Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 12th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
A warning for fellow migraine sufferers

I just got over a major scare. Seriously thought I was having a stroke!

I had been watching tv and got up to go get a drink of water and to take the trash out. When I went to grab my water bottle my left arm suddenly went completely floppy numb. I was frantically trying to shake it out to no avail when my brain said "hello!!! stroke symptoms!!! call 911!" I called and explained my situation. The total numbness only lasted like 30 seconds tops but while I was talking to 911 my whole left side went tingly numb from the shoulder down to my toes. They checked me out and told me it wasn't a stroke since I was able to walk to the door for them and talk and my face wasn't drooping but I was pretty scared.

After they left I remembered that earlier in the day I had experienced a slight headache with visual aura. I'll get that once in a while and it's normally just a signal that a migraine is on the way. After doing a little research the two situations actually go together to form what is called a Hemiplegic Migraine. Quite scary, but the common symptoms are headache/migraine with visual aura, sudden numbness down one side, and a history of migraines.

So if any of you get migraines, hopefully this type won't happen to you one day, but I would look it up just in case. That way if it does you don't freak out like I did. Definitely still call 911 cuz you never know if it's a stroke but it might not be. I was so freaked my pulse was 108 and BP was 140/87 (I'm always like 112/70).
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old July 12th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Wow. Glad you're ok.!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Happy it was "less than more serious"...

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Good that you got checked out and it was "only" a migraine headache.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #5
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Thanks everybody

The paramedics were all cynical and acting like I was freaking over nothing. I wanted to ask them what they would do if out of nowhere half their body went numb. I'm glad I'm ok, and I know what to look out for now just in case it happens again but I sure hope it doesn't.

Old July 13th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Paramedics would stay calm, in order to keep you calm. If the paramedics freak out, you as the patient are more likely to also get upset. We take emotional cues from each other, and if someone else looks worried, we think there's something to be worried about.

They shouldn't dismiss your fears, though.

I'm glad you're ok!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #7
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
I get the "visual aura" thing on occasion where one eye briefly goes almost completely blurry. It usually lasts no more than 15 minutes from when I notice it starting to happen to being back to completely clear again. I asked my eye doctor about it and she said that it was actually a migraine but I was one of the lucky ones becasuse I don't get the headaches that other people do, only the blurry vision in one eye. I can still do almost anything when it happens, but it's pretty distracting so I suppose if I were on a motorcycle when it happened I would pull over and wait till it cleared up.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #8
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
I get the "visual aura" thing on occasion where one eye briefly goes almost completely blurry. It usually lasts no more than 15 minutes from when I notice it starting to happen to being back to completely clear again. I asked my eye doctor about it and she said that it was actually a migraine but I was one of the lucky ones becasuse I don't get the headaches that other people do, only the blurry vision in one eye. I can still do almost anything when it happens, but it's pretty distracting so I suppose if I were on a motorcycle when it happened I would pull over and wait till it cleared up.
When I get it it's the sparkly squiggly lines in one or both of my eyes. It is pretty distracting even though it only lasts a few minutes. The crazy thing about migraines is that some people can have them without the head pain. I've had the migraines with aura for several years now but this is the first time I've ever experienced the full on hemiplegic migraine. My opinion is that it was caused by the fact that I had just started drinking boatloads of water with the squirt bottle flavorings added to it. Those flavorings have sucralose and sucralose is known to trigger migraines in people that suffer them. Straight water only now and I will always have to check labels on what I eat or drink for sucralose. As for working, driving, riding when I do get my bike, I'll just have to watch out for the aura. I usually only get it a few times a year. Now I know that if I get it that I'll just have to be real careful for the couple hours after. No riding, and if I'm driving to pull over immediately.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I believe you. Doctors and paramedics can be dicks sometimes. I think they get into that line of work because they figure "blood n guts are cool. I can stomach seeing people in pain. so why not?" which stems from a lack of empathy for the pain of others, not the desire to help them.

At the end of the day, though, I'm glad they're all there.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #10
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Glad you're okay.
This happens to me once in awhile as well, but it's both of my arms that go numb & tingly, and my fingers/hands freeze up. I also get really dizzy/nauseated during this time.
I've gone to the doctor several times for different things related to it and they've never found anything wrong with me. I also faint sometimes as well. Only one time have I ever had numb arms and fainted at the same time.
It's never happened while driving or at work or out in public by myself. The few times it did happen in public, I was always with someone.
I do get severe headaches and quite a few different kinds, which has been happening my whole life. I get pretty bad motion sickness too, even if it's just on a swing going back & forth.
No one has ever found anything wrong so.. what can ya do but suffer?
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've gotten them a few times before. i mostly get ocular migraines... AKA scintillating scatomas. annoying, and scary if you dont know its harmless.

Old July 15th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i've gotten them a few times before. i mostly get ocular migraines... AKA scintillating scatomas. annoying, and scary if you dont know its harmless.
Wow, ocular migraines do sound scary.

The unfortunate thing is that there must not be much money in migraine research. At least not with these rare types like ocular and hemiplegic. All of the articles I've read on the hemiplegic just state that no current research is being done and the condition is rare. Nice....

Old July 15th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #13
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodancer View Post
Glad you're okay.
This happens to me once in awhile as well, but it's both of my arms that go numb & tingly, and my fingers/hands freeze up. I also get really dizzy/nauseated during this time.
I've gone to the doctor several times for different things related to it and they've never found anything wrong with me. I also faint sometimes as well. Only one time have I ever had numb arms and fainted at the same time.
It's never happened while driving or at work or out in public by myself. The few times it did happen in public, I was always with someone.
I do get severe headaches and quite a few different kinds, which has been happening my whole life. I get pretty bad motion sickness too, even if it's just on a swing going back & forth.
No one has ever found anything wrong so.. what can ya do but suffer?
I'm glad that you have always been with someone when it happens to you. I don't really have anybody, I'm on my own unless in public or work. Please be careful if you have had the numbness and fainting. I've read instances of people with hemiplegic migraines fainting and then going into a coma for a few days each time they have one It's reading stuff like that that makes me a bit twitchy.

Old July 16th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Wow, ocular migraines do sound scary.

The unfortunate thing is that there must not be much money in migraine research. At least not with these rare types like ocular and hemiplegic. All of the articles I've read on the hemiplegic just state that no current research is being done and the condition is rare. Nice....
i usually find someone who smokes and smoke one of their cigarettes. it makes it go away in about 5 minutes. something about blood vessels constricting, i donno. but it works

Old July 16th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #15
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
i usually find someone who smokes and smoke one of their cigarettes. it makes it go away in about 5 minutes. something about blood vessels constricting, i donno. but it works
That's good. I smoke but I think I'll try to avoid them while going through one of mine. They say the reason they don't like using some common migraine medications for them is because constricting the blood vessels during one could lead to an actual stroke. So I don't know, I'm going to try what is recommended, avoid known triggers and keep as stress free as possible.

Old July 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
............ AKA scintillating scatomas. annoying, and scary if you dont know its harmless.
About ten years ago, I started suffering one of those, simultaneously in both eyes, at least once a week, but were never followed by a headache.
Many times, I had to stop a trip because I could not see other than some peripherial areas.
They lasted about 20 minutes.

I seldom have those now, but strong headaches, especially if my wake up time changes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote