ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 7th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

I'm not cut out for this ****!

Not you guys. You guys have been great. I just don't think I'm cut out for riding in traffic. A quick history - I've nearly died in several wrecks, none of them my fault, and none of them on a bike. I'd like to keep the "not on a bike" like it is.

The traffic here isn't bad on a broad scale. But the stupidity is astounding, and largely, mostly, possibly even mostly entirely, due to cell phones. I'm damned tired of nearly getting run over every time I get on a road where the speed limit is over 40 mph, and sometimes even then. It f-ckin isn't worth what joy I get out of it.

I'm looking for a decent dual-sport. I'm mostly a dirt biker anyway, and as soon as I can get away from the cagers the only thing I have to worry about that's beyond my control is other riders going the other way. Since I ride stock pipes, I can nearly always hear them coming but it's rare that they go where I like to ride.

I appreciate everything I've been taught here. And that's not a "FY, I'm leaving". I'll hang out now and then, y'all are good folks. But today i came to the realization that road riding just isn't something I can enjoy. No fault of anyone ... except for the stupid, cell-phoning cagers, and they don't post here or I'd scald them at every opportunity.

So it isn't at all goodbye, but rather "thanks for the fish". I really appreciate all the help and instruction I've gotten here for gratis, and if I can wrap my mind around riding the road while physically surrounded by a swarm of texting idiots again I'll chime in more.

Again, this isn't adieu, or FYYFF. It's a thank you for helping me figure out my dissatisfaction, and I'd rate this place as the best place to learn to ride correctly.

Thank you, and I truly mean it. I know that's overly redundant but considering the misunderstandings that this media often holds, I wanted to make it plain. You guys rock!
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old September 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Do what you feel is right for you. Enjoy the dirt, because I know I have this season. Just watch out for the deer in the woods and other critters. They are still there and now your in their domain. lol

Don't be a stranger and come back to post pics of your adventures.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'll give you $300 for your engine

Old September 7th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Thank you, and I truly mean it. I know that's overly redundant but considering the misunderstandings that this media often holds, I wanted to make it plain. You guys rock!
Great post and prudent decision, Bob !!!
There are many ways to enjoy motorcycling and the street version is really dangerous indeed.
I wish I had a dirt bike and a place to play !!!

You are welcome, my friend
Be well
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #5
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Good call if the street isn't for you. I can understand, the people out there driving are, well, you know. I can't imagine you'd have a hard time getting rid of that 2013 CB500 for a nice dual sport, I'd say go DRZ400 but I don't really know what all you want in a dirt bike.

If you ever get bored of the dirt there's always track riding too! Or just throw some 17s on your dual sport and do sumo track days at your local kart track
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #6
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Go pure track

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #7
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Come over to Aussie and you will love riding on the street

we have dual highway's not 20 lanes over there

go full track with a ninja 250r
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear that you are giving up, but if you aren't comfortable on the road, and don't see yourself ever getting that way, then maybe the prudent thing is to bow out gracefully.

FWIW, when I first started riding, I thought that I would never go on the interstate because it was too dangerous. Now I do it all the time without a thought. It just takes time to build up the necessary skills. The same is true for the first time I rode across town or in a tropical storm. I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to my destination, but not any more. Again, practice, practice, practice is what new bikers need.

You also might be living in an area that is anti-biker. This might explain why cars are always trying to get you.

I respect your decision, but if you ever want to try it again, maybe find someone up there that will ride with you and teach you the proper skills.

Old September 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Dirt will never try to run you over. You'll a have alot of fun off road
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Man up.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Do what you feel is right for you. Enjoy the dirt, because I know I have this season. Just watch out for the deer in the woods and other critters. They are still there and now your in their domain. lol

Don't be a stranger and come back to post pics of your adventures.
Yup, animals are suicidally stupid around vehicles, I was almost having front wheel skewered lamb for dinner yesterday after one bolted across my path.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sorry you couldn't enjoy the open road, but folks are crazy, an it's not for everyone... Best wishes in your other pursuits!

Old September 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
Come over to Aussie and you will love riding on the street

we have dual highway's not 20 lanes over there
Thanks for the invitation! Back in the mid-80's I tried really hard to move to Oz, but you can't look for work on a visitor's visa, and you can't get a work visa unless you already have a job offer. I'm a coal miner by trade and there were plenty of jobs there at the time that I was qualified to do, but try as I might I couldn't work out the details. There's probably some left-handed way to work out the "no job hunting on a tourist visa" but I never discovered it.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote