ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM   #1
mikromo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1999 Honda VFR800, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250 (sold)

High rpm running

I've been riding my new to me Ninjette (2010) exclusively for this past week (got it Mon. night). It's been a ball, but also a learning experiance, as I've ridden only large displacement bikes for many years. So, on my morning comute, to keep up with traffic (or slightly ahead) I have to run about 75mph, or 9000 rpm. At times I'll hit 9500 rpm (in 6th). How far can you ride these things at that high of an rpm. When I tour, I like to cruise at approx 75 - 80 mph, super easy on my "big bikes" both which top out over 145mph easy. If I were to take, say a 250 mile trip on the Ninjette, am I risking fragging the motor at 9000 - 9500rpm for a long strech? It seems to be a great little bike but am I abusing it by thrashing it (constantly so far)? In my helmet it sounds really good shifting at 9500 to 10,500 in all the gears, and blipping down through the gears sounds awsome too ( I feel like "Ricky racer"). Hopefully, this weekend, I'll stop riding it long enough to give it a complete service, reinstall the rear brakes, and clean the bejesus out of it. If I'm on the road to harming the little Devil, I need to put it up and climb back on one of my road burners, but dang, I am really enjoying the novelty of small displacement. That being said, I think I'll take my VFR out today, and revel in HORSEPOWER. It should feel like a redstone rocket after a week on the 250.
mikromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
it likes to be abused. If you are overly concerned about high rpms look into changing your sprockets to decrease rpm in relation to mph

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:44 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Most of us who want a little relaxed highway experience, will install a 15t front sprocket and some even go farther and go 41t and 42t rears.

Otherwise they love the r's. Keep the oil changed and rack up the high rpm miles.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikromo View Post
.........How far can you ride these things at that high of an rpm............ If I were to take, say a 250 mile trip on the Ninjette, am I risking fragging the motor at 9000 - 9500rpm for a long strech? It seems to be a great little bike but am I abusing it by thrashing it (constantly so far)?............
No harm, Mike.

The 250 engine is very different from the other engines that you own (short piston travel, tight tolerances, peaky torque).
Actually, low rpms and high torque loads are bad for it, it was designed for rotating fast and free, so stay on the lower gears as much as you can...........and get used to the screaming.

I keep mine at 10K rpm for more than one hour in my daily commute and it has been a happy and healthy engine for 30K miles.

It is very important that you keep and eye on the level and quality of oil and coolant (some start consuming oil above 10K rpm, so take some oil with you for a long trip just in case; I have never had that problem with my engine).

Also important: keep an eye on the temperature of the coolant, if it reaches the red mark, shoot it down for a while because that can easily destroy the engine.

The rest: use only the recommended spark plugs, adjust valves sooner than later and keep that chain lubricated at all times (I do it after each tank fill up).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
mikromo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1999 Honda VFR800, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250 (sold)

No worries, I'm a maintenence freak, cause I do roll the miles up. Happy to know that I can wring this things neck, cause thats how I like to ride it. I DID ride the VFR today...... It felt MONDO powerful compared, but also heavy compared to the Ninjette. I DO likes me my HORSEPOWER though.....
mikromo is offline   Reply With Quote