ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #1
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

Name: Ujaas

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

lowsided yesterday.. no gear =(

met up with this kid from school yesterday and we started to ride together. we went on some difficult roads and i did fine.

we then went to route one and I was having a blast, it was around 4:30 so it was rush hour. We were still going around 65mph and the car in front of my friend braked suddenly, i had a dealyed reaction because I wasn't being 100% alert and bam I brake suddenly and fall on my right side.

it happened so fast.

i have gloves and a jacket at home but it was 100 degrees + yesterday so I was like screw it.

atleast my helmet was on properly. i have pretty bad road rash all over my right arm, right knee, both palms, left shoulder, and right abdomen

when i fell i didn't feel anything, i brought my bike up to the side of the road and rested it against the divider, but 30 seconds later maybe due to the rapid blood loss i felt like i was going to pass out, and had to sit down. i was so embarassed and my friend called the ambulance for me.

they took me to the hospital and about 30 mins later gave me some morphine for the pain which didnt do ****

i consider my self really lucky for surviving but also very stupid.

how long do you think will it take for the road rash to heal?

i'll try to get some pics

Last futzed with by UjaasG35; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:07 PM.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It will take longer than you think to heal up to where it doesn't hurt. Plus you will most likely have scars the rest of your life from it. Hope you learned your lesson from this and won't let that happen again. Glad you're alive and well enough to tell your story.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:43 AM   #3
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Don't know how long it'll take for your rash to heal, but this is the little patch of rash I received on a low-side on Memorial Day weekend this past May, no doctor's visits, just Neosporin as a treatment:

It took over a month to completely heal and I've still got a dark pink scar there. Given this, I'd bet yours will take much longer to heal.

Not going to lecture you or get on any ATGATT high-horse but please seriously consider that if it's too warm for you to gear up then maybe reconsider going for any real lengthy rides. Your family/friends will thank you.

Best wishes with a quick recovery.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
SUX to learn things the hard way. :-( I'm sorry you were injured. Road rash, like burns, take quite a while to heal and usually scar. Speedy recovery!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I'll be the jerk...glad you're not dead...glad you fell...hope you learn something from this...that being ATGATT.

I see so many people ride without gear I just don't get it. I mean that's the first thing they teach you in the MSF course. Maybe the MSF course needs to start having their students jump off the motorcycle w/out any gear traveling 65 mph as part of their course.

Off topic but I love picking at my scabs! LOL!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Proving yet again that riding without gear doesn't hurt, CRASHING without gear does!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

don't ride on days you're gonna crash.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #8
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I'll be the jerk...glad you're not dead...glad you fell...hope you learn something from this...that being ATGATT.

I see so many people ride without gear I just don't get it. I mean that's the first thing they teach you in the MSF course. Maybe the MSF course needs to start having their students jump off the motorcycle w/out any gear traveling 65 mph as part of their course.

Off topic but I love picking at my scabs! LOL!
At my MSF, the instructors never said anything more about gear than what they were required to read from the book. Several of the instructors said that they wish there were no helmet law in our state, and when riding through a state that does not require one, they take the helmet off.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
they sound like idiots.
+1

Stupid instructor must ride a HD.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #10
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Hope you are feeling better....

There was a time on this forum when someone crashed for whatever reason...people would bark at them and become the "all mighty know it alls" (talking from experience as I have lowsided)- but now there's compassion.

I believe.... unlike others.... that crashing is part of riding a motorcycle.... eventually it is going to happen ......whether it is your fault, someone elses fault, the road's fault, the pothole's fault, the open man sewer's fault, the tire on your bike's fault, the oil on the road's fault, the crazy cager driving stupidly's fault, the rain's fault, the sleet's fault, the blinding sun's fault, the bee that enters your helmet's fault, the cager backing out of his/her driveway's fault, the target fixation's fault, the locking up the wheel's fault......but in the end it is part of riding a motorcycle....whether you like it or not. I know there are billions of people that haven't crashed- but this is my theory....my belief...my opinion and many will disagree or agree....it comes with the territory because of ALL the factors we have to deal with. We can control how we ride and the place we put ourselves in, but we cannot control ALL the other factors. And the list goes on and on and on.

If and when it does happen.....have the appropriate gear (like Kevin/Jeremy did when they lowsided) and learn from it.

Have a speedy recovery....let us know how you are doing. I still have chest pains when I take a deep breath after my lowside and that over a year ago. (Please no sympathy cards guys- it's much too late)

Last thing I always ask of people that have crashed...what could you have done to prevent this? This is where we get to learn.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM   #11
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Sorry to hear about your crash
Now, lets see some pics!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Adrian, I could not disagree more with your prior post. From its attitude, to what you think you learned from your crash, to the inevitability of having to crash to actually learn something.

A crash is a demonstration of bad judgment. There is no valid excuse for it, there is no explanation that makes everything OK, and doing so without gear is only further evidence that the rider isn't taking things seriously. Either they are ignorant of the risks, or they incorrectly choose to ignore the risks.

We all have free will and there's nobody on this forum or anywhere else that can "make" anyone choose anything other than what they prefer. But the whole point of this site is to make sure that people who choose to learn the proper way to go about this sport have an opportunity to do so.

There is no conflict between having empathy for people who have hurt themselves, and also thinking that they are completely clueless for having done so.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post

There was a time on this forum when someone crashed for whatever reason...people would bark at them and become the "all mighty know it alls" (talking from experience as I have lowsided)- but now there's compassion.

I believe.... unlike others.... that crashing is part of riding a motorcycle.... eventually it is going to happen ......whether it is your fault, someone elses fault, the road's fault, the pothole's fault, the open man sewer's fault, the tire on your bike's fault, the oil on the road's fault, the crazy cager driving stupidly's fault, the rain's fault, the sleet's fault, the blinding sun's fault, the bee that enters your helmet's fault, the cager backing out of his/her driveway's fault, the target fixation's fault, the locking up the wheel's fault......but in the end it is part of riding a motorcycle....whether you like it or not. I know there are billions of people that haven't crashed- but this is my theory....my belief...my opinion and many will disagree or agree....it comes with the territory because of ALL the factors we have to deal with. We can control how we ride and the place we put ourselves in, but we cannot control ALL the other factors. And the list goes on and on and on.

If and when it does happen.....have the appropriate gear (like Kevin/Jeremy did when they lowsided) and learn from it.

Have a speedy recovery....let us know how you are doing. I still have chest pains when I take a deep breath after my lowside and that over a year ago. (Please no sympathy cards guys- it's much too late)

Last thing I always ask of people that have crashed...what could you have done to prevent this? This is where we get to learn.
Though I agree crashing is part of learning (in a safe environment)...that's not the point we're trying to make.

It's what we can do to minimize injuries in hopes that it will allow us to continue to enjoy this sport. Duh!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #14
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Adrian, I could not disagree more with your prior post. From its attitude, to what you think you learned from your crash, to the inevitability of having to crash to actually learn something.

A crash is a demonstration of bad judgment. There is no valid excuse for it, there is no explanation that makes everything OK, and doing so without gear is only further evidence that the rider isn't taking things seriously. Either they are ignorant of the risks, or they incorrectly choose to ignore the risks.

We all have free will and there's nobody on this forum or anywhere else that can "make" anyone choose anything other than what they prefer. But the whole point of this site is to make sure that people who choose to learn the proper way to go about this sport have an opportunity to do so.

There is no conflict between having empathy for people who have hurt themselves, and also thinking that they are completely clueless for having done so.
Alex this is what's great about any GOOD Forum...we can agree and disagree with one another. We can offer our own insight and opinions about such matters and do it in a respectful way.

What I'm looking for with this gentleman that crashed is what he can teach me about his mistake. Lesson 1 = ATGATT. We all have our 2 cents, we all have our opinions based on prior history in life...so to agree or disagree is always welcomed. I think emphathy goes a long way...he knows he made a mistake...he feels the pain of it...he'll always remember....and so what can he teach this forum? Crashing enlightens one to just how serious motorcycle riding is.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM   #15
adri99an

Quote:
Though I agree crashing is part of learning (in a safe environment)...that's not the point we're trying to make.

It's what we can do to minimize injuries in hopes that it will allow us to continue to enjoy this sport. Duh!
Hence the respect part.....DUH!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Hence the respect part.....DUH!
I respect your "Duh!"ness!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM   #17
adri99an

The apple and the tree baby

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
The apple and the tree baby

The chicken or the egg.

BTW, your canyon carving is not respectful to others on the road.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #19
adri99an

The chicken!!!

I apologize to everyone I offended and disrepected as I carved the canyon

Butt dammittt it was too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
The chicken!!!
I agree.

Quote:
I apologize to everyone I offended and disrepected as I carved the canyon
Butt dammittt it was too much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Might just regret it even more as you lowside into oncoming traffic taking someone out or worst yet killing them in the process. But hey, you were just having fun, right?

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM   #21
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Couldn't one take riding into a "one day or ride at a time" type of mentality the way some recovering addicts do? I've been told more about crashing and dropping my bike by people I know than about how much fun I'm going to have in my bike. If all we hear about is that you're going to fall and crash eventually then that is all that some people think about. Granted I've done things way out of the norm for my friends and family from back home and I'm still alive and doing great while others haven't been as lucky.

While I'm not a recovering addict of any kind, I do take things one at a time and it has helped me become safe and responsible. Everytime I've gotten on my bike I isolate myself and my thoughts to just this one ride. I think about every situation coming and I don't look to the future as I'm riding. By that I mean I don't think about what I'm going to do when I get to my destination but more about how I'm going to get there after this turn, after this stop light, after this car, after this driveway, so on. Maybe that's a mentality that more people need to have instead. I don't think it's impossible to never drop your bike, like I don't think it's impossible to ever be in a crash. I know it's not likely but it can be done.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Crashing enlightens one to just how serious motorcycle riding is.
Only if one is willing to learn. You talk a good game Adrian, but with video after video of trying to go ever faster on the same public roads with jeans covered in electrical tape, words only go so far. (EDIT: I hadn't seen KC's post about pads under the jeans, if so, mea culpa) When we have group rides that 2 out of 3 riders crash on, yet it's swept under the rug of "it happens to everybody", there remains a gap between what people are saying and what people are doing.

This can be a life-changing hobby, for better or worse. It frustrates people to see others get hurt. It frustrates people who see riders needlessly risk their own safety. It frustrates people who see riders encourage others to do the same, even if by omission ("everyone's free to choose whatever is right for them and there are no wrong decisions").

I hope the OP recovers quickly, and I hope that he makes different gear choices if he stays in the sport. I hope that the next time someone is trying to figure out what's appropriate to do/wear/ride/behave on a ride, they have the information they need from places like this to make informed decisions.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM   #23
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:04 AM   #24
adri99an

For the record - it was duct tape "Gorilla" brand- so you know it is tough....(bad joke)

I hear you Alex....on the group rides issue...what you don't hear is my pep talk before the group ride and my actions during the group ride...so you can make judgements only from your perspective of "we went on a group ride and someone lowsided"....you do not see the before, in between and after. I cannot control riders and how they ride...especially all those that have lowsided have been BRAND new riders to some degree....so if you're blaming me for their mistakes...you're barking up the wrong tree....all I do is invite those to come out and ride some beautiful roads....and many have with me and have NOT lowsided...you only hear of the ones that have so makes me look like BAD...(I don't mind)

I take riding seriously....I'm working on finding pants that I want, but I keep running into comfort and style and so on....I'm very particular about pants and it's my own fault for getting so comfy in jeans....I tiried a few on and was like this sucks! I do wear icon knee gear under my jeans and the Icon vest...I have appropriate footwear, helmet, gloves, jacket and the #1 thing is that I ALWAYS think of my lowside when I ride...keeps me sane and focused...so if anyone would like to ship me a pair of riding pants that I can explore- I will pm you my address.

As for the public roads....it is not a good idea to do what I'm doing...flat out you are correct on that...I will not defend that one because there is no argument to it...except that I take it to the track....

BUT...just know that I do not attempt to go faster and faster....and that my goal is to look at my body position and learn from it. (probably shouldn't be doing this on public roads though)

Alex- if you'd like to talk more about the group rides and what happened- let me know...there's no "sweeping it under the rug"...ask away

Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #25
adri99an

Quote:
I agree.

Might just regret it even more as you lowside into oncoming traffic taking someone out or worst yet killing them in the process. But hey, you were just having fun, right?
The "fun" part was taken out of context...and yes.... touchet...it won't be any "fun"...I better not ride my moto anymore...because if it is not fun- why ride then??

You are my nemesis...Nemesis

This is turning out to be a great thread! I feakin' love it...so much learning going on!!!! I'm learning so much here everyone!!!!

Alex is opening up....we are resolving some past issues...

Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #26
dino74

Its easy to feeling invincible on the streets, even with a couple of minor accidents. You think worst case: some bruises, road rash, maybe a broken bone.

I went to see a friend of a friend last weekend. He is paralyzed from drifting in to oncoming traffic. Full gear, not speeding, not showboating, not a newbie. Just lost concentration. Its very sad seeing his atrophied legs, hearing how his life has changed.

You always hear, "take it to the track" but I know thats not an option for everyone.
If you are going to push it on the streets, at least:
1. Do a slow run looking for objects, road work, etc
2. No blind curves.
3. Good run off if you go down. Don't push the right hander unless you know for sure there are no oncoming cars.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
1. Do a slow run first
+1!

so many incidences could be avoided with a sighting lap

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #28
dino74

I should add that I'm not judging anyone. A year ago, I was trying to blast through blind corners, unfamiliar roads, etc. I'm just really thankful that I only had one accident on street and now I get my fill at the track.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM   #29
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

updated pics lol

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #30
dino74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UjaasG35 View Post
updated pics lol
OUCH!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
aw thats not even bad. did you learn your lesson?

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #32
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

i know how big of an idiot i am. so embarassing. most of my friends were against me getting a bike in the firstplace.

i hope i have the corage to ride next year or maybe ill wait til im more mature

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM   #33
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Prolly a good idea.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM   #34
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Holy crap...hope you heal up soon. That looks like it f***ing hurts

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
!!!!! Get well soon...

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #36
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

its really not bad just inconvenient as hell. but the daily cleaning stings like a mofo =/

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #37
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

dont feel sorry, just hope i can save a few ppl from my stupidity lol

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM   #38
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

AW I'M PRETTY SURE THAT HURTS LIKE HELL!!! D: REMINDS ME OF MY small road rash.... gawd... the pain... the agony... mine healed in 2 week, but I'm a fast healer.... anyway speedy recovery to you sir, and ride safe, I'm not even gonna point out that you need to gear up, cause I'm pretty sure you are gonna do that next time.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #39
UjaasG35
ninjette.org member

nah not yet they might prescrbe some 2mrrw. i just took 5mg of perk but i dont feel anything. never took pain killers b4

lol typing with one hand sucks

Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM   #40
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
The "fun" part was taken out of context...and yes.... touchet...it won't be any "fun"...I better not ride my moto anymore...because if it is not fun- why ride then??
You act as if you're the only one on the road.

Quote:
You are my nemesis...Nemesis
Come do CVMA and I'll show you who your true Nemesis is.

Closed Thread