ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition

Exclamation New rider looking for safety upgrades

Hey People the name
Is eddy newbi first time rider and just bought my first 2010 ninja 250r
I'm looking to upgrade my Stock lights to brighter maybe HID lights need some
Advice on what direction to take. What's the best and simply. Way for me to do the installation my self. Thought about 8000k HIDs
But want some advice.

I'm also looking to upgrade my stock exhaust. Maybe a slip on!
What's should I get I was thinking MGP,two brother.
I woul like to do the work my self.

What's can you guys tell me some advice.
NinjaBoyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #2
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Not sure if I'd call HIDs a "safety upgrade" unless they are done correctly with changing out the headlight reflectors to projectors. If anything they will just scatter light in front of you versus projecting the light in a controlled manner. Also they will most likely cause glare and blind other divers.

As far as slip ons go and you dot mind loud check out the Dan Moto exhaust. It's cheap, sounds good with the baffle, and gets delivered from China in less than a week.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #3
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

I switched over to the Philips Xtreme Vision (product code 12972) and its brighter than the stock bulbs.

Did not want to go with HIDs since i rarely ride in the dark. Mine is dedicated to weekends and some touring once in a few months.

Regarding a slip-on pipe, i would suggest the M4 exhaust over a growler (MGP or others). Growlers are very loud and you'll want something softer in sometime

The M4 has a nice deep bassy rumble and kinda loud too but not as loud as a growler. I love the stock sound so no slip-on's for me but i did suggest the M4 to my friend and he loves it.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #4
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the reply guys
. So those HIDs would be a hazard to others? So if I'd do the whole projector upgrade it be better? I live in Los Angeles and roads are horrible and crazy drivers and I want to be seen and see any hazards up in front I'm a new rider first bike and I want to be safe and the stock lights are not really comforting. Any other suggestions for headlights?

And for the exhaust I'm not looking for a complet exhaust just a slip on. Los Angeles is crazy and the stock is way to quiet.

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Switching to HID bulbs on my pregen was a cheap way for me to spot deer much earlier than before. Much better vision, and easier to be seen. I adjusted the headlight down just a little bit and never had a problem with glare or blinding people. Then when it stopped working one night in the rain, I questioned the overall saftey benefit. My friend with a newgen has an hid bulb for his lowbeam, and has never had any problems with it. His also doesn't have any problems with blinding oncoming traffic. My other bike also got an HID and that does seem to be a bit too bright for oncoming traffic. Seems to depend on manufacturer, but the belief that hids blind people with stock reflectors is unfounded. As far as exhaust goes, just get a better horn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Bright colored gear or reflective gear FTW
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

So what would be the best choice for HIDs 6000k or 8000k.
And what about price? Is the installation hard?

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

proper installation is a retrofit. search in the farkles section, the thread is here somewhere.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Hi Eduardo. I have both HID headlights as well as a full Area P exhaust system. I go to school in Hollywood and usually ride up there at least once a week. I can show you my bike if you want to get some ideas or learn anything. Welcome to the forum.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBoyEddy View Post
So what would be the best choice for HIDs 6000k or 8000k.
And what about price? Is the installation hard?
6000K, $50, no.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Jatan

Name: Jatan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250/300 (some day)

Higher up you go may look cool, but it won't be much help when the ground is wet and you can't see the road that well -- I would stick with 5000k or 6000k

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Ask a local physics geek to explain the difference between spectral lines emmitted by electrons falling to lower energy orbitals and black body radiation temperatures. Eventually you'll understand both why 5000K doesn't even apply to HID lights, and why it's also the best choice. (sorry, but I'm not going to type all that on my old fashioned phone's keypad.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #13
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Hi Eduardo. I have both HID headlights as well as a full Area P exhaust system. I go to school in Hollywood and usually ride up there at least once a week. I can show you my bike if you want to get some ideas or learn anything. Welcome to the forum.

That be dope. Im goig to need some help with these HIDs some pointers on installation. Area p sounds killer!
Thanks for the help. I just got my bike it's a 2010 250r special edition looks like yours but with the designed on the fairing.

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBoyEddy View Post
..........I'm a new rider first bike and I want to be safe and the stock lights are not really comforting. Any other suggestions for headlights?

And for the exhaust I'm not looking for a complet exhaust just a slip on. Los Angeles is crazy and the stock is way to quiet.
Not to kill your ideas and enthusiasm, Eduardo, but no matter what you do, people (other users of the road) will not see you or hear your bike.

You must be alert and defensive at all times.

Your first six moths of riding are going to be as difficult as dangerous.
During that time, you will learn to operate your bike like an extension of your own body, with no thinking involved (just instinct and reflexes).

Only after that point, you will be able to concentrate 100% of your attention on traffic.

Ride as slow as practical, and do not ride at night or in rainy days.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Not to kill your ideas and enthusiasm, Eduardo, but no matter what you do, people (other users of the road) will not see you or hear your bike.

During that time, you will learn to operate your bike like an extension of your own body, with no thinking involved (just instinct and reflexes).

Only after that point, you will be able to concentrate 100% of your attention on traffic.

^^ this

Safety upgrades is to the rider
MSF if not already taken
Full gear (bright is best but at least some reflective tape or both)
Learning when NOT to ride
Learning and always doing a preride bike check
Common sense and self control

Common safety upgrades to the bike
Front/Rear light modulator
Better than stock tires
Better than stock mirrors
Brighter headlight(s) to see farther down the road at night
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #16
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

I agree with the whole thing or no matter what you do to the bike you just won't be seen. But if you truly want to increase your chances of POSSIBLY being seen I'd recommend headlight/taillight modulators, Bright/reflective clothing, better horn, and reflective wheel strips. Even then regardless of if you think you can been seen from space, ride like everyone else on the road is blind.

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #17
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

At the end of the day, the ultimate safety upgrade is don't leave the house. After that, if you must leave the house and enter a vehicle, get in a car.

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
Not sure if I'd call HIDs a "safety upgrade" unless they are done correctly with changing out the headlight reflectors to projectors. If anything they will just scatter light in front of you versus projecting the light in a controlled manner. Also they will most likely cause glare and blind other divers.

As far as slip ons go and you dot mind loud check out the Dan Moto exhaust. It's cheap, sounds good with the baffle, and gets delivered from China in less than a week.

So I purchase the exhaust very good price. How was the installation? How hard is it? Km doing it my self?

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

It was really easy to install. The only issues I had were that I had to drill the holes in the bracket bigger to fit the stock bolts, and the bolt on the clamp that attachs the can to the pipe broke cause I over torqued it and it's made of cheap metal. Went to lowes and bought another one and was good to go.

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

100% right

Quote:
But now you're talking total bollox.

Riding in adverse conditions makes you a better rider, no two ways about it.
Learn to ride in the wet & in the dark, if you only know how to ride in dry sunny conditions and you get caught in rain what do you do? park the bike at the side of the road & walk

I come from a country where it rains regularly & is further north than any city in Canada, and I'm shocked by the amount of "**** I went down cuz it rained" that I see here. Riding in wet weather is not that difficult, you need decent tyres, leave twice as much space at least, don't be an idiot with the throttle (even if you are the Ninja 250 is fairly forgiving) & keep it as upright as possible.
I've ridden through rain that left my leathers soaked through for 3 days, I needed a hot shower afterwards and it wasn't exactly the best fun I've had on 2 wheels, but I got through with no problems.

Riding in the dark... you have lights right? ride to a pace where you can stop in the space you can see (~45mph with stock lights & no other lighting) If it's twisty and there's a cage ahead you have a decent idea of the turns ahead by observing their tail-lights. High beam on if there's nothing close in front or coming head on, low beams if there is.

I put a 6000k HID in as my low beam because I was commuting on unlit country back-roads after dark (and in the wet) and it let me see that bit further ahead (and lights up any hi vis markings like the ones on cop cages & speed cameras or those bloody sui-cyclists )

The horn is there to make your presence known to blind cagers... use it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

@Whiskey - I will agree that riding in adverse conditions will make you a better rider.

However... there is a time and place for all things. Eduardo stated he was a first time rider who just bought his bike. Riding in low traction or less than optimal conditions would not be recommended until the basics are covered. So Motofool's advice has merit based on Eduardo's current stated skill level.

I know my first couple of clumsy rides on my first bike were not at night nor in the rain.

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
@Whiskey - I will agree that riding in adverse conditions will make you a better rider.

However... there is a time and place for all things. Eduardo stated he was a first time rider who just bought his bike. Riding in low traction or less than optimal conditions would not be recommended until the basics are covered. So Motofool's advice has merit based on Eduardo's current stated skill level.

I know my first couple of clumsy rides on my first bike was not at night nor in the rain.
Hold off for a couple of weeks maybe, 6 months is too long to limit yourself to dry 'safe' conditions

Perhaps it's just that I learned in less than perfect conditions that I think everyone should learn how to control their bike in all likely conditions, to the point of specifically going out for a spin when it's wet out so you know how the bike behaves.

Learning to ride in the rain means that if you get caught out you know "I've done this before I can do it again, it's not that bad" and not think "Oh f*ck now i'm going to crash because I don't know how to ride in the wet"

I don't ride when it snows, as the county council couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, never mind snow ploughs & salted roads for the couple of times a year it happens. I was caught out twice, first time I was nervous but ok until I got to the top of my road with a steep hill & sheet ice all the way down (I got off the bike, got my mates & we walked it the last 100m) second time I was on fast open road & got in to work looking like a biker snowman, but I knew that I had done it before & not to panic
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

For sure, you can't "really" put a time on it. Your ready when your ready.