ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Milanista
ninjette.org member

Name: Ali

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

How would I hang my helmet on the ninja?

So Yesterday I rode my bike to school and had to walk to classes carrying my helmet. What really trigged me to think I never saw a biker walk with his/her helmet before. I wonder what is best way to do it? and is it really safe to leave it on the bike?

Last futzed with by Milanista; March 1st, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Milanista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Take off the pillion seat, there is a hook for a double D ring helmet on each side, it looks like a rectangle with a circular bite taken out of it. hook one of the D rings onto it, put the seat back on & click it into place. It's locked

Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ this.

I personally wouldn't leave it, weather, theft and other such factors. No lockers at your school?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

When I'm at school, I take my helmet with me and just set it under the seat of the desk I sit at or on the desk if I'm at a large desk or workstation, etc. Couple reasons for that, it's faster when I get there and leave, I don't have to about rain and having a soaked helmet when I get out of class, no bird poo or other things, not giving people temptation to prank my helmet, or having someone cut the strap and walking away with my helmet (doesn't matter if you have a $100 Bilt or HJC or a $500 Arai or Shoei, you will be upset with yourself if it gets stolen because you left it on the bike).
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

The problem is that people are....well, just petty and hateful. They'll cut the strap with no regard to the fact that the helmet is ruined. They'll do it just to do it. They may even cut it down and leave the helmet there.

I guess it goes without saying that I take mine inside with me.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I remember someone else posting on here a while ago that someone had cut the strap from his helmet and taken it leaving him stranded where he was because it was illegal to ride without a helmet.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I see alot of harley guys just hang their helmet on the handlebars. But then again their helmets cost $20 and aren't even worth stealing
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I see alot of harley guys just hang their helmet on the handlebars. But then again their helmets cost $20 and aren't even worth stealing
First of all harley should be capitalized, as in Harley. Second, you are classifying all Harley riders as wearing $20 helmets. As we all know some don't wear helmets, some war expensive helmets and some do wear cheap helmets. You also forget to add that a new Harley can cost as much as 10 Ninja 250s so it's not that they don't have the money to spring for an expensive lid.

Shame on you!

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
First of all harley should be capitalized, as in Harley. Second, you are classifying all Harley riders as wearing $20 helmets. As we all know some don't wear helmets, some war expensive helmets and some do wear cheap helmets. You also forget to add that a new Harley can cost as much as 10 Ninja 250s so it's not that they don't have the money to spring for an expensive lid.

Shame on you!
If you're going to be a grammer nazi you may want to check your spelling, you forgot the d in Hardley

Whilst you're at that Hardley can have 7 times the displacement, make 10 times the noise & twice the horsepower of a Ninja 250

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
The problem is that people are....well, just petty and hateful. They'll cut the strap with no regard to the fact that the helmet is ruined. They'll do it just to do it. They may even cut it down and leave the helmet there.

I guess it goes without saying that I take mine inside with me.
I think it just depends where you live. Here you don't have to worry about that. At the school I go to we have separate parking and I've seen people leave all of their gear on the bikes, even unlocked. I've never had an issue leaving my helmet with the bike, but the weather is predictable and no one really messes with the bikes. When I go to other places though I will definitely keep the helmet with me at all times.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Milanista
ninjette.org member

Cool Thank you guys very much I got a clear picture of what to do with the helmet..
This whole convo. is very useful for where I got adducted about helmets, Hardly prices, sound level and power and not to forget the spelling lesson as well lol.

I see many people at school just leave their helmets hanging on their bikes so it should be fine but I will never leave it unlocked cuz my general rule is that easy money is not my money. But for sure cool to know...

One more thing. is there a specific signals that bikers use for each other? yesterday two riders just waved two fingers so I would like to know more about the biking culture...

Old February 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #12
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
One more thing is there a specific signals that bikers use for each other yesterday two riders just waved two fingers so I would like to know more about the biking culture...
The 2 fingers is kind of like a salute to other bikers if you will, a form of acknowledgement. If you pay attention, if they can't give you the hand signal they will usually give you some other form of acknowledgement such as a nod. I always use the 2 fingers when I can but don't get yourself in an accident trying to fit in ;-)

Here is a fun article to read on the matter.
http://thetimerider.hubpages.com/hub...oWaveLikeADork

Last futzed with by lc86; February 29th, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added link

Old February 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Milanista
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
don't get yourself in an accident trying to fit in ;-)

Here is a fun article to read on the matter.
http://thetimerider.hubpages.com/hub...oWaveLikeADork
Hahaha sure i will be like hey then bam on my face or helmet face lol. by the way that article was great so are the responses below.
On thing though Hardly riders dont wave its sport bikes that have chemistry!!

Old February 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #14
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
Hahaha sure i will be like hey then bam on my face or helmet face lol
You laugh, but I'm serious. You would be amazed how many people pick the moment you wave to another biker to slam on their brakes for no reason while in front of you. It's not really an issue anymore because now I expect cagers to try and screw me over every chance they get so I'm prepared :-)

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Milanista
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
You laugh, but I'm serious. You would be amazed how many people pick the moment you wave to another biker to slam on their brakes for no reason while in front of you. It's not really an issue anymore because now I expect cagers to try and screw me over every chance they get so I'm prepared :-)
I will just node unless it is completely clear a head of me!! safety comes first

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I personally don't like leaving my helmet on my bike for any sort of extended period of time.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Whiskey

Quote:
Cool Thank you guys very much I got a clear picture of what to do with the helmet..
This whole convo. is very useful for where I got adducted about helmets, Hardly prices, sound level and power and not to forget the spelling lesson as well lol.

I see many people at school just leave their helmets hanging on their bikes so it should be fine but I will never leave it unlocked cuz my general rule is that easy money is not my money. But for sure cool to know...

One more thing. is there a specific signals that bikers use for each other? yesterday two riders just waved two fingers so I would like to know more about the biking culture...
Different places have different waves, nods & other odd ones.

where we drive on the left we usually don't wave but nod, the French stick out their leg from the knee down

A flash or 2 can mean there's a mobile speed camera up ahead, sometimes with a snapping a photo gesture to make sure they get the point

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #18
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Depending on where I am ill either carry my helment with me or leave it on my bike. For example i go to to schools during the day. My first ones kinda in the ghetto so i carry it with me. My base highschool is in a better place and is not surrounded by a town, but is surrounded by cameras.

Other times ill carry it with me is when i know or think its going to rain, or just feel like being a bada$$ that day carryin around a helment But yeah as whiskey said, thats exactly where to put it if leavin it on your bike.
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #19
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

Name: kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
generally its "two to the ground" representing the wheels of a motorcycle. Makes me wonder if I should do 1 finger up when someone is doing wheelies on public roads.

in northeast TN the wave is a low "ok" sign
mcnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:10 AM   #20
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

Name: kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

haha i'll try to keep that in mind and only use the flick when appropriate, although i think your 1 finger up would get my point across more clearly
mcnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:03 AM   #21
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Whilst you're at that Hardley can have 7 times the displacement, make 10 times the noise & twice the horsepower of a Ninja 250
You forgot about guzzling 2-3 times the gas and being half as much fun.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:21 AM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Why would anyone want steal a helmet that's covered with dead insects and smell like sweat? I leave my helmet hanging on the mirror, no one ever messes with my helmet.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:43 AM   #23
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

TL;DR
I live in a pretty safe area where sometimes I dont even lock my car, with windows down.

I used to always lock my helmet under the back seat, unless the weather is bad, or I would be gone a very long time. Since I got the fender eliminator, the back seat is a lot more trouble to get to click in, so I just dont want to fiddle with it for 5 minutes in the parking lot, so I just carry the helmet...

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM   #24
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

You guys are just as bad as those uneducated folk that make fun of the 250's and their riders. Hypocrisy at it's best.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM   #25
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

It depends. In the bike parking lot I take it with me because every bit of room helps. (Trust me, it's tight)

Sometimes I just leave it dangle off the handlebars or sit it on the ground.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Enfemus
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

I usually hang my helmet in the seat lock if I'm gonna be quick. Otherwise I usually take it with me because I don't trust people lol.
Enfemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #27
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

I never really leave my helmet on the bike. I just feel like some douchey squid would come along and just cut it off for no reason.

Maybe if i'm quickly grabbing some groceries, but I feel cooler when I walk around with my helmet
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM   #28
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
So Yesterday I rode my bike to school and had to walk to classes carrying my helmet. What really trigged me to think I never saw a biker walk with his/her helmet before. I wonder what is best way to do it? and is it really safe to leave it on the bike?

If you're going to use the helmet lock, I would suggest hanging it the other way, so that the opening is facing into the bike rather than up in the air. I rarely use the lock, and I'd never use it when I'm at class and won't be back for several hours. One good yank on the passenger seat and someone just scored a free helmet!

Old March 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #29
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I leave my helmet on the bike, along with my dead insect covered jacket and gloves.. they serve as extra bike security, the smellier the more effective.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM   #30
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

world famous Helmet Lok i got a black rubberized one with the cable so my jacket can be strung through

http://www.helmetlok.com/

GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM   #31
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
What's a helemet?

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM   #32
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
world famous Helmet Lok i got a black rubberized one with the cable so my jacket can be strung through

http://www.helmetlok.com/
Isn't this essentially the same concept as the passenger seat lock? Someone could just cut the strap and steal your helmet.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM   #33
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Isn't this essentially the same concept as the passenger seat lock? Someone could just cut the strap and steal your helmet.
i guess so, but if you use the cable you can string it through the chin bar for extra security
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM   #34
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

I basically hook the D Ring on the hooks inside the passenger seat and lock it in. I then twist it upwards to make it sit on the seat, just incase the weather decides to rain. It also looks more neat =]

Here's a pic of both my girl and my helm on it:
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:01 AM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
If you're going to use the helmet lock, I would suggest hanging it the other way, so that the opening is facing into the bike rather than up in the air. I rarely use the lock, and I'd never use it when I'm at class and won't be back for several hours. One good yank on the passenger seat and someone just scored a free helmet!
Yeah. Why let the hard surfaces scratch each other when everything on one side of the D-ring is designed to cushion? The pic in the OP shows someone doing it backwards.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Or a pic of someone making it easier to see what is being done.
The OP is a random passer-by who just noticed it that way.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:45 PM   #37
drvr5
ninjette.org member

Name: Carl

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Green+Black Special Edition

maybe I just have my quirks, but I don't let *any* helmet I own leave my sphere of control. My bike helmet is either on my head, in my hand, or in its happy place at home. My car helmet hangs from its hook or is in its bag at all times. If my hat gets damaged, I'd better know about it, not discover when I crash that the glass delaminated after a cage hit it in the parking lot as it was hanging from my bike. I've worn a helmet on an airplane because the stewardess got assy about me having too many carry-ons (suitcase, bag, helmet).

Bottom line- my brain is the only thing that makes me who I am. If I lose every limb and have to be fed through a straw, if my brain is still functional I'm still a person. I wont let anything jeopardize that.
drvr5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:43 AM   #38
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybolic View Post
I basically hook the D Ring on the hooks inside the passenger seat and lock it in. I then twist it upwards to make it sit on the seat, just incase the weather decides to rain. It also looks more neat =]

Here's a pic of both my girl and my helm on it:
I love that helmet! I think I might get the white one.
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #39
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I usually hang it on the mirror or just bring it to class and put it under my desk...forgot to mention that my university is in Flint, Mi. The #1 most dangerous city in the United States, second is Detroit...My helmet has never been cut or stolen guess i'm just lucky
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #40
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
...university is in Flint, Mi. The #1 most dangerous city in the United States, second to Detroit...
Wouldn't that make it the 2nd most dangerous city in the United States then