ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 31st, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Talking DIY motorcycle fork headlight bracket clamps

credit goes to Custom Fighters. I also found another DIY at Do The Ton but did not feel like spending the extra time on it to make.

This will work great for all those cafe racers and streetfighter projects.

My HID retrofit did not work with the chinese headlight brackets I bought off Ebay so I needed to make longer ones to clear the backside.

I couldn't find my mini bench vise nor my C clamp so resorted to more primitive methods.

Tools you will need:
  • Channel locks or large pliers
  • vise grip or adjustable wrench
  • Large rubber mallet or hammer
  • A socket or pipe a few mm smaller than the diameter you're clamping it too
  • aluminum flat stock or whatever you intend to use (can be found easily at your local hardware store)
  • mounting hardware (nuts, bolts, lockwashers, washers, etc)
  • Drill

1. figure out how long you need the bend to be so you can clamp the ends together. I made the clamping end longer than needed since I was doing this by hand and needed extra leverage.
  2. Get your pipe or socket and clamp it to the flat stock with your vise grip/wrench. This prevents the socket from sliding away from the bend producing a truer round=more clamping surface area. The smaller diameter pipe/socket is used because you will need to open the clamp up and the smaller diameter will hold the round shape better and also the flat stock will have the tendency to reflect back and not hold its shape.
  3. Place on a flat working surface and bend the end over the socket/pipe. It does not need to go all the way around since you need to be able to wrap it around the fork. You can use some channel locks or large pliers for more control to bend it around instead of the hammer method. If you opt for the pliers method, use a rag so the teeth doesn't mar the surface of the bracket if you're anal.
  4. Holes to clamp the bracket to the forks: Measure about at least an inch away from the outside diameter of the pipe and drill.
  5. cut ends to length after you have figure how long you need the bracket to be for clearance of the headlight.
  6. Optional paint.

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; March 31st, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 4th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote