ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Crash Fighters Anonymous

Hello fellow Ninjette riders. My name is Bryan and I like crash fighters. You know the type of bike I mean. It's been dropped, got scarred up, broke some plastic. Now its rider doesn't fix it to stock for reasons of finances or preference. Now, judging from the flaming of these bike owners, it seems that no "sane" or "real rider" could possibly choose to leave their motorcycle incomplete. Well I am one of these "cheapskates". I lowsided my ninja earlier this year. I scraped and shattered part of my upper right fairing section. I still had all the chunks so I bought some plastic weld to glue it back together. It wasn't until I removed the fairing to fix my twisted forks that I realized, "Hey, my bike has nice bones!" Am I the only one who sincerely prefers the nonfactory naked look?
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

To each their own... As mentioned before... It is the master that chooses the bike, not the bike that chooses the master. If your's likes running around neekid more power to it!

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Yeah. I agree. Leave it sans fairings just to confuse all the folks that see you go by. I'd fix mine eventually but there is a certain Je ne sais quoi to riding around naked (one way or the other)
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I believe that that's one of the original motivations for "street fighter" conversions.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Streat fighters can be some good looking bikes if done right.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Were these done right?

SMITTY2.jpg cechie33.jpg

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #7
KJohnson21

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Oh yeah, there's some nice looking conversions and stock street fighters out there!

I'm just saying that I've heard more than one conversion story that started with, "The plastic costs HOW MUCH!?!"

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #8
KJohnson21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Were these done right?

Attachment 2092 Attachment 2091
Did they follow the instructions?

Old May 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM   #9
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

If I crashed one, I'd probably end up with a street fighter, just because I'm a cheapskate and that would offer a practical solution. What boggles my mind is when people make street fighters out of brand new bikes because they think it looks kewl. To each their own, but if my bike is intact I'll probably leave it that way.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM   #10
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Thanks for the kind words. Most people who see it and think dropped bike, cheap owner.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM   #11
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Did someone say, "Street fighter"?

It started after I lowsided on a mountain road. I bought GSXR race plastics, mounted lights to it, and ran that on the street for 7 months. I wanted something different, so I bought a set of handlebars, friend of mine donated the risers, and a short while later, I had a naked TL with dirt bike handlebars. The only difference in it from that pic to now, is that I bought some clip-on risers from woodcraft. Eventually I will do something with the headlight..but I am in no hurry.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #12
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel View Post
Did someone say, "Street fighter"?

It started after I lowsided on a mountain road. I bought GSXR race plastics, mounted lights to it, and ran that on the street for 7 months. I wanted something different, so I bought a set of handlebars, friend of mine donated the risers, and a short while later, I had a naked TL with dirt bike handlebars. The only difference in it from that pic to now, is that I bought some clip-on risers from woodcraft. Eventually I will do something with the headlight..but I am in no hurry.
That's a beauty.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #13
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

It's not a streetfighter if it does not have mechanical upgrades. If it doesn't have mechanical upgrades, it's just a crashed bike with no fairings.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM   #14
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb08 View Post
It's not a streetfighter if it does not have mechanical upgrades. If it doesn't have mechanical upgrades, it's just a crashed bike with no fairings.
Like what kind of mechanical upgrades? I can provide you with a few very nice examples of streetfighters that haven't had anything done to the engine.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #15
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb08 View Post
Streetfighters are cosmetic first and performance second. Cafe racers are what you described. They are stripped down to nakedness for weight savings and have mechanical upgrades for performance over looks.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:56 PM   #16
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

Name: jacob

Motorcycle(s): 1996 ninja 250

he got quiet after that last post lol

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #17
bob138
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Were these done right?

Attachment 2092 Attachment 2091
Those appear to be Rat bikes.

The technical difference is that a rat bike should really be called a Roach bike seeing as the idea is to just keep the thing running as cheap as possible. I've heard of guys filling in pitting in caliper pistons with JB weld in the name of savings on a rat bike. Farings crack, take them off. Tank rusted out, find something else to hold gas ect.

Fighters are modern day Cafe's. Strip weight and ride it fast and mean. Though fighter motivations does range from performance <-> Aesthetics.

On customfighters.com no one can give the same definition on what a fighter is. All that we seem to be able to agree on is that making the bike look/perform exactly how YOU want is the real important part. That makes the forum real fun because there is more of a "meh that's not my bag but it's cool that your happy" type of place. AND very little serious insults or questioning of why people do what they do.

Kind of like the difference between this forum and the sportbike forums.

BOb

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #18
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Any kind of fighter is ok with me, RIDE NAAAAKEEEEEED!!!!.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

This is not a streetfighter, or rat bike or home build, it's a Bohmerland, from Czechoslovakia, built from the twenties to just before the second world war.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attac...1&d=1242938940
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #21
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Ok, small history lesson coming up .......

The term Streetfighter was first used by staff writer 'Clink', (who still writes for BSH & Streetfighter mags), in an article in BSH in '87 or '89, (can't remember which, but I DO have the issue somewhere at home).
On the internet, if you research, the phrase is often attributed to Crazy 'Odge, (builder of the (in)famous pink Triumph drag bike, but he is quoted as saying that Steve Myatt, (then editor and founder of BSH), was the one who thought the phrase up first.
Now the shock horror bit for any of you youngsters, the bikes that were given the monicker back then, were hard tailed chops, not sports bikes!
In the UK, traditional long forked US style chops were not particularly practical, as we don't have long straight highways to ride on, and the Brit chop riders evolved their bikes with better handling and performance in mind. They were low, (a bit like US low-riders), with tuned up engines, and many were used at events like the Hell's Angels' Bulldog Bash on the drag strip.

Now, I stopped buying custom mags in around 1990, and started again in 2000, somewhere in between, the phrase became synonymous with stripped down sports bikes, someone else will have to fill-in that 10 year gap, as I haven't a clue what happened in the interim (Bit like that Woody Allen film where he wakes up after many years to find everythings changed!!).

Oh, and yesterday I bought the latest copy of Streetfighter mag, some bikes are built for the look with standard engines, others are tuned, (and often turboed) for maximum, and often insane, performance. The Laverda RGS fighter from South Africa on the cover is especially nice !

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:35 AM   #22
Tony B
ninjette.org member

And here's that pink Triumph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg odgies pink Triumph.jpg (23.9 KB, 6 views)

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM   #23
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

As Alex.s showed with his very small picture there are now at least one company that makes a line of bikes that they call "streetfighter".
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hmm... large photo attachments seem to be common for me... must be compensating for something

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #25
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post

As Alex.s showed with his very small picture there are now at least one company that makes a line of bikes that they call "streetfighter".
Yes, I love that old oxymoron, the 'factory custom' .....

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM   #26
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

I like the whole bobber( a true bobber is just a bike stripped to bare bones essentials, just clarifying), streetfighter, naked craze, i think they are practical because you don't have to waste time removing your fairings for service, they look more agresive and if you are smart, you can bring them back to stock covered when you are ready to resell it, unless you made a complete custom out of your bike. crash fighters are a great way to keep the bike running after other will declared it dead/ totaled, I like the aspect of bringing new life into something that everyone has decided is dead, I even plan to start a shop based on that philosophy in the near future.

LONG LIVE THE STREETFIGHTER(chopper or not)!!!

PS: drunk posting FTW!!!!.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #27
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post

PS: drunk posting FTW!!!!.
I've done that many a time Good luck with the idea for the shop.

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #28
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Thank you, my idea is to buy not badly crashed but road rashed bikes for a sensible price, fighter them and then sell them. I would also provide this service to the general public, only difference is they provide the bike. I am already in talks with several of my mechanic friends that are currently either unemployed or making ends meet from home. This might be our big chance, wish us luck.

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #29
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
It's been dropped, got scarred up, broke some plastic. Now its rider doesn't fix it to stock for reasons of finances or preference.
Definitely talking about a rat bike. The general rule being "who cares how it looks as long as it runs?" If you're running your bike without hte fairings cause they got busted then you're just riding naked. If you botched the fairings together and put htem back on it would be a rat bike.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote