Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
nvxdiz
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R C.T. Blue

Thank you Horn!

On Golf Rd. in Morton Grove, IL

Going about 50 mph on the left lane of a 2 lane street w/ some heavy oncoming traffic.

I caught a glimpse of a speeding elantra on my right side through the side view mirror then I begin looking straight ahead again. I think, she's going fast enough, I'll let her pass me.

Before I know it, I'm in her blind spot and she's already in the action of merging onto my lane heading right towards me. In my head I'm thinking what the f*ck is this person thinking.

She's already about 1-2 ft. inside the yellow dotted lines in my lane. There's no way I could've applied the brakes fast enough without losing control/flipping over. Going towards the oncoming traffic was just asking for it.

Then as fast as I could find the Horn button, I pressed that button like there's no tomorrow. Thankfully her senses were good enough to hear that and realize that completing her action would have been very consequential.

Then she realized how much of an idiot she was and slowed down and waited for me to be way ahead of her before finally changing lanes.

All that took place in just a few seconds.

TLDR: close call, reacted correctly in a oh sh*t situation, and still riding safely.
nvxdiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Just don't completely depend on your horn, I've had quite a few people just shrug it off, never pay attention to it, or give me a stupid look even though they almost hit me. I laid on my horn one time when this camry all of sudden jerked into my lane to get to a turn he was going to miss; he did not even care and if he looked out of his window he would have seen my bike easily. Narrowly made it away from him...Camry drivers seem to hate my bike or they generally suck at driving...

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #4
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

glad the situation turned out ok

i'd love a louder horn though, MUCH louder
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
try this bad boy instead
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Lucky! Some people don't even hear my cars horn when they cut me off. Don't depend on that horn to save you again.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've had drivers completely ignore my horn and run me out of my lane then continue to change lanes without signaling and STILL never hear my horn.

In one case, I followed the driver to her destination just to let her know that she had almost killed me and was completely oblivious to it. She did it many more times and she only heard my horn once (started changing lanes without signalling, snapped back into her lane and wondered why someone honked, then changed lanes without signalling AGAIN). While she honestly didn't see me, not signalling compounds the problem and reduces the information I need to make judgements. It was clear that she would have gone on doing it if I didn't point out the problem it almost caused.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxdiz View Post
.....In my head I'm thinking what the f*ck is this person thinking........Then as fast as I could find the Horn button, I pressed that button like there's no tomorrow.......There's no way I could've applied the brakes fast enough without losing control/flipping over.
You wasted precious fractions of seconds while thinking and pressing that button.

Yes, you could have applied the brakes effectively enough to slow your bike down and to create space to get out of her way.

However, if you didn't practice emergency braking in a safe environment and enough times, you would have probably fallen.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Do not rely on the horn, your bike's advantage is maneuverability.

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You wasted precious fractions of seconds while thinking and pressing that button.

Yes, you could have applied the brakes effectively enough to slow your bike down and to create space to get out of her way.

However, if you didn't practice emergency braking in a safe environment and enough times, you would have probably fallen.
Took the words right out of my brain.

Old October 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Similar situation, similar reaction (forward to 0:28):

Link to original page on YouTube.

Note that this rider is consistently going too fast for the conditions, running into potentially dangerous situations..........and yelling !

Most of the dangerous situations take several seconds of development; they become an accident when we just become aware of it in the last two seconds.

Those two seconds can or not save our bacon, but they need all our concentration and the use of the proper riding skill or evasive maneuver.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I prefer to use the rev-limiter as a 'warning' or after someone does something stupid (no, I don't WOT with the clutch in instead of using the correct avoidance maneuver first). Way louder than the puny ninjette horn.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote