ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Stands

How do you guys think these attach to the rear of the bike?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bik...pr_product_top

It says swing arm in the title, but it looks like spooled to me.

I'v never owned stands before and don't know anything about them.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

That particular rear stand will require spools installed on the swingarm. It technically is a swingarm stand (the way I understand the term, anyway) but it doesn't use the swingarm itself as the lifting point.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Alright that's what I was thinking thanks!

The 250 uses 10mm spools?

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
10mm x 1.25 spool
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Thanks! I'm glad I noticed that. Doing some work on my bike next week and just ordered those stands. I would have been annoyed if I realized I needed to get spools still.

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Thanks! I'm glad I noticed that. Doing some work on my bike next week and just ordered those stands. I would have been annoyed if I realized I needed to get spools still.
They are correct, I have those same stands and it requires the spools. It should end up looking like this in the air:

back by lithium_charles, on Flickr

Also, be careful when lifting the bike on the stands, the rear stand is solid after the bike is up, but its very...unforgiving...before hand. The only time I've ever dropped my bike was while raising it up on a stand, and I was using a much higher quality stand than this one. Also, in case its not obvious, never use the front stand without the rear stand.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Sweet, glad someone else has the same stands. Was worried they'd be too cheap.

Any tips for lifting the bike onto them or is it pretty simple?

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Sweet, glad someone else has the same stands. Was worried they'd be too cheap.

Any tips for lifting the bike onto them or is it pretty simple?
The way I do it is to use one hand holding the rear stand in position (with both spools in place, but the stand will be at an angle) while I slowly and carefully push the bike up with my body and other arm. As soon as both sets of wheels of the stand are flat on the ground with both spools resting in place (basically when the bike is about level) you just push down on the stand and it will lift it. After you do it a couple times it becomes second nature. If you have someone to help you its really easy, just have them sit on the bike to keep it level, put the stand under, and lift the bike and your done (if they are too heavy you can use your foot to push down on the stand). When taking it down, make sure the kickstand is down, be on the right side of the bike, have the handlebars all the way to the left, and slowly lower it on the stand and it should just gently fall onto the kickstand (and if for some reason it wants to gently fall to the right, you are there to coax it the other way.) For the front stand, once its on the rear stand its fairly simple and you don't have to worry about the bike falling. Like I said before, after its up its pretty solid, I've even moved my bike all over my garage while on the rear stand and I've never worried about it falling.

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Surprised they don't use paddles to lift the rear considering that they are described as being compatible with "all" bikes.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the tips!

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #11
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
For the front stand, once its on the rear stand its fairly simple and you don't have to worry about the bike falling.
Really?

I have exactly the same stands, and would definitely recommend being just as careful for the front stand. Yes, even if the bike falls from you using it wrong, it will not fall off the rear stand, but you can definitely mess it up and have the stand get stuck in your front tire.

Make sure you have the correct placement, and it will go over without a hitch
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've had the bike fall off a rear stand, so don't "set and forget" it. I've found my axle super tight on more than one occasion where the amount or torque required was enough to lift the entire bike. Last night, the bike was tilting off the stand when I was removing the oil drain plug and filter.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

That's a spool rear & standard fork front.

Best way to lift it is have someone hold the bike upright & pull the front brake while you position the hooks under the spools & push down, ALWAYS do the rear first then the front, if you do the front first then you're more likely to drop it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #14
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Really?

I have exactly the same stands, and would definitely recommend being just as careful for the front stand. Yes, even if the bike falls from you using it wrong, it will not fall off the rear stand, but you can definitely mess it up and have the stand get stuck in your front tire.

Make sure you have the correct placement, and it will go over without a hitch
I guess I should have clarified better, I meant that you don't have to worry about the bike falling over, which is usually my main concern. I didn't mean to make it sound as if you shouldn't be careful with it. With that said, I have had it fall off the front stand once and it was pretty uneventful (it only lifts it about an inch), but I am much more careful when the front tire is off.

Quote:
I've had the bike fall off a rear stand, so don't "set and forget" it. I've found my axle super tight on more than one occasion where the amount or torque required was enough to lift the entire bike. Last night, the bike was tilting off the stand when I was removing the oil drain plug and filter.
I've always found it good practice to loosen any torqued bolts prior to lifting the bike, such as with a car and changing a tire. I always assumed this was the accepted way of doing things. I do agree though, if you are actually trying to drop your bike it is definitely possible, but otherwise from my experience I've found these stands to be very solid while in use.