ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #1
max384
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Heated Gear for 2008 Ninja 250r

I commute 50 miles daily on my 250, mostly highway. I plan to continue commuting through the winter as long as there isn't snow or ice on the road. However, in northeast Pennsylvania, that means braving some pretty cold weather. I wear leather overpants, a leather jacket with liner, SMX-5 boots, Cortech Scarab gloves, and a Schampa high neck dickie/neck gaiter. All that's really been unbearably cold has been my fingers, even with the winter gloves. So far, I've ridden down into the low twenties on my commute with no problems except for icicle fingers. I'm debating between heated grips or heated gloves. I may even decide to go for a heated vest and socks too as the weather gets colder.

My question is what's the max wattage my charging system can comfortably and safely handle? The only mods I've done with the electrical system is to put a 12V cigarette lighter style charging port in and I've replaced the rear turn signals with LED ones when I got rid of the rear fender. However, I added resisters instead of replacing the turn signal relay, so it is basically drawing the same power as an unmodified bike.

I posted this on another forum as well and had to clarify what information I was looking for, so I'll include this reply as well:

I plan on having the heated gear turned off when I start the engine since that draws a lot of power from the battery. However, a starter motor doesn't get it's power from the alternator; it gets it all from the battery and then the alternator charges the battery. I just wanted to find out how much power the bike is using while running running and how much power the alternator produces in order to figure out the amount of electrical power I have available for heating elements. I have read in a couple of places that the alternator on a 250 only puts out just under 200W. However, I haven't been able to confirm that.
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check out the DIY sticky thread at the top of this section.

DIY - What Electrical Items Can be Used and Not Overload the Battery?

GPS and heated clothing

I run a heated jacket liner (Gerbing) with no issues, and it keeps me mighty toasty.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
max384
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #4
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I use the Gerbing vest and glove liners via a dual controller. I also have wireless (rechargable) boot warmers, which last 8 hrs and are thermostatically controlled. I have ridden into the single digits (no snow or ice though).
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote