ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250

August 2013 trip to the Dragon!

hey everyone im currently planning for my big trip next summer down to the dragon. Ill be going with my brother on his 09 250r, my cousin on his 2001 vulcan 800 and myself on my 09 250r. So far the plan is to leave brampton friday night and head to my cousins in niagara falls ontario. satrurday morning we will head out, we planned to camp but now i realize that after a long day of riding the bike in august heat i will need water some how, and looking at the maps there doesnt seem to be much lakes and rivers ready for me to camp at so we are thinking motels/hotels or whatever. anyway the route:

Saturday: Niagara Falls Ontario to Buchanan State Forest PA (or somewhere in the area) 540km or 335mi. wanting to hit either the PA grand canyon on 44 (cousins idea) or stick with the 144 (my idea) which is better?

Sunday: Buchanan State Forest PA to Lynchburg VA 375km or 235mi. I have friends to stay with in Liberty University

Monday: Lynchburg VA to Asheville NC 462km or 233mi. staying with a friend won't work out so ill have to find a place.

Tuesday: Asheville NC to the Dragon 166km or 103mi. then we will spend the day at the dragon riding it. probably have to stay at the resort there for night

Wednesday: Dragon to Nashville TN 342km or 212mi. gotta get cowboy hat and boots.

Thursday: Nashville TN to Piqua OH 575km or 357mi.

Friday: Piqua OH to Port Rowan Ontairo 670km or 416mi. crossing through Sarnia, then staying at my grandparents, I know this day is really going to suck cuz it will be a long boring ride i expect, but we will be too close to staying with family to want to stop and get a motel.

Saturday/Sunday: Port Rowan Ontario to Brampton Ontario 164km or 103mi.

here's the maps link hopefully that works.

anyway, im just looking for advice on route, places to see, places to stay, places to eat, gas, anything you think of. if anyone has a hookup or an invite to spend the night we would love it. we are trying to do the trip fairly cheap so im also checking out couchsurfing. I know the trip is far away but im just so excited and our season here is pretty much over so im getting into winter mode. any advice is appreciated
smackenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
smackenz
ninjette.org member

dang that map thing didnt work, heres the straight link
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...via=3&t=m&z=11

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You need more than one day to ride the roads around the Dragon. It would be a shame to just ride that one road and miss out on all the other wonderful roller coasters in the area.

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You need more than one day to ride the roads around the Dragon. It would be a shame to just ride that one road and miss out on all the other wonderful roller coasters in the area.
i would love to but with work schedules only a week off can work, so i dont know what we would do, unless we scrapped nashville but we all wanted to stop there too. maybe in the morning we can get a ride around too

Old November 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
AndrewMack
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Hey, brother of the OP here...

Anyone got any tips on motels/hotels near any of the stops marked up on the map there?

This is going to be my biggest trip riding - can't wait!
AndrewMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #6
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

You could tighten up the square some, and probably hit more twisties by keeping in the mountains. Also that route from Columbus, OH to Flint, MI will be quite boring if slabbing it.

Also you can get cowboy gear in Knoxville or Chattanooga just as well as Nashville.
I live between Chatt and Nashville, maybe we ride together and grill some burgers or something... I may have enough points to get ya a hotel room, if it gets too late/or you guys tired.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #7
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

Knoxville here...if you need anything..pm me

Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:10 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The trip from Louisville to Cincinnati can be insanely fun! I say you add another day just to enjoy those roads. The backwoods of KY is my playground and some of the roads are nearly as good as the dragon except without the squids, cops, trucks and terrible run off.

Lemme know and I will ride that leg with you or if you need anything, I am here.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #9
AndrewMack
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the great advice and offers, guys! - much appreciated FOR SURE!

I'm gonna have to see if I can get 1 or 2 more days off work! I only have 2 weeks of vacation (first year with this company) but it seems like it would be worth it! Simon (my brother, the OP) and my cousin don't have to worry about work so it sucks being the one that forces us all home sooner than we'd like.

I'm sure plans will be changing constantly as we get advice and as new things come up - the trip's still 9 months away haha! - but if your offers are still up in August then I bet we'll take you up on 'em ha!

Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #10
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
You could tighten up the square some, and probably hit more twisties by keeping in the mountains. Also that route from Columbus, OH to Flint, MI will be quite boring if slabbing it.

Also you can get cowboy gear in Knoxville or Chattanooga just as well as Nashville.
I live between Chatt and Nashville, maybe we ride together and grill some burgers or something... I may have enough points to get ya a hotel room, if it gets too late/or you guys tired.
id definitely be interested in getting a local tour of the good roads so i will try to work it into the map, the only hard thing is i dont wanna use my phone in the states and get hammered with the roaming charges so ill have to figure somehting out. but its 9 months away haha

Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #11
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
The trip from Louisville to Cincinnati can be insanely fun! I say you add another day just to enjoy those roads. The backwoods of KY is my playground and some of the roads are nearly as good as the dragon except without the squids, cops, trucks and terrible run off.

Lemme know and I will ride that leg with you or if you need anything, I am here.
our schedule has us back in canada friday night, and back home on saturday, or sunday if we want to stay longer at grandparents, so right now we have room for an extra day of riding so bootin around the back twisties is very much do-able

Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
smackenz
ninjette.org member

we're looking at adding a section of the blue ridge parkway, probably from Lowgap all the way down to Asheville, we cant pass up such a beauty of a road when we're right there!

Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #14
smackenz
ninjette.org member

any reccomendations on the 144 vs the 44 in pensylvania?

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #15
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

If you ride the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) between Blowing Rock NC & Asheville NC there are some "great twisties" on the way that join the BRP. Rt. 221 from Blowing Rock to the base of Grandfather Mountain, back on the BRP South, take 226A (Diamondback) at Little Switzerland to 226/221 S to Tom's Creek Road to Rt. 80N (Devil's Whip) to the BRP, then south to Asheville. It only takes an additional 45 minutes of ride time and the twisties are "some" of the best in the area.
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring/carolina View Post
If you ride the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) between Blowing Rock NC & Asheville NC there are some "great twisties" on the way that join the BRP. Rt. 221 from Blowing Rock to the base of Grandfather Mountain, back on the BRP South, take 226A (Diamondback) at Little Switzerland to 226/221 S to Tom's Creek Road to Rt. 80N (Devil's Whip) to the BRP, then south to Asheville. It only takes an additional 45 minutes of ride time and the twisties are "some" of the best in the area.
And less RV's.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #17
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
And less RV's.
Yep!

There's another road Rt. 181 S that crosses the BRP at Pineola NC (between Blowing Rock & Asheville) and it's loads of fun. Lot's of sweepers. At the bottom there's a route through the foothills to Marion, NC.

Stopped at the top of 181 earlier this week for lunch with another Ninja 250 rider:

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #18
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yep!

There's another road Rt. 181 S that crosses the BRP at Pineola NC (between Blowing Rock & Asheville) and it's loads of fun. Lot's of sweepers. At the bottom there's a route through the foothills to Marion, NC.

Stopped at the top of 181 earlier this week for lunch with another Ninja 250 rider:
hmmm i will have to check that out but the newest plan is to ride a lot of the BRP. it would have us leaving liberty and riding to Lowgap, then taking the BRP all the way to asheville. it turned a 5 hour ride into 8 hours but i think it will be worth it. do you know if there are gas stations and food along the BRP or do i need to get off? thanks

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #19
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
hmmm i will have to check that out but the newest plan is to ride a lot of the BRP. it would have us leaving liberty and riding to Lowgap, then taking the BRP all the way to asheville. it turned a 5 hour ride into 8 hours but i think it will be worth it. do you know if there are gas stations and food along the BRP or do i need to get off? thanks
There's gas & food just off the BRP at Pineola & Blowing Rock NC. The Diamondback Inn is at Little Switzerland NC, last time I checked it was $69 per night. There's a WalMart & gas station 5 minutes from Little Switzerland.

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #20
smackenz
ninjette.org member

here we want to add in rt 56 in VA

Liberty to Asheville via BRP

on to the dragon

to Chatanooga to meet up, thinking about hopping accross to GA and AL, just to say i been there

up to piqua, with another meetup in Kentucky planned

then the homeward bound really crappy stretch

my link got way to long so i had to break it up

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #21
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There's gas & food just off the BRP at Pineola & Blowing Rock NC. The Diamondback Inn is at Little Switzerland NC, last time I checked it was $69 per night. There's a WalMart & gas station 5 minutes from Little Switzerland.
so for the most part there is nothing around, i better not miss the signs ha. what do you think about taking the brp for that long? good idea or no?

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #22
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

If you happen change plans to ride the BRP between Blowing Rock & Asheville let me know and would be happy to show you twisties off of the BRP as nice as the Dragon in route to Asheville.

The BRP is a beautiful ride, but many roads that join the BRP are great twisties!

Here's some photos of the Diamondback Inn (part of Switzerland Inn) with covered bike parking.

https://switzerlandinn.com/diamondback.html

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #23
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so for the most part there is nothing around, i better not miss the signs ha. what do you think about taking the brp for that long? good idea or no?
Some of the areas are remote, but worth the trip. The BRP can be a great part of the trip if you have time. Average speeds from 35MPH to 45MPH. I normally use the BRP to get to the next twisty.

Here's some more info on the Diamondback (Rt.226A) & Devil's Whip (Rt.80), too!

http://www.diamondbacknc.com/route.html

http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.html

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #24
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Some of the areas are remote, but worth the trip. The BRP can be a great part of the trip if you have time. Average speeds from 35MPH to 45MPH. I normally use the BRP to get to the next twisty.

Here's some more info on the Diamondback (Rt.226A) & Devil's Whip (Rt.80), too!

http://www.diamondbacknc.com/route.html

http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.html
my cousin wanted to hit the diamondback i know, and looking on the maps i see so many good roads to ride, but im thinking i can take a pretty sweet ride on the brp and actually use it to get somewhere which is awesome so i can have a load of fun riding while getting to my destinations. we will see how we are feeling once we get into asheville, maybe rest up for a bit then meet up for a tour i dont know, its still 8.5 months away

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #25
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
my cousin wanted to hit the diamondback i know, and looking on the maps i see so many good roads to ride, but im thinking i can take a pretty sweet ride on the brp and actually use it to get somewhere which is awesome so i can have a load of fun riding while getting to my destinations. we will see how we are feeling once we get into asheville, maybe rest up for a bit then meet up for a tour i dont know, its still 8.5 months away
Know what you mean. My wife & I are planning a trip out west, lots to think about.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #26
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Also there is Freeborne's Eatery and Lodge in Laurel Springs, NC, just one block off of the BRP. There's a sign that says RT 18 Laurel Springs, right on the Pkwy.

They have rooms as well as a campsite. May need to book realy early though.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #27
AndrewMack
ninjette.org member

If I can get an extra day or 2 off work that would give us some more flexibility when it comes to taking less-direct routes for sure. Unfortunately that's something I can't be sure about until maybe May or June.

This is gonna be the longest Winter ever haha! - no hockey to watch, no sports to play (recovering from a popped spleen), and a BEAUTY of a bike trip to taunt me... - my first bike trip, to boot.

At least there's football for a little while longer.

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #28
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

I concur with everything Bill (exploring/carolina) says.

Mid week in August shouldn't be too bad on the parkway. There is a campground with showers at Mt. Pisgah Campground right on the parkway about an hour or so south of Asheville. A lot of campgrounds in the area offer showers , but Pisgah is the only Parkway Campground with them. There is camping (as well as rooms) at the Deals Gap MC Resort with showers... I think it's $12.00+ tax for 2, 18 for 3 and 24 or 4 without elctricity or ad 4, 6, 8 buck with. Make reservations well in advance. Deals Gap MC Resort.

I'd also push the ride through PA and get further south, and then hop the parkway. It can be ridden in two days (446miles) and ending the day at Cherokee puts you an hour closer to the Dragon. If you ride it End to End you become and End to Ender and get a special certifcate...

Try for the extra dayor two... a once (???) in a lifetime trip.

I'll try to hook up with you guys when your coming through NC (maybe meet you in VA). Keep us posted.
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #29
smackenz
ninjette.org member

my newest map updates has us riding almost the entire blueridge parkway plus skyline dr, we will also be riding cherehola and i am still super pumped

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #30
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

What are your anticipated dates???

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #31
hillbillyhank
ninjette.org member

Name: Hank

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250; 2006 50th anniversary edition R6

Posting here for future reasons. AKA, I would like to go as well and have a lot of time to round up the rest of my riding group in the next few months to plan this to make it a very exciting trip!

Old January 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Hopefully ill be at the dragon in May/June, but just passing by since my gf doesnt want "do any crazy twisty roads and die", even though im the one driving so i think ill still swing to the dragon.

But i will also be planning a seperate trip to the dragon with a couple friends in August, dates i am unsure of but it will prob be a 5 or 6 day trip for us. 2 days to get there and 2 days back. At least a full day there, maybe it will be along the same time as us, were coming from CT
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #33
AndrewMack
ninjette.org member

@Old Guy on a '08 - we're looking at the 3rd or 4th week of August. My brother (smackenz) & our cousin are both aiming to get back from working out west within the first week of August. I've talked it over at work already (a couple guys ride... including my boss!) and I have the OK to be flexible on when I take my vacation.

@hillbillyhank - I can't say how excited I am for this trip! Planning this trip has just made me want Summer to come SO bad! - I wish you all the luck in getting the boys together! Maybe we'll see you there, eh!

@Bigballsofpaint - I don't think I'd take a passenger through The Dragon but good luck with that. Or... maybe your girlfriend rides as well? - in which case you're a Fn lucky guy, mate! Hope we'll see ya out there, too!

... well... now I won't be able to focus @ work! haha

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #34
Bigballsofpaint

MY gf rides, she has a 250 of her own but since she went down she hasnt really ridden the bike. She should be taking the msf class in spring.

As for riding the dragon 2 up, im not trying to canyon carve the thing, ill go the speed limitish and just have fun with it. Riding with her is more of seeing the sights and enjoying the time together, if i was going myself its an entirely different story.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #35
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Hopefully ill be at the dragon in May/June, but just passing by since my gf doesnt want "do any crazy twisty roads and die", even though im the one driving so i think ill still swing to the dragon.

But i will also be planning a seperate trip to the dragon with a couple friends in August, dates i am unsure of but it will prob be a 5 or 6 day trip for us. 2 days to get there and 2 days back. At least a full day there, maybe it will be along the same time as us, were coming from CT
Keep us posted on both the trips. I'd love to meet up someplace if not at the Dragon. So some good roadsthat aren't "too twisty" but still alot of fun!

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #36
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
MY gf rides, she has a 250 of her own but since she went down she hasnt really ridden the bike. She should be taking the msf class in spring.

As for riding the dragon 2 up, im not trying to canyon carve the thing, ill go the speed limitish and just have fun with it. Riding with her is more of seeing the sights and enjoying the time together, if i was going myself its an entirely different story.
Some of the corners on the dragon will be a low side (or a highside) at the speed limit.

Do you know what route you'll be taking yet?

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #37
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Going to Daytona again oin the 2 Fitty

Would love to do the Deals Gap trip in August but coming 2nd week of March is Daytona. Anyonme driving their bikes down?

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #38
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Some of the corners on the dragon will be a low side (or a highside) at the speed limit.

Do you know what route you'll be taking yet?
I have no idea yet, to be honest her mother is on her case daily and is offering to pay for her flight so she doesnt ride the bike. Were going to kansas for my brothers wedding and i wanted to make a trip of it, well see if it happens.

But either way in august me and some friends will be going down to the dragon regardless

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #39
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

If I have all my ducks in a row, myself and a group will be out there in mid May.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #40
smackenz
ninjette.org member

so how early do i need to book a room at the deals gap resort? im going to be there mid/late august. should i be booking now?