ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

Name: Nelson

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

DMP Integrated Tail Light Wiring Problems!

I am attempting to figure out what wires go where with my 2010 250R, I am tryin to put a DMP integrated taillight on my bike but CAN'T figure out where the turn signal wires go. I have gotten the brake light to work but cant figure out how to get the turn signals to work. Any ideas???
Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

I have a bikelitez integrated tail light and for my turn signals, i had to cut/splice/solder the wires from the light onto the stock turn signals. Never really looked into DMP lights. But there should be two wire that you aren't using if you have the brake/ running light hooked up correctly. These wires are your turn signal inputs. It may take a little bit of trial and error. But you may end up needing to cut your stock signal wires because the plugs are way to far forward on the bike to reach the tail light wires.

Ill go see if i can go hunt down a wiring diagram for you.

EDIT: this may be of some help to you: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=14
this particular person opted to keep the stock signals on the bike (possibly for legal reasons) but if you choose to do so, you can simply use wire splices like the ones shown in the pics and just cut the wires after your splice. Hope this helps!!
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

I have seen that thread. And that isnt what im looking to do. I want to replace the stock turns with the integrated tail light. I just cant figure what wires from the tail light goes into EXACTLY which wires on the bike

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/nehp_i...kaw250r_08.pdf

that might be what you are looking for. if you would like, i can take pictures of mine tomorrow for you.
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

yes i had seen that. This is the exact prob. The stock blinkers wires run into a clip. So I un-did the clip and assumed there would be a place for the new wires from the new tail light. But I am failing to figure out where exactly they attach. So yes, any pics or a detailed guild to where or which wires need to be attached..

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Bikemonkey Integrated light install DIY.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21581

The wiring (and as far as I can tell the whole light) is exactly the same between the original design by Bikemonkey and the clone by DMP.

You want to connect the turn signal wires to the turn signal leads from the bike, where the old/stock signals connected. There will be 2 wires per socket (and 2 sockets, 1 for left turn, 1 for right turn). Connect one turn signal wire to the bike withe that is NOT Black/yellow (which is ground). Should be the gray wire on the right side, green on the left.

As Josh and many many many other posts/posters have discovered, it's usually not as easy as just plugging it into the socket because the aftermarket lights pretty much never come with a direct plug & play connector into stock wiring. So you wind up needing to splice, or redo the connector or find another way to get the two to mate properly.

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

Okay and what is the best way to get the wires to fit together? I understand the yellow wire from the tail light is to go to the gray wire on the bike and vice verca, but the gray and green wires run into a clip, so how do I attach the new wires to those color wires specially? Remove the the wires on the bike from the clip they run into then splice according?

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Yeah, some people will snip off the harness from the stock light and crimp on the new wire to the old one, then you can plug it back in. You can also use a wire tap on the factory harness. Just cut back some of the black sheathing on the wires.

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

You could cut the leads with connectors from the factory signals. Splice the lead from the DMP turn signal with the corresponding lead from the factory signal.
No cutting/modification needed to the factory wiring harness.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Momaru

What I did was purchase the exact mating connectors from Eastern Beaver, an electrical supply company out of Japan. They carry pretty much every electrical connector I've seen on the bike, including the one for the turn signals. That way I kept my stock hardware completely in-tact in case I need to put it back on for inspection or selling the bike.

Here's a direct link. To mate to the stock harness turn signal connectors, you'll want two of the 2P050-Female (first connector listed on the page comes in blue or orange), one per signal. They come with the proper pins. If you just want the metal pin to mate to the stock pin, it's at the bottom of the same page, HE050 Female Terminal.

2 points of notice though:
1) Shipping may be a tad expensive since it'll be under his minimum order of $20, BUT his shipping is quick (every one of my orders has shown up exactly 9 days after I placed it) considering it's from Japan and in my experience, his customer service has never been anything less than phenomenal.
2) Those connectors can be a pain in the arse to crimp properly if you don't have the right tool (~$70, can be ordered from his site, I have one). If you're going this route, I suggest ordering some extra female pins.

I might have a couple of those pins laying around extra if you wanna give it a go, but I'm sure I don't have any extra connectors.

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Momaru

As yet another alternative, and probably the easiest of the lot:

Take apart your stock signal by removing the screw in the back of the bulb housing.

Pull out the silver reflector and find the two connectors on the back. They should literally just pull off of the part that's attached to the reflector. Then pull the wires out of the stalk(with the spade-receivers), and insert the narrow spade from the DMP light into the stock turn signal wire spade receiver on the green wire. Cover the other lead (black/yellow) in tape so it doesn't short-circuit. Test

When it's right (left turn switch gives left turn on the integrated), I suggest taping or heat-shrinking the connection to keep it from wiggling loose.

No cutting of any kind to any harness, no splicing, crimping, soldering or other tools-necessary activities (other than a phillips-head screwdriver).
Make sense?

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

okay, i have figured out to get all the wires connected. I simply need to know how to make them blink. The yellow LED's will light up and they stay on, they dont blink. Probably due to the need of a relay, I just need to know if I can go to autozone or what I need.

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I used this one from autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...h&fromType=oem
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

Did you have the same problem prior to the install of this relay?

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Momaru

Vampyre, I'll warn you, the EL12 relay you linked will likely work, but only so long as you have some of the OEM turn signals (or other incandescent) still in the circuit. As soon as you switch to all-LED, it needs to be replaced with one designed for that use. I had some serious problems with that relay, proton flush-mounts up front and an integrated flasher/brake in the rear (and diode mod done).

Here's a few links to suggested relays:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...09&postcount=3
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76116
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=21
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=87

Essentially, if you can find a relay that matches our pin setup that's designed for use with LEDs.
In short, I strongly recommend the CF12ANL-01 from SuperbrightLEDS.com (last link above)

I don't wanna seem rude (in fact I'm trying to help ya out), but all of this information has been posted in multiple other threads on the forum, some of which are still fairly active.
Try the search function, it's really useful and can save you the time of waiting for a response.

Old September 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #16
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

Thank you paul I will be ordering the one you recommended shortly. As far as the rest of the wiring goes all I need to do to crimp the turn signal wires to the corresponding wires from the bike. What do I do with the ground wires coming from the bike?

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
Thank you paul I will be ordering the one you recommended shortly. As far as the rest of the wiring goes all I need to do to crimp the turn signal wires to the corresponding wires from the bike. What do I do with the ground wires coming from the bike?
Don't even need to crimp necessarily, depending on what method you use.

For the now-unneeded ground wires I'd just throw a little electrical tape over the exposed contact area, to prevent accidental shorting. I like to throw a couple wraps on, then loop the wire back onto itself, and tape it there, to keep it out of the way.

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #18
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

That is what I thought! Np

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #19
Boomstick
ninjette.org member

When I get the flush mount front turn signals, will I need to buy the relay that is made for them, or is only one relay necessary. I will be getting a diode.

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #20
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/L.E.D_Lighting

Old September 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #21
Momaru

If you're buying the relay I think you are (from superbrightLEDs) it's already the one you want for an all-LED system, so no need to replace. I'm fairly sure the others will as well.