ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Cafe Help

So I finally decided on a direction to go with my build but I need some help. I would really like to do my tail section like this bike:

I just don't know what to do. I really don't want to get into fiberglassing if I don't have to and this tail looks manufactured. Can anyone shed some light? Or if you know the builder of this bike any chance he did a build thread somewhere?
Eagle981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The pic you tried to link.

Cool! No clue about who did this bike. First time I have seen it posted on this forum.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
glassing isn't hard. kinda smelly and messy but definitely not complicated. if you dont want to learn how to do it you could easily just build the piece you want out of foam or wood or something and take it to someone to have the plug glassed into a mould and then the mould could be used to make the tail piece you want. there's also lots of aftermarket pieces designed to replicate the look. they are generally not designed for a specific model, so small modifications are usually required.

Old February 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Fixed my original image link. I'm dumb lol

To alex.s:
I looked at some aftermarket pieces and didnt really see anything super close to this. I just like how well it looks with the stock seat (though modified) and it looks like it belongs on the bike. I also wanted to know exactly where he/she moved everything that is usually in the tail part of the frame

Old February 13th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
right so if you look at the photo you can see the CDI, battery and relays just kinda hanging out behind the airbox under the seat. the only other pieces that are in the tail that you need would be the tail lights (signals, brakes, license plate light)

that seat does look slightly modified, and the frame has been modified lightly to clean it up (tabs removed, etc)

not sure where the actual body work is from. airtech streamlining (a local company here in san diego) makes a few cafe style tails... maybe ask them which would be best for a pregen ninja 250?

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...eats_round.htm

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Look at Hotwing Glass. There are also several eBay sellers with 'glass and expanded plastic cafe seats.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll take a look and see what I like

Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette 250R

im glag i stopped by this thread, i was looking at cafe style seats for a possible transition from a streetfighter to a racer so i searched up and found this site. they offer multiple styles and also sell cusions to go along with them:
http://legendary-motorcycles.com/caferacerseats.html

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle981 View Post
Can anyone shed some light? Or if you know the builder of this bike any chance he did a build thread somewhere?
Indeed.

Here is the "Build thread."
http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.p...f&topic=3487.0

And it's not mentioned in that thread but this is where he got the tail.
http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php

Bit pricy for my taste. But the other option is to either make one yourself, or to chop the tail section and do a bit of fab work to make it short and pretty. Or leave it as is and keep the grab handle attached.

Also, if I can make one recommendation - Those headlight brackets are complete ****. Take my word for it. If you're planning a bucket headlight, spend the extra few bucks and get these brackets instead. You will have to loosen the triples and slide the forks down to get these over the top, but it's worth the extra effort, trust me.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-66-35830.html

Good luck on your project! That bike was one of my main inspirations for fightering my bike.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

I already have my front end relatively done...got aluminum brackets similar to the ones you suggested (got them from mikesxs). Just looking to clean up the back end have a relatively pretty bike instead of the funky thing I've got now lol

Old February 28th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post

Also, if I can make one recommendation - Those headlight brackets are complete ****. Take my word for it. If you're planning a bucket headlight, spend the extra few bucks and get these brackets instead. You will have to loosen the triples and slide the forks down to get these over the top, but it's worth the extra effort, trust me.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-66-35830.html

Mmmmhm. What problems did you have with the cheap headlight bracket? I've been using the cheap kind for a while with 0 issues.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #12
CynicalC

They fit like garbage.

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I've used the $15 three-hole steel headlight ears, both chromed and black, on three projects and have no complaints. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to install and attractive. With the Ninja, they fit better if installed with the clamp toward the outside, so they don't have to be bent to suit the width of a 7" headlight. Here's a pair on my '06:

Last futzed with by Chicagobob; March 1st, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #14
CynicalC

Maybe it's just the ones I got. Thought they were universal though. They fit so sloppy they moved side to side. And tightening the screws any more to secure them just bent the little tabs that hold the two halves together.

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Huh, well they work fine for me. I know what you are saying about those flimsy tabs. You just can't torque those screws down that much. And you shouldn't have to.

All I know is, I am satisfied with them.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote