ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 16th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Thoughts on these gloves ?

So, for the past two days I have been debating on either getting a Scorpion SGS Gloves for $79.95 from RevZilla.com OR Scorpion Klaw II Gloves for $49.95.

I'll be getting the color black to try to match my Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket.

I don't know if I should go an extra $30 for a little more, or just go with the cheaper ones. Both have good reviews on them. LOL, this is pretty difficult shopping for a gear. So many choices. I want Scorpion, because I have a Scorpion Exo-500 Helmet & I like their quality.

SO, please help !

Here are the links:

Scorpion SGS Gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-sgs-gloves

Scorpion Klaw II Gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...klaw-ii-gloves

Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...nt-mesh-jacket
peteypetepeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #2
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
How important are your fingers or hands? I HIGHLY recommend gauntlet gloves, as they give you better protection overall than short gloves. In a crash, short gloves can come off easily. Although, those gloves are better than nothing, you might want to rethink those gloves.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...iolator-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...ightning-glove

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

Definitely get gauntlets if you don't have any. The only time I wear short gloves is when I'm staying in the city, which has a 30mph speed limit.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

+1 to gauntlet style gloves
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
A bit over your budget but my "daily rider" gloves are HELD Phantoms, they're more expensive but they're extremely comfortable and have great 'feel' (kangaroo leather can be thinner without losing strength). Those are a bit more expensive though, and even the cheapest helds are at $100. Still, how much do you like your hands?
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I highly recommend trying on gloves before purchasing (same belief for helmets and boots). Do you have long, thin fingers? Or oompa loompa fingers? What kind of fingers do the gloves have? Gauntleted gloves do offer more protection. Yet you're going to be wearing them with a mesh jacket. Are these winter gloves? 3-season gloves? Hotter-than-blazes summer gloves?

For extreme heat wear (don't get that often in the Seattle area), I go for short-to-no gauntlet gloves. All other conditions, I prefer gauntleted gloves.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #8
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Well, to sort of answer everyone of why I want short cuffed gloves, because I usually don't like riding in the cold. & in my area, the HEAT KILLS. Gets so hot. So, most of my riding is only spring, summer & fall, BUT only on the warm nice days. Haha, also the most important part... I don't know if I can have a gauntlet over my jacket sleeve or if it'll get in the way. I don't know know, I'm just not fond of the gauntlet. UNLESS you guys can convince me with some decent priced ones on RevZilla.com. I have $20 of their RevZilla Cash I earn. So that $49.95 glove would only be $29.95, which is a steal to me !

Old March 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #9
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypetepeep View Post
Well, to sort of answer everyone of why I want short cuffed gloves, because I usually don't like riding in the cold. & in my area, the HEAT KILLS. Gets so hot. So, most of my riding is only spring, summer & fall, BUT only on the warm nice days. Haha, also the most important part... I don't know if I can have a gauntlet over my jacket sleeve or if it'll get in the way. I don't know know, I'm just not fond of the gauntlet. UNLESS you guys can convince me with some decent priced ones on RevZilla.com. I have $20 of their RevZilla Cash I earn. So that $49.95 glove would only be $29.95, which is a steal to me !
If you crash with those gloves on, see how easy it would be to write a check for $29.95.

The gauntlet goes over your jacket and is perfectly comfortable. They're not hotter than short gloves either. Even though it's gotta get blistering in PA
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #10
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
If you crash with those gloves on, see how easy it would be to write a check for $29.95.

The gauntlet goes over your jacket and is perfectly comfortable. They're not hotter than short gloves either. Even though it's gotta get blistering in PA
yeah, you're right. i might just go with gauntlets instead. just need to find a nice pair. any suggestions ?

Old March 16th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm tempted on those teknic violator gloves that alex.s linked. according to the size chart the s may work though it may be a little tight.

Go for whatever works for you, gauntlet gloves will protect you a lot more than short gloves but depending on how much money you have to spend you may need to get short gloves and then upgrade later on. personally I wear the scorpion klaw II gloves and they're fine for me but I intend to upgrade to gauntlet gloves this spring.

The gloves that I'm looking into upgrading to
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...uardian-gloves
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #12
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I'm tempted on those teknic violator gloves that alex.s linked. according to the size chart the s may work though it may be a little tight.

Go for whatever works for you, gauntlet gloves will protect you a lot more than short gloves but depending on how much money you have to spend you may need to get short gloves and then upgrade later on. personally I wear the scorpion klaw II gloves and they're fine for me but I intend to upgrade to gauntlet gloves this spring.

The gloves that I'm looking into upgrading to
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...uardian-gloves
lol, I was actually just looking at those. I might get the black so it matches my jacket, but the two tone black & white looks nice !

Old March 16th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
scorpion gear has been consistently high quality for the money to me so I have no doubt that the gloves will be good.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #14
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Quote:
scorpion gear has been consistently high quality for the money to me so I have no doubt that the gloves will be good.
I was also looking at this pair.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-sg3-gloves

Lol, the gauntlet look is growing on to me.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
how much "high quality" gear have you used?

Old March 17th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #16
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

50% off the Teknic Violator gloves...rly good gloves for a ridiculously low price.

definitely get those D:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...iolator-gloves
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how much "high quality" gear have you used?
not much, but I was talking from personal experience. I have never had any problems with my helmet/gloves/jacket from scorpion. They're comfortable, have held up well (i.e. no bad stitching) and although I have not crash tested them I do believe that they'll do the job that they were designed to do in that scenario. I don't have tons of money to throw at full dianese or A* and for the money I believe scorpion stuff to be a great deal. Is it the best? I doubt it but it is the best that I can afford at the time.

Old March 17th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #18
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

Well those Teknics looked good enough to buy a pair but all out of stock now
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #19
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

If you keep an eye out on ebay, you can find held gloves quite reasonably priced used in your price range.
They really are worth what you pay for a pair of their gloves.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #20
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

While I have never fallen off of a motorcycle, I have fallen while traveling roughly 35 mph on a longboard, wearing very little protective gear. The gear I had on... slide gloves... dramatically reduced my injuries to my entire body as I was able to put my hand on the ground and trust that the gloves wouldn't wear through. That experience drives my desire for good motorcycle gloves.

Personally, what I look for in a glove, is good padding on the outside of the hand, protection for your wrist, and something very durable on the palm. In a low-side, the outside of your hand will very likely hit the ground. Padding here is typical in motorcycle gloves, but double check, the gloves that came with my bike didn't have any. Your wrists are very complicated, like your ankle. Injuries to your wrist will last a life time, protect them. This generally results in longer cuff or full gauntlet style gloves.

And lastly, something that I think a lot of people over-look, is palm protection. there are motorcycle gloves out there with palm sliders, my next pair of gloves will most certainly have them. In a situation where you have time to react, your body will instinctively throw your hands to the ground to protect your face and cushion the blow of your head to the ground. This will result in your palms directly on the ground. Sure, leather palms are great, but they will certainly rip with large forces and extended dragging. You won't feel that until after all the damage is done. Get something with a slider (kevlar or plastic/epoxy) on your palm. You do the same on the other pointy surfaces of your body (feet, elbows, knees, shoulders, etc.) don't neglect your hands.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #21
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

ok, i'm convinced & decided. I will be going with a gauntlet. this will be my first pair of gloves. so, if i need to i will upgrade for a better one when i have money saved. i'm still in the process of buying all my gear. only have a jacket and helmet right now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #22
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11023
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #23
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
I agree it's good quality for the money, thought it's not what I'd choose if I had a career that actually paid well. I'm loyal to Scorpion helmets and they have seen me through, um, one or two crashes. I also love the Everclear shield that is anti-fog.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Get close out race gloves .
Won't cost you much more, will save you so much more!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
ok, i'm convinced & decided. I will be going with a gauntlet. this will be my first pair of gloves. so, if i need to i will upgrade for a better one when i have money saved. i'm still in the process of buying all my gear. only have a jacket and helmet right now.

I'm still in the process to... Finally bout to pop on a 1piece!
Word to the wise... Do the best you can with what you have! Look at close outs and check Greg'slist and eBay, shop around, get the best protection you can up front, will save your closet having some extra things you wish you never got. I coulda got my suit instead of 2 coats, 2 helmets, 2 gloves, 1 pant, 2 pair of boots... Shoulda got 1 suit, 1 helmet, 1 gloves, 1 boots... Shoulda, coulda, woulda, I lived an learned.

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #26
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I'm still in the process to... Finally bout to pop on a 1piece!
Word to the wise... Do the best you can with what you have! Look at close outs and check Greg'slist and eBay, shop around, get the best protection you can up front, will save your closet having some extra things you wish you never got. I coulda got my suit instead of 2 coats, 2 helmets, 2 gloves, 1 pant, 2 pair of boots... Shoulda got 1 suit, 1 helmet, 1 gloves, 1 boots... Shoulda, coulda, woulda, I lived an learned.
HAHA, true true. But THANK GOD, my younger brother who will get his license soon enough will take my gear, by then I should have enough money. I can probably just sell it to him ! Aha.

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #27
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Plus if you ever decide to go to the track (which you should at some point), you won't have to buy another set of gloves now

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #28
peteypetepeep
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
Plus if you ever decide to go to the track (which you should at some point), you won't have to buy another set of gloves now
Yeah, I'm planning to head to the track with my uncle before the end of the riding season. Though I hear you're required full race suit, boots, helmet & gauntlets.

Old March 17th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #29
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yeah, I'm planning to head to the track with my uncle before the end of the riding season. Though I hear you're required full race suit, boots, helmet & gauntlets.
Yep. Most TD orgs allow you rent gear though, so it's a cheaper in if you want to just try it.

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #30
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Haha I hate riding withou gear... Gives me the willies

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Go ahead.... try it.... It's like a drug, one hit and your hooked. Second the MSF, there isn't much paper better spent.

If your an odd size, might be a good idea to call ahead of time to ensure sizing availability.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #32
Josh_kcco
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R

+1
Scorpion SGS Gloves
Josh_kcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #33
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-racing-gloves

I've got some of these and I like them. I've never had any more expensive gloves so I can't compare. I went through two pairs of shorty gloves, and my first pair of gauntlet gloves (fieldsheer apex 2.0), before arriving at the gpr's as my regular go to riding gloves. The Fieldsheers were comfortable and seemed protective, but after reading up I wanted something with more protection on the palm than just leather.

I like those Scorpion SG3's too though. I didn't see them when I was shopping around.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #34
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Go ahead.... try it.... It's like a drug, one hit and your hooked. Second the MSF, there isn't much paper better spent.

If your an odd size, might be a good idea to call ahead of time to ensure sizing availability.
another benefit it's cheaper than speeding tickets for doing the same kinds of speeds on public roads. got marked down to 375 for my last ticket through sheer dumb luck. not including gear/tires an actual track day is much cheaper than that.
One idea that's particularly effective if you like "canyon carving" too is to get all the gear so that you can wear it on the streets as well, you need protection every bit as much on the streets as you do on a track.
third on MSF, they run you through everything that you need to know before you turn the key. That information, though it may seem a bit dull at the time, saves lives.