whoever made the laws never took bikes into consideration, they made the one car per lane rule assuming that everything is about a lanes width.

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Ahh I see. So cars truly do own the road. We'll see about that.

Why does everything in California and Texas get legalized first? ffs.. Hippies riding motorcycles or what?...

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
It's all part of the experience though, even if I'm a new rider the road will still be the same the first time I ride it or in a couple years after I'm experienced
Wrong way to think about it.
The difference is knowing your bikes handling, tire limits (how those tires are reacting w road depending on temp/conditions)hard braking and how to deal w/ drivers and anticipating their next move.

All the above have to be solid knowledge in and 100% natural, meaning you don't have to really think about these it all is part of every min of every ride, before you start taking actions that put more risk on you and those around you.

Would you expect to play your first game of basketball and perform like Michael Jordan???
Why would you think you can jump on a bike and do what you see in vids from riders been doing riding for years before they even tried it??

As for splitting, I won't bother w/ moving traffic, that 30secs saved means diddly! Dead stopped traffic due to congestion, it's more of an option and does minimize some traffic.

Take it 1 step at a time, getting ahead of yourself on a bike is not suggested.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Wrong way to think about it.
The difference is knowing your bikes handling, tire limits (how those tires are reacting w road depending on temp/conditions)hard braking and how to deal w/ drivers and anticipating their next move.

All the above have to be solid knowledge in and 100% natural, meaning you don't have to really think about these it all is part of every min of every ride, before you start taking actions that put more risk on you and those around you.

Would you expect to play your first game of basketball and perform like Michael Jordan???
Why would you think you can jump on a bike and do what you see in vids from riders been doing riding for years before they even tried it??

As for splitting, I won't bother w/ moving traffic, that 30secs saved means diddly! Dead stopped traffic due to congestion, it's more of an option and does minimize some traffic.

Take it 1 step at a time, getting ahead of yourself on a bike is not suggested.
Yeah you're right. I guess I'll have to take it one step at a time, but with the basics like turning or shifting I'll definitely have to be experienced at it if I don't want to make a fool of myself or get seriously hurt.

There's just so much to learn and master, and it's not just a hobby I can jump into and start doing because it requires a lot of experience, and I've never ridden a dirtbike or an offroad before the Ninja, so it's kinda tough knowing the rules of the road from a motorcyclists' standpoint.

Old December 26th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #12
rasta
Your face

I agree with @EsrTek, you're not (or weren't) looking at it the right way. Best to master the necessary skills first before putting yourself into the situations where you NEED them.

Ex.) Say you were filtering to the front of a red light. Unless you're a dick, you'd be doing it at a speed no faster than ~10 mph. At those low speeds, you must have a VERY good feel for the friction zone. If not, there's a good chance something might cause you to stall. I don't think I need to say why stalling between 2 cars would be a bad thing.

Ex.2) If splitting during rush hour commutes, you need to be proficient at emergency braking. People are crazy and often jump lanes without looking, and you'd need to brake in the least amount of stopping distance possible.

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. Do you think it will eventually be eased up on? I should of made this a poll seeing how many of you regularly lane split and who's totally against it.

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #14
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Thanks for the comments and advice guys. Do you think it will eventually be eased up on? I should of made this a poll seeing how many of you regularly lane split and who's totally against it.
CHP Lane Splitting Guidelines

tl;dr

Quote:
Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster – danger increases as overall speed increases.

3) Typically, it is more desirable to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.

4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.
These are the CHP guidelines, and they seem very reasonable. I'm surprised it's not allowed in other places. How a state can let you ride without a helmet but not let you lane split is confusing

Old December 27th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

The ability to legally lane split is a tremendous benefit to CA MCists. It reduces horrendous traffic congestion to an easily manageable nuisance for the MCist if done safely ( ^^^^, thanks Wes). I agree with other posters than lane-sharing is not really safer for the rider as it exposes them to even higher risks passing through the clots of stuck and frustrated drivers.

Unfortunately some MCists abuse the privilege and I worry that we will eventually lose this privilege. It's unfortunate there is so much more energy invested in fighting mandatory helmet laws than there is in legalizing lane sharing. I am not optimistic about this changing.

Old December 27th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
How a state can let you ride without a helmet but not let you lane split is confusing
It's simple really, riding without a helmet is considered your own choice in endangering yourself unnecessarily and does not affect anyone else on the road in any way (except when you get a pesky bug up your nose in your eye or down your throat...seriously how could you ride comfortably without a full face helmet) somehow filtering/lanespliting affects those in their cages negatively, the drivers get butthurt that they are stuck in traffic and the rider isn't. they also don't see how it can be done responsibly because when it is done responsibly they think the rider is a jackass and then forget about it yet they'll never forget "that one gixxer that flew by me at mach 5 when I was about to change lanes without signaling or looking" which is a rider who obviously is not affected by the law anyway.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #17
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
The ability to legally lane split is a tremendous benefit to CA MCists. It reduces horrendous traffic congestion to an easily manageable nuisance for the MCist if done safely ( ^^^^, thanks Wes). I agree with other posters than lane-sharing is not really safer for the rider as it exposes them to even higher risks passing through the clots of stuck and frustrated drivers.

Unfortunately some MCists abuse the privilege and I worry that we will eventually lose this privilege. It's unfortunate there is so much more energy invested in fighting mandatory helmet laws than there is in legalizing lane sharing. I am not optimistic about this changing.
^^This. Almost every MC I see lane splitting here is doing so WAY too fast. Or traffic is moving, but they weave in and out very dangerously... It drives me insane.

I love to lane share! The first few times was a little nerve wracking, just cause it was new and I was learning, but now, filtering, especially during commuting hours, is the only way to ride! I might be moving to a different state next year, one that does not allow lane sharing, and that is already making me a bit sad.

Old December 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #18
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
It's simple really, riding without a helmet is considered your own choice in endangering yourself unnecessarily and does not affect anyone else on the road in any way
You don't think there's an affect on a cager that rolls up to a single motorcycle accident by someone who wasn't wearing a helmet? Sure, there might not be any physical effects, but I see your point. If being forced to wear a helmet is what I have to endure in order to lane split, I'll take that tradeoff any day .

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:

great points
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"It's completely safe if it's done properly" <-- riding a bike is never completely safe. ever. you could be sitting on the side of the road on your kick stand with the bike off and get hit by an out of control car.

"Causes less motorcycles to get rear-ended, saves lives" <-- its a small percentage that it is making slightly smaller while increasing other percentages. in the end it probably evens out.

"Helps motorcycles get around faster and can avoid potential accidents on the road" <-- wrong way of thinking, it puts the motorcyclist in more control of their position relative to other threats which means if you're good you can avoid accidents. if you're bad, you still get in the accident.

"We have 2 wheels, not 4. We can fit in between cars perfectly fine" <-- not sure how this is a pro but sure.

"They're cutting in line, wait in line like the rest of us!" <-- suckaduck mother trucker.

"It scares me when a motorcycle comes up out of nowhere" <-- pay more attention to your surroundings then

"If I open my door because maybe it didn't shut properly I would end up hitting them by accident" <-- it is explicitly illegal to open your door like that. how do you not know how to close your door when you get into the car. or check it when you aren't on the high way. besides if you really open your door all the way at highway speeds, or in traffic... i mean really? this is a non issue for anyone. if you open your door in traffic you should expect it to be a hazard and for other people to hit it. it's explicitly illegal to do this. and in california it is considered attempted murder 2 to intentionally open your door in front of a motorcyclist. all of these issues are road-rage or lack of attention related.

the real cons:

- you "inconvenience" people because they think that they need to adjust their lane position to accomodate you when they don't, which generally is a negative on bikers (since they are an inconvenience)
- you have a higher risk of debris, often debris gets flung onto your path and becomes unavoidable when splitting. tires blowing out, especially really big tires really sucks. people fling cigarettes out at you too.
- much higher attention and focus required, makes riding less enjoyable. (not as much of a damper as sitting in traffic though)
- if splitting up to a light, if you have any bike problems or stall you run a high risk of getting rear ended by the guy who you went in front of, or accidental sideswipe if you stayed in the middle. also being first in line at a light gives you higher chances of getting taken out by a red-light runner on blind intersections
- splitting to get to open areas of traffic means you can go however fast you want which generally leads to tickets.
- splitting near high population traffic lights, there are sometimes people in the streets that walk between cars not expecting bikes, so you can often get taken by surprise by some stupid jaywalker or guy selling papers in the street. just more hazards to deal with in general.
- if you split up to a light and the person you went in front of is a teenage male in a honda civic or subaru or mitsubishi, expect him to try to race you, and not care about what kind of dangers he is putting you in.
- sometimes sudden traffic on highways is from accidents. and so if you just auto-split right away without figuring out whats going on you can get stuck in ****** situations. maybe lanes are closed ahead and only the far right lane is open or something. people will be frantically changing lanes. not a good time for splitting. know what traffic is doing before you split

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #21
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
- if splitting up to a light, if you have any bike problems or stall you run a high risk of getting rear ended by the guy who you went in front of, or accidental sideswipe if you stayed in the middle. also being first in line at a light gives you higher chances of getting taken out by a red-light runner on blind intersections
Great post Alex, I especially like this point. I'm willing to bet this was the case for MANY of those awful crash videos on youtube. When we split to the front, since we're cutting everybody, we pretty much feel obligated to be the first one off the line.

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
do not split to the front if you are not going to gtfo asap

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #23
EsrTek

Alex makes some awesome points and examples!!
I'd mark alex.s post as helpful, but I just can't find that option..so you get this post

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Alex makes some awesome points and examples!!
I'd mark alex.s post as helpful, but I just can't find that option..so you get this post
Your questions will be answered in due time, your almost there.

Until then... I marked it helpful for you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #25
EsrTek

LMAO -- maybe a browser thing or I'm just blind and stupid...either works

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #26
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
LMAO -- maybe a browser thing or I'm just blind and stupid...either works
in all fairness I lack the slightest clue how to do it myself, I'm tempted to look through old threads of when it was introduced to figure it out when I'm not busy some time.

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Keep looking, might take a while.

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #28
Whiskey

If everyone on a bike does it everyone (cagers included) gets where they're going quicker.

The following study is from Belgium where filtering is legal and all bikers do it

Commuting by Motorcycle

Impact analysis of an increased share of motorcycles in commuting traffic

In this study, we examined the effects of an increased share of motorcycles in commuting traffic. A modal shift from private cars towards motorcycles affects the propagation of traffic flows and traffic congestion. There will also be an impact on emissions from traffic.

The impact on traffic congestion was determined in a case study for the highway stretch between Leuven and Brussels. Traffic flows in the morning commute were simulated in detail. A modal shift towards motorcycles results in shorter queues that disappear sooner. Travel times are significantly shorter. When 10% of all private cars are replaced by motorcycles, total time losses for all vehicles decrease by 40%. The attraction of new traffic (due to improved circumstances) is taken into account in this case study.

When the case study results are extrapolated to the entire highway network in Belgium, total time savings for all vehicles would add up to 15,000 hours, which is equivalent with benefits of € 350,000 per day.

The impact of a modal shift on emissions was also determined for the case study Leuven-Brussels. New motorcycles emit less pollutants compared to average private cars (less NOX, NO2, PM2.5 en EC, but more VOC). They also emit less CO2. Total external emission costs of new motorcycles are more than 20% lower compared to average private cars. On the highway stretch Leuven-Brussels, total emission costs can be reduced by 6% when 10% of private cars are replaced by motorcycles.

(Belgians drive much smaller cars than Americans, 1.4 to 2 litre, not 3.6l V8s)

http://www.tmleuven.be/project/motor...uting/home.htm

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
3.6L V8?? lol, I don't think America has ever made a V8 that small and revvy (and dainty). We approach cars with the brute force mentality of "MOAR DISPLACEMENT!" That's more like European sports cars like the Audi R8.

3.6L is V6 territory here.

But good point Whiskey. I think I've read through that study before, have you linked it here or did I find that one on my own?

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
must be an australian v8, I believe that I've heard of vauxhalls with that kind of setup. No american muscle head would be caught dead with anything less than 4L usually around 5L engines even if it sacrifices power the bigger displacement just rumbles so nicely.

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Whiskey

Quote:
3.6L V8?? lol, I don't think America has ever made a V8 that small and revvy. That's more like European sports cars like the R8. 3.6L is V6 territory, IJS.

But good point Whiskey. I think I've read through that study before, have you linked it here or did I find that one on my own?
I have it as a copy & paste from the blog at this stage, for whenever this topic reappears I can't be bothered typing it out again & again...

Fair point the camaros on sale here are 3.6 V6s, thought they were all V8s

Old December 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #32
Løckøut
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
I want to do it so bad. There's this really bad spot on I-12 that is always 5 miles of dead stop or <20mph traffic because of people getting on one exit then getting of the next one in a city. One day I will save up for a wreckless driving ticket and do it, untill then I will suffocate in my helmet and pray I don't get rear ended
I have a spot in my commute where its a 15-25min ordeal of stop-and-go in a car; I've never had a horn blast, fake out, or otherwise negative action from commuters @ 5-10mph faster on the ninjette. They know they'd do it as well if they could.
I think I went over this on another thread;

As long as you're in full view of their rear AND driver side mirror before passing, you've got a 99% chance of living.

Make sure you're in full view of the whole pass. Try not to duck down, and extra RPMs don't hurt so they can hear you there.

If there are cars on both sides, I highly doubt they'll decide to change lanes into each other at the exact moment you're passing through them.

Contrary to my scenario on my commute, I like to have the speed advantage when splitting. I want to get where I want before they have time to react in most cases, so there's no hazard to me. I understand it may seem a bit 'selfish' if I'm spooking the driver I'm splitting past, but. gasp and curse me out, Id rather that than be flattened on the pavement.

EDIT: Here's that old post I referred to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Løckøut View Post
Yeah, it's not legal here in Oklahoma. Basically, if you want to lane split, make sure you have the room and throttle over the car or cars involved; and if you want to set up for a split, make sure you're at the left extremity of the vehicle in front of you so that tey can clearly see you in their driver side mirror. I stay in plain sight and remain vigilant when lane splitting; if I'm not visible or will not be visible during said split, I make sure to be moving faster so I can get there before they can merge on me. The best time to split is to literally split between cars; theyre not going to hit eachother , or want to get close to one another. And they already see the car in the lane next to them [hopefully], giving you an accident-free approach.

Hope this helped.
Løckøut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #33
rasta
Your face

Quote:
and extra RPMs don't hurt so they can hear you there.
Loudness doesn't equal visibility. Even when it comes to Harleys' pipes. By the time a cager hears you, you're already up on them, and if they decided to jump in front of you, it'd be too late for any emergency braking.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #34
Løckøut
ninjette.org member

That'd go back to Alex's comment of driver awareness. I'm sure you can orient where a motor vehicle is when you hear it passing by. If anything, they wouldn't just jump into the next lane when hearing you pull up; it'd be a quick tap of the brake or a quick look around, or both. Right?

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #35
rasta
Your face

Quote:
That'd go back to Alex's comment of driver awareness. I'm sure you can orient where a motor vehicle is when you hear it passing by. If anything, they wouldn't just jump into the next lane when hearing you pull up; it'd be a quick tap of the brake or a quick look around, or both. Right?
I'm not prepared to say all drivers thoroughly look before changing lanes. Relying on a driver to hear my pipes in order to 'see' me isn't something I would do, personally.

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #36
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
There are some serious a$$holes who would love to see you splattered all over the road. They are far and few in between but they are out there. The only thing protecting you from them is you being faster then them and witnesses.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #37
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

At first when I started riding I was too scared to lane split (plus it's illegal here in Missouri). However, over the past month or two I started splitting when traffic was at <10 mph, or at stoplights. I especially prefer to when it's between cars and the curb; only one side of me with a bunch of potential doors opening.

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #38
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRidin View Post
At first when I started riding I was too scared to lane split (plus it's illegal here in Missouri). However, over the past month or two I started splitting when traffic was at <10 mph, or at stoplights. I especially prefer to when it's between cars and the curb; only one side of me with a bunch of potential doors opening.
Think "where's the safest place I can be?"

Aren't people more likely to open the door to step out onto the curb than into traffic...

It's also where most of the crap on the road ends up.

It's my last choice (waiting between vehicles even comes before it) unless there's a very good reason to go up the inside, for example:

A cycle Lane that's legal to move through , a red light, I'm about to turn that way & I can hit the front before the light changes.

That's the second last corner on my commute, not a random collection of scenarios.

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #39
Løckøut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
There are some serious a$$holes who would love to see you splattered all over the road. They are far and few in between but they are out there. The only thing protecting you from them is you being faster then them and witnesses.
+1

Old December 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #40
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

The AMA is trying to legalize it in all states currently. Just read a story about it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=lane

I have never done it myself, but it sounds interesting. I personally wouldn't need to do it much myself as I am in heavy traffic very infrequently.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote