ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #1
jasonz1c
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 - Green

Front brake lever stiffer after heavy braking

Hello!

Well yesterday I was riding and decided to practice emergency braking. After two runs from 40mph, my front brake lever feels a lot heavier and stiffer than before.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? I prefer the front brake as it was before. It used to be lighter and I could pull in the brake further.

Thank you!
jasonz1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Honestly, it sounds like it's better to me. Are they relatively new rotor or brake pads?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
jasonz1c
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 - Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Honestly, it sounds like it's better to me. Are they relatively new rotor or brake pads?
The rotor is factory however the front brake pad is only 1800 miles worn in.

Could it be an issue with brake fluid?
jasonz1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Typically, the hotter you get the brakes, the worse they feel. From your post, you seem to be experiencing the opposite.

When I redid the pads on my r6, I didn't do a good job bleeding them. I still had air in the lines when I arrived at the track. A few sessions later I had great brakes. They got hot... The next day, I could feel they had returned to being somewhat mushy. Check yours again after allowing them to cool off. Possibly from your ebrake practice, you got them hotter than you normally would. So I would suspect, they will return to the old feel.

Either way, sounds like you might need to inspect/bleed them well just to be sure.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz1c View Post
..........After two runs from 40mph, my front brake lever feels a lot heavier and stiffer than before................
Is it only harder to squeeze, or has less movement, or the pads keep putting pressure on the disc?

Something may be wrong, probably in the master cylinder or in the fluid itself.

Normally, you squeeze it, the lever pushes the plunger, which pumps fluid down into the caliper which pushes the pads against the disc.

When you liberate the lever, an internal spring pushes the plunger out, which sucks fluid up from the caliper which retrieves the pads from the disc.

There is also a relieve hole in the master cylinder for returning fluid back to the reservoir.
If that one gets plugged, the pads don't come back.

If only happens when the pads are hot, then you may have humidity in the fluid, which becomes steam and acts like you are pressing the lever.

For all the above, it is important that you check if it is temperature-dependent, if the pads are dragging and if the pivot of the lever is properly lubricated (to move freely).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This happens to me too a little bit. It means you have a tiny bit of air or water or something in your lines. A perfect bleed wouldn't have this issue.

My solution is to just give the brake lever a good hard squeeze or two at the beginning of each ride before I take off for the first time. Gives me proper brake lever feel for every ride
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote