ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Do loud pipes save lives?
yes 138 34.24%
no 203 50.37%
I don't care, I'm a bad mofo and just want the loudest pipe so people notice me 40 9.93%
I want to make my stock exhaust even more quiet 49 12.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #201
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

Loud pipes are for Harley's and squids. I purchased an MGP Growler. Ran it for a week. It's currently for sale.

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #202
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Read the thread from the beginning, all the points have been made. I'm fine, but will not let a "loud pipes save lives" comment go by on this board without correcting folks. It's right up there with "I had to lay it down" and "what helmet?" in the trifecta of silly motorcyclist beliefs that just won't die.

It will here.
What is it you're correcting Alex?

Your opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses on this forum. Whether it's right or wrong or weird or childish or stupid or whatever people think it is.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #203
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
I agree with adrian, even if it saves me from one then Its worth it. Maybe that lady wouldnt have side swiped me if she heard me next to her
Sorry Kevin, but this is where the error comes into play. Instead of thinking a loud pipe will save you in that accident, it should be why you placed yourself in that situation. Also, even if your pipe was louder, chances are they still won't hear you since the sound is behind you, not next to you.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #204
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
What is it you're correcting Alex?
Have you really not read the thread? Or are you just trolling?

Quote:
Your opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses on this forum. Whether it's right or wrong or weird or childish or stupid or whatever people think it is.
This is off-base as well. Everyone's opinion has the ability to become valuable, true. But over time, those opinions that are patently false, wrong-headed, illogical, and just downright silly usually get exposed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #205
TFKninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

Very Interesting, The Experienced are on the ball, Some people are just bias and just loud pipe haters, I bought an after market pipe a few weeks back just before my crash and yes I sold the Idea to the MRS that it will be safer being louder, and she agreed as she has been driving in her car and gone to change lanes to suddenly have a bike appear. At the end of the day it's a contributer to safety, anything that enhances human senses will. but to what extreme. I had my pipe on for about 1 day before I got sick of it, I was hoping it would grow on me, I definately got more attention. in cars and pedestrians, but they all look at you with that " what a #$%@" look. I put my old pipe back on and prefered that. Now I have munted my OEM in the crash and to replace that is twice the price of even the most expensive aftermarket pipe. So I am now looking into removable baffles or finding a way to silence my After market pipe. I also will have to mod the rest of the bike to suit it now. My bike ran better on the OEM. Loud is safer but the issue of being public enemy number 1 out weighs it when you got neighbours throwing bricks at you. Just riding safer is better.

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #206
adri99an

Trolling this hot topic since 2010

do people buy an exhaust because they want to be heard....depends

do people buy an exhaust because it will save their life.....I hope not

are loud pipes annoying...why yes they are but man they sound nice in 4th gear

do they save lives...no..... and yes (depends on one's life experience)

is safe driving the key....of course

do people rely on ther pipe as a safety factor....hope not

will the safest driver in the world ever get hit....probably

what if that same driver had a loud ass exhaust that annoyed everyone on the block and started legislation in Washington DC.....maybe not on that day because the cager heard him (and of course that's a maybe)

I will continue to troll as Alex put it.....

Where's Bobby Brown these days?

Lastly.....
if you have an exhaust and found out that a cager heard you and was about to turn into you or pull out in front of you or get in your lane.....but ALL this was avoided because they heard you..they heard that stupid loud noise maker....how would you feel about exhausts then?

Yep.

Opinions...brewing since the beginning of mankind

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #207
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Two bikes. One a cruiser, Vance & Hines Slash Cut Staggereds. The other, the Ninjette with the 2 Bros Slip on. Both are, as you can imagine, louder than the stock bikes. I have had MANY close calls with both, whether stock muffled or aftermarket muffled. Blared the horn, flipped up the face shield and cursed til Satan blushed with shame. STILL have close calls. Morons merging onto 222 South, 283 West, PA Turnpike, you name it, it seems their intent is to merge INTO as many bikes as possible. Moroffs at T-intersections, only looking one way (left) before they gun it and nearly turn my Ninjette and I into a two dimensional representation of a 250cc bike and rider. Even with the deeper, throatier lungs the 2 Bros provides does not stop them. I have had T-intersection situations where the morons and moroffs LOOKED RIGHT AT ME and still gunned it to save that 0.000045445790 seconds by nearly doing the 2 dimensional thing to me and the Ninjette. I have learned that I need to approach these situations defensively because a 380lb bike and 160lb rider are no match for a 3000lb unattentive, motorized, battering ram. Slow down, LOOK THEM IN THE EYE, and proceed cautiously. I now always assume that they are out to kill me...or at least they want a 2 dimensional art project...A Man and His Bike in Blood Red...

Johnny

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #208
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

yea, theres never going to be an end to this thread and some people just dont want to acknowledge other peoples valid opinions and experiences so rather than get aggravated im prob gonna unsubscribe to this thread now.

speaking on MY behalf: i was nearly hit by a car 2 times in the same week with my stock exhaust by women switching lanes. since switching to an MGP i have not had any situations like that. has the exhaust saved my life? maybe, maybe not. but i like a bike that sounds like a bike and i would rather be seen and heard and if there was a smell i could attach to my bike to help people know i was there i'd do that too.

yes, safe riding and constant awareness are my responsibility and the best way to go, but it cant hurt to wear a bright green jacket and sound like a motorcycle when riding either. and the stock exhaust on a 250 does NOT sound like a motorcycle.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #209
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
why do i have such a loud pipe????
like bobby brown said:
"ITS MY PREROGATIVE!"
Yes it is. And although I personally don't like your loud pipe, I don't want you to loose it. In fact, it makes me a little bit happy that you are enjoying your loud pipe, just because you can. However..... as you enjoy your loud pipe, please do so in a [reasonably] sensitive manner (you won't be able to please everyone though). Regardless of which side of the issue people are on, as long as they respect the other, we are a lot less likely to loose our rights to loud pipes, freedoms of speech, guns, etc., etc.

Case in point: Right now in CA a SMALL group of people decided to protest by exercising their right to open-carry handguns. It isn't the fact that they did this, it is the WAY that they did this, and sought to rub it in the faces of those who don't like it that is problematic (details aren't important for the purposes of this thread).... now guess what - There is now legislation in CA to revoke the right to "open-carry." This was pretty obvious to most responsible gun owners in CA, but the small group wouldn't listen to reason, and ruined it for everyone.

So.... enjoy your pipe, and I appreciate the fact that you also respect me by backing off on the throttle a little bit when you pass my house at midnight.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #210
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post

So.... enjoy your pipe, and I appreciate the fact that you also respect me by backing off on the throttle a little bit when you pass my house at midnight.
absolutely! when i get home after working friday or saturday nites at 230-3AM my neighborhood is quiet and i throttle down and cut the engine asap when parking.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #211
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
absolutely! when i get home after working friday or saturday nites at 230-3AM my neighborhood is quiet and i throttle down and cut the engine asap when parking.
I was actually thinking specifically of 2 neighbors when I left my comment. Both have loud pipes (probably HDs), and both are mature enough to respect the neighborhood when they leave for work at 2-3 in the am, but I didn't know one was a fellow Ninjette member

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #212
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

That's good to hear at least. Where I live, there's about 20 motorcycles in our covered parking lot. Everyone is fairly considerate, but there is this one person who wails on it exiting the lot and sets off about 30 car alarms.

I work at 5 am so I keep my rpms below 5k until I'm a mile out of the residential area.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #213
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHooligan View Post
Theres loud and then theres "LOUD" as hell. Straight pipes are taking it too another level on an inline four but I don't see any thing wrong with after market pipes, in fact I love them. If your running a 250, you def need a slip on. The 250 sounds like a blender and you cant hear it worth a damn.

The 250 is ridicously loud straight piped with aftermarket head pipes .. HUGE diff over straight piped with stock head pipes LOL but back on topic I like loud , ride with harleys and they have drag pipes so.. my exhaust is louder then most 250's
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #214
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
are loud pipes annoying...
Yes, so annoying that California has a new law making them illegal.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #215
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

They were yanking me for exhausts back in my Integra LS days in 02-03.
Such a good throaty deep tone. Mmmmmm. 'teggy. I missss youuuu
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #216
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Just what we need... another REDUNDANT law. It would be nice if law makers researched EXISTING laws before burdoning the public with yet another.

BTW: If you live in Folsom, CA the PD won't touch your pipe. I think I mentioned this earlier, but they have literally said so. There are a few loud pipes here, but they really aren't a problem.

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #217
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
They were yanking me for exhausts back in my Integra LS days in 02-03.
Such a good throaty deep tone. Mmmmmm. 'teggy. I missss youuuu
Back in 02-03!???? To me, that is a NEW car! lol

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #218
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
I've been "hearing" this for years. Where is it at in legislation?

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #219
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It was signed into law by the Governator last September. Goes into effect Jan 1, 2013, so it's a little ways out.

link on SportRider's site

Search on SB435 for any number of other articles on it.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #220
headshrink

"The noise pollution caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality of life issue across the state," SB 435's author, Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica), said in a news release issued Monday. "Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, that is too loud.”

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/news/146_1...#ixzz1VGchXZ8i

Can you imagine making this type of statement in court? There isn't a newly graduated lawyer alive that wouldn't make you look like an idiot.... and yet these are the people writting our laws.

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #221
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Seriously? You don't think if you lined up 20 random people you yanked out of a grocery store and asked them the same question, a majority of them wouldn't agree with that thought? The average Joe (or Jane) already leans anti-motorcycle, there's no denying that. Arguing that motorcycles *shouldn't* be held to reasonable noise standards along with other vehicles isn't a winning argument, no matter which lawyer is on deck.

Of course there are already enough laws on the books for people to choose to enforce or not enforce, so it remains to be seen if this new one will have a large, small, or no effect on what motorcyclists choose to do with their exhausts on 2013+ bikes.

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #222
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Noise limits and the altering of vehicle exhaust for both cages and bikes is allready covered under federal law and is not enforced. Would making it a state law make it easier for the state to enforce?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #223
headshrink

No, I'm not saying the average Joe wouldn't agree. I'm saying a law-maker should be held to a higher standard than justifying his bill based on insane exaggerations like his "quality of life" statement, or sweeping generalizations about setting off "every car alarm." In normal, casual conversation.... OK, but not when you have power and responsibility like that. Even if I were a law-maker, which I am clearly not, I would be pissed because those types of statement continue to marginalize the "profession" (term used as loose as possible). We all know that loud pipes don't significantly affect the "quality of life." Cancer affects quality of life. Homelessness affects quality of life, and legislators affect quality of life, but a momentary annoyance does NOT affect quality of like. And although they may set off some car alarms, the really loud ones may set off more than one, but not EVERY car alarm. I have NEVER in my life even heard more than 2 or 3 car alarms at the same time. That is just insane, manipulative, and intellectually dishonest rhetoric.

And notice, I'm not defending loud pipes.... as I stated before, I personally don't like them.

Old August 17th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #224
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

took this at the 250 rally...

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #225
Jinx250
Smoker

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Noise limits and the altering of vehicle exhaust for both cages and bikes is allready covered under federal law and is not enforced. Would making it a state law make it easier for the state to enforce?
The federal rules are not "law" in the sense you're thinking. The FMVSS are a set of standards imposed on manufacturers. They have no true force of law on an individual, and are not available for use in that regard.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #226
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
The federal rules are not "law" in the sense you're thinking. The FMVSS are a set of standards imposed on manufacturers. They have no true force of law on an individual, and are not available for use in that regard.
It may just be a local thing but we have other noise limits on the books here too... I think if your radio can be heard 20-something feet away, you can be cited. I'm not sure if that is limited to sound systems or not, this was to combat all the thumping.... that was impacting our "quality of life."

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #227
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Sorry Kevin, but this is where the error comes into play. Instead of thinking a loud pipe will save you in that accident, it should be why you placed yourself in that situation. Also, even if your pipe was louder, chances are they still won't hear you since the sound is behind you, not next to you.
Oh trust me, I understand that, I'm just saying maybe should would have heard me

I say my statement again. If it saves me from ONE crash, then its worth it

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #228
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
That's good to hear at least. Where I live, there's about 20 motorcycles in our covered parking lot. Everyone is fairly considerate, but there is this one person who wails on it exiting the lot and sets off about 30 car alarms.

I work at 5 am so I keep my rpms below 5k until I'm a mile out of the residential area.
i didn't know we lived in the same complex?!

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #229
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I say my statement again. If it saves me from ONE crash, then its worth it
It won't; it's not.

If people just stated they like the way the pipes look, sound, and in some cases perform, there would be much less eye-rolling. Playing them off as a safety improvement (in any manner whatsoever) is just silly.

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #230
headshrink

I'll go first.

I love the way my AreaP QC looks.
I like the way may AreaP QC sounds when compared with stock exhaust.
I choose the AreaP QC because of other's (and manufacturer's) claims of increased performance.
Making extra loud noise does not make me feel good, but gives me more of a sense of isolation, as MOST non-MCs also don't like loud pipes (I would rather be friends).
I specifically chose the QC because I didn't want to be TOO loud (added db was merely a compromise with performance).

But you probably meant people who prefer loud pipes

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #231
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It won't; it's not.

If people just stated they like the way the pipes look, sound, and in some cases perform, there would be much less eye-rolling. Playing them off as a safety improvement (in any manner whatsoever) is just silly.
it will... Seriously you cant tell me that ONE person hasent heard my bike, and possibly didn't hit me? Thats just asinine

And I love the way my Area P looks, performs, and sounds

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #232
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
it will... Seriously you cant tell me that ONE person hasent heard my bike, and possibly didn't hit me? Thats just asinine

And I love the way my Area P looks, performs, and sounds
I actually had someone tell me at a stop light last night that they would have merged into me if my bike didnt, and I quote, "Sound so annoying"
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #233
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Sorry to dis-agree but anything that adds to you being noticed does help.
Louder pipes do contribute to an overall goal.

This whole thread where some to want to take it literal that loud pipes directly effect 'saving lives' is crap. You might as well be arguing Yellow reflective vest 'save lives' too. It is the same argument!

Can either have a direct effect on the saving of a life if crashed, hell no!!!

Do they both play a vital part in making/getting you more noticed, which *may* keep you safer then if you had neither in same situation... hell YES!!!!

**note I never said either of these are 100% fool proof or will save you from every moron on road, but if they make 1 of those cagers notice you instead of hitting you then they work and should be used.**
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #234
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Sorry to dis-agree but anything that adds to you being noticed does help.
Louder pipes do contribute to an overall goal.

This whole thread where some to want to take it literal that loud pipes directly effect 'saving lives' is crap. You might as well be arguing Yellow reflective vest 'save lives' too. It is the same argument!

Can either have a direct effect on the saving of a life if crashed, hell no!!!

Do they both play a vital part in making/getting you more noticed, which *may* keep you safer then if you had neither in same situation... hell YES!!!!

**note I never said either of these are 100% fool proof or will save you from every moron on road, but if they make 1 of those cagers notice you instead of hitting you then they work and should be used.**
Thank you sir!!

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #235
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I can, and just did. You pass thousands and thousands of cars a year. Some might hear you coming, some might not. Some might swerve towards a noise. Some might swerve away. Most will be affected in no way whatsoever. CHP motor officers complain that people don't hear their sirens.

Believing that a louder pipe is going to have any measurable safety benefit on whether that particular car you're worried about right in front or right next of you is going to do something silly, is simply false. You need to ride 100% of the time as if the other driver is deaf/dumb/blind/uncoordinated, has no idea you're there no matter what clues you give off, and quite possibly might have homicidal tendencies.

You'll realize this sooner, or you'll realize this later.

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #236
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

treadmilling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca00 View Post
I'll take a perfectly silent bike please.

Loud pipes are like those $5 deer horns. Neither do anything to prevent people from ruining your day.
No decibels, no forward movement. But I agree in as quiet as possible and still providing performance I need on track/street. Right now my bike is loud and having ridden it that way for awhile including track and straight time/mph runs I can't wait to put my stockers back on, even putting my original carbs set et. al. Just keeping it naked she will outperform anything past 07 anyway.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #237
headshrink

Just for fun, lets go to the opposite extreme for a moment.... what do you guys think of the electric motorcycles? I think there is a small company that might produce these, but I have seen several youtube videos of electric project motorcycles. Do you think these extremely quiet bikes are more dangerous than a stock bike? Although I am not in the loud pipe camp, I have to admit the idea of a virtually silent bike does make me a little uneasy.
I saw a related report about 9 months or so ago about I THINK a European country pushing to force electric and hybrid cars to add an artificial noise maker. They were primarily concerned with blind people, I think, and I don't remember if they reported any actual incidents..... although a silent vehicle makes me a little uneasy, adding a noise-maker just doesn't sit right. The prototype made these awful electronic noises. I do think, however, that if in the future all cars, or most cars, where silent, people would adapt by watching a little closer where they are going/walking.

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #238
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
There are a quite a number of electric motorcycles and mopeds in China, where I lived for several years. There are some issues with pedestrians stepping out not expecting them because of the quiet, and the disabled community is unhappy about them. It would suck if you are blind. But the concerns are limited to pedestrians. I never heard any issue (heh, never heard) related to motorycle/moped/car interactions.

I rode a friend's electric a few times, and never really had an issue with cars. It makes sense because as a car driver, I pretty much saw the electric bikes before I would have heard them anyway, and there is so gosh darn much general traffic noise that you really couldn't tell the difference between the electric and the gas ones anyway. That was about how is was as a rider, too.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #239
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
priuses (priora?) are the preferred vehicle for drive-bys... can't be heard.

i was at the gas station the other day and was seriously startled by a prius that pulled up next to me that i didn't hear... no car there, turned around for a second and then BAM. car there. i jumped a little... i think the guy laughed at me for it... i felt kinda stupid.

with that said, i firmly believe that there is a large amount of the population that drives their cars with not only their hearing impaired (blasting music, talking on the phone, talking to someone in the car, literally deaf which is legal to drive with, plenty of other situations) but they drive with their intelligence impaired. people in cars are stupid. they may be peace prize winners in theoretical physics, but when they get behind that wheel, they turn into cousin skeeter trying to figure the difference between his boogers and his dingle berries, and which you can eat. if you don't want to get hit by them, drive with the assumption that if you get within smashing distance of them, they will actively try to smash into you. if you treat everyone like they want to kill you, things like them hearing you become a requirement of the past... because they never hear you. they never see you. and lord knows they never stop after they hit you unless there's someone there to chase them down.

when people say things like "if you need them to hear you, you've already failed" they mean to say, "if you put yourself in the situation where they can hit you, regardless of if they can or can't hear you, you fail"

Old August 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #240
adri99an

I just purchased 2 more "pipes"

One in case the big one hits..... and one to keep under my pillow in case of an intruder.