ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Renx30
ninjette.org member

Name: Ren

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja White SE

New Ninja 1 week old making Noise need input ?

Hi all

Purchased 2 new 2011 ninja 250s. One for me and for wife. Now the wifes ninja when its not even On.. Every now and then will make a noise . Best way to describe it lol would be like a squuezing a clowns toys. Honkkkk Not to loud and last about 1 seconds and can happen 3 times within 5 mins or not happen at all for 3 hours ?

The only thing i did was install frame sliders and had a hell of time doing it. So i wonder if i ended up doing something, Possible with the Hose thats hooked to Rad since i had to work around it for the frame sliders ?

The bikes has no problems and runs fine. Any ideas would be apreciated

Thanks
Renx30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #2
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renx30 View Post
Hi all

Purchased 2 new 2011 ninja 250s. One for me and for wife. Now the wifes ninja when its not even On.. Every now and then will make a noise . Best way to describe it lol would be like a squuezing a clowns toys. Honkkkk Not to loud and last about 1 seconds and can happen 3 times within 5 mins or not happen at all for 3 hours ?

The only thing i did was install frame sliders and had a hell of time doing it. So i wonder if i ended up doing something, Possible with the Hose thats hooked to Rad since i had to work around it for the frame sliders ?

The bikes has no problems and runs fine. Any ideas would be apreciated

Thanks
Is it kind of like a whiney noise? If so, no worries, your ninjette is just trying to talk to you Mine talks too sometimes when she's off...just wants to go out for a ride thats all.

aka

it's just pressure releasing from the gas tank

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

It's common with all our 250's for the gas tank to build up pressure and have said pressure released making a whining sound. This happens with mine all the time, next time u hear it, just open the gas cap to release the pressure and the noise should go away. Most members here think it's the way our 250's talk to us .

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Renx30
ninjette.org member

I thought it was the Gas tank as well. But the bike has 10km on it. Only drove it like 5 times. for 5 mins

It sounds like a Fart almost. Is this the gas tank issue lol ? Thanks for quick replies

I have already opened the gas tank a few times as well. But the noise happens so fast i dont have time to confirm if opening tank resolves it

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Live2ride

Quote:
I thought it was the Gas tank as well. But the bike has 10km on it. Only drove it like 5 times. for 5 mins

It sounds like a Fart almost. Is this the gas tank issue lol ? Thanks for quick replies

I have already opened the gas tank a few times as well. But the noise happens so fast i dont have time to confirm if opening tank resolves it
This all depends, are you talking about the high pitch left cheek sneak or the rumbling, deep toned whitey tighty ripper?

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Renx30
ninjette.org member

Imagine Honking a clowns Nose LMAP Honk !! hehe thats the sound

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Live2ride

Quote:
Imagine Honking a clowns Nose LMAP Honk !! hehe thats the sound
So, let me guess this right, you think...that a clowns nose...sounds like a fart.

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Renx30
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
So, let me guess this right, you think...that a clowns nose...sounds like a fart.
LOL If the Clown is chubby and Squeezing his Butt cheeks and its a Huge squealer that would be let out it could definitly duplicate the Sound i am ramdomly hearing from the bike which also sounds like honking a clowns nose haha

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

If the sound is coming from when it's off, I wouldnt worry much about it. It's the noises while it's running that make me nervous. Especially the grinding kind.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #10
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

That's how she lets me know she's lonely and wants to spend time together
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

The motors heat is rising and heating up the fuel in the gas tank, raising the pressure in the gas tank. hence the whistle.
Move the bike from a cool garage outside in the sun and within 5 min the sun will warm the fuel in the tank and the bike will whistle. without even starting it. NO BIG DEAL. There is a thread here to stop it.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #12
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

To save KKim the trouble: Your motorcycle is broken. He will take it for free for disposal, just crate it up and ship it to him
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Renx30
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im not sold on the fact that its the gas. Since like i said it has 10km on it and only been riding a few times for less then 10mins each time. Its in garage full time and hasnt been in the sun.

I have a feeling i messed something up when i was putting the frame sliders cause it didnt do that noise before lol

We have 2 ninja 250s and got em both same day mine and hers and Mine i havent done the frame sliders yet.. hehe a little bugged out about the weird noise

The bike is still under Full wanrantee so i guess until SHE NOTICES cause she hasnt yet i leave it at that : ) lol

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #14
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Name: Valerie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE White

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Im not sold on the fact that its the gas. Since like i said it has 10km on it and only been riding a few times for less then 10mins each time. Its in garage full time and hasnt been in the sun.

I have a feeling i messed something up when i was putting the frame sliders cause it didnt do that noise before lol

We have 2 ninja 250s and got em both same day mine and hers and Mine i havent done the frame sliders yet.. hehe a little bugged out about the weird noise

The bike is still under Full wanrantee so i guess until SHE NOTICES cause she hasnt yet i leave it at that : ) lol
No seriously - I'd listen to these guys. Our bike is doing the EXACT same thing. Sounds like a bullfrog. We just bought it in May & it's got 300 miles on it. My husband is the only who's ridden it so far and we like to joke that it's his mistress calling him out to the garage to take her for a ride. Seriously, the bike only makes the noise when he walks past it. Kinda creepy.
noob1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
No.... If your bike is making sounds that you feel are creating an unsafe riding condition, have it checked out. Especially when you can get it done for free.

We all know about the gas tank pressure sound. Your bike don't have to be in the sun for it to occur. I keep mine in the garage and it has done it since I filled the first tank at 2 miles on the od. I would assume that is your issue as well, but no sense taking chances. There is enough risks on the road without adding to them.

When it comes to riding.... take care of your machine, it will take care of you. Besides, you may learn something in the process.

What you don't know CAN hurt you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Renx30
ninjette.org member

Awesome thanks all.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27828

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
lol, I should go record mine. As another has pointed out, it happens almost every time I go in the garage with no intent to ride. It's like it knows....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #19
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
With no time to ride her on this beautiful day today, I walked past her in the garage and she whined at me a little bit. I then proceeded to pet the gas tank and say "there there baby, it'll be ok" then she whined again as if to throw a fit so I hopped on her saddle for a few moments and reassured her that come early monday morning we would be reunited once again as rider and ride-e. That did the trick.
reminded me of this post.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
... Im not sold on the fact that its the gas. Since like i said it has 10km on it and only been riding a few times for less then 10mins each time. Its in garage full time and hasnt been in the sun...
It's just the gas vapors in the tank expanding. It will do it even out of the sun. Mine does it all the time in the garage. The gas cap has a tiny vent with a tiny diaphragm in it, so it opens and closes on the amount of vapor pressure. Of course if you're still not sold on that, there are few videos and threads about the same noise. It is very common and highly documented. If you doubt it is the tank, leave the gas cap open after it has been ridden and see if it makes the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh9j-xa8gMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi-x_hyYYWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTb8...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIsMOF-9BfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6m1yGVzq1A

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-pictures.html
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37746
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...l-tank-101001/
http://www.ninja250forum.com/forum/i...p?topic=2721.0
http://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=770
http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/w...oise-6151.html
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote