ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #41
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

I find some new riders sometimes like being very aggressive on the inside peg (climbing to much too the inside of the bike), meaning your changing the centre of balance of the bike too much creating a sharper turn angle than required. If you notice your very heavy on the inside peg (please notice I said IF) your probably guilty of a bad centre of balance for the turn.

Even pressure on the pegs (think of not having a seat) and work the upper body more than the bottom. A lot of roads require continuous small adjusts through corners to maintain the turn angle required, without a stable bottom half it's hard to maintain and adjust with the top half.

This may be totally unrelated to your case though and you just may be too aggressive with your upper body (centre of balance), keep turning, your body will catch up ...

Just remember, work the bike, don't let it work you.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #42
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Hey everyone!! It seems like when I am taking turns I always lean in a little too hard and end up having to straighten out when I get midway through the turn. I like carving corners but I don't do it at like 90mph. I'm thinking I need to roll on the throttle more as I hit the apex, but I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong. It feels good going into the turn, just not good coming out. I try to follow my lines, high in - high out and hit the apex, but like I said I end up having to back off a little to keep from taking the corner too tight. Any suggestions? Besides go read a book...
For the street, I use a delayed apex (late turn in) riding style. This will maximize your vision through the corner and help you establish a line that will allow for good a good throttle roll and minimize steering corrections.

If you still have steering corrections one or more of the following could be off;
entry speed
turn in point
line selection
throttle control
body position
bike setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
i got a turning question as well...

how about a long left turn that tightens up later on? there is this one stretch of road that i rode. it is a two-lane road on a decline. it is a moderate arc that turns left, but halfway down the hill, unexpectedly tightened up. when i hit it that section of road, i was going at about 50-60 mph so i was afraid to get off of the throttle. my line was messed up and i was barely able to stay within my lane. i am just glad that there was no one in the lane next to me.

are there any easy techniques for that sort of condition? thanks in advance.
On the street, especially on an unknown road, slow down and leave some extra throttle roll, lean and skill left to handle the unexpected. Basically... never out drive your vision. If your up for something more advanced, look up the hook-turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
can anyone explain this alittle?
Get your rear shock set. It's one of the best free mods you can do to improve the cornering performance of the ninja. Setting it is really easy too. Like nearly all motorcycles, the rear shock works best in its mid-stroke range while in motion. Use your spanner and turn that adjuster till you find that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I don't think so, but remember I am new at this so I am not too sure what this has to do with it. I am not trying to be a smart*&* about it, I am just don't understand, so please do not be offended.
Don't worry about weighting pegs if your new. Just worry about finding your riding position on the bike that gets your legs & torso supporting your body weight (not your arms).
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #43
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I understand R1chronicles -- I don't think I put too much weight on my pegs, but then again, I have not really paid too much attention to them while making a curve or turn. I will try to notice when I ride next time and try to correct that. I do know that I have been hugging my gas tank with my legs alot more lately due to the fact that it seems to be helping with my butt "comfort" but also around curves and that has helped alot. I have also relaxed my shoulders and arms due to the strong gust of wind that blew me off the road and I failed to countersteer enough to correct it. So now I am tucking more to correct that and using my tank and knees to help me countersteer. Now I am just having to get my speed back up since I am still nervous with a strong gust of wind. I know the importance of "getting back on the horse", I so want to ride -- I realize it will take a little time to get my nerve back.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #44
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I like the "delayed apex approach" csmith, I will try that. I know initially I did have the entry speed issue, but I have overcome that. I try to look at the posted speed limit and stay around that due to traffic. My leaning is much better than before - again I feel it is due to experience, but I have been practicing. I am not sure what you mean about bike set-up????? I have a better line set-up. Body position?? I just go with the bike, is that right? I don't overcompensate turns or curves. I throttle up right past the middle of the curve near as I am exiting. Does this make sense?

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #45
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

An awesome post by Motofool on another thread.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #46
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Thank you for posting this R1Chronicles, I am going to try one exercise tonight and see how I do on the curves. I can use all the help I can get, I really appreciate it!!!

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:01 AM   #47
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
I have (still working on it) a problem with early apexing in my simulation racing. Being eager not to overrun the turn, I turn in early.

The effect is just as TN described; if I followed the natural line of the corner I'd chosen, I'd end up inside the turn. The corrections (in a car) would be throttle (to slide out a bit more) or straighten (not using the whole turning circle). Either way, slower than entering the turn later.

In the above corner #1, you can actually brake later and turn in later (not the (X) but a point deeper and a bit to its right, 'cause the apex you want to hit is not the one in the diagram but a point roughly where the line pointing from "Must Roll-off or Run-off" crosses the inside curb.

Of course if you haven't been down that road, better to slow way down and not be surprised by the decreasing radius turn. I have definitely not experimented much with trailbraking on two wheels! (and I probably won't until I have better gear and a track to work on, not a street road)
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM   #48
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I think I know most of my problem has been with curves and turns -- COUNTERSTEERING!!!!! Since I have been practicing my curves are really getting to be much easier and I am able to start enjoying them more. I have been guilty of actually "turning" my handlebars in a turn and not countersteering which is why I was so uneasy and unable to feel confident, can't imagine why - duh?????

Anyway my husband couldn't believe it when I was explaining to him how I was actually going thru my curves, poor guy he really has his plate full with me We went on a ride last night and I countersteered thru a curve that is sort of tight and it was no problem. Awkward at first since I wanted to physically turn the handlbars completely but then it happend -- I SAW THE LIGHT - countersteer, yes countersteer, I got it now

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #49
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
I think I know most of my problem has been with curves and turns -- COUNTERSTEERING!!!!! Since I have been practicing my curves are really getting to be much easier and I am able to start enjoying them more. I have been guilty of actually "turning" my handlebars in a turn and not countersteering which is why I was so uneasy and unable to feel confident, can't imagine why - duh?????

Anyway my husband couldn't believe it when I was explaining to him how I was actually going thru my curves, poor guy he really has his plate full with me We went on a ride last night and I countersteered thru a curve that is sort of tight and it was no problem. Awkward at first since I wanted to physically turn the handlbars completely but then it happend -- I SAW THE LIGHT - countersteer, yes countersteer, I got it now
Unless you're turning at 10mph you are already countersteering, it's just not registering mentally.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #50
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gratz Malinda! You are on a better path to being able to accurately steer with confidence!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #51
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
Unless you're turning at 10mph you are already countersteering, it's just not registering mentally.
MentallY???? The folks here let me out to play without my white jacket on
I mean, yes I understand,lol RedOctober.

Csmith12, I am feeling better and building my confidence back

Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #52
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Quote:
MentallY???? The folks here let me out to play without my white jacket on
I mean, yes I understand,lol RedOctober.

Csmith12, I am feeling better and building my confidence back
The way your going about it, you will end up a better rider than most, nicely done.