ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

TRON wheels

Hey everyone,

Finally got in all my supplies to test out the Lunasee concept for glowing rims. The result did come out pretty nice on the front wheel, and it also does look decent during the day. However, not using rim tape, I have come into some problems (which were foreseeable). The tape isn't much a fan of the circular rim shape, so I do have bumps along the inner part of the rim. Also, I took it out for a 10ish minute ride to test how reactive the tape was, and when I came back, some parts of the tape came off and were folded up over the rest of the tape. This didn't cause any kind of an issue with the glow factor, but the question remains of how well will this tape hold up. To remedy this, I am considering getting some pre curved rim tape off ebay and using some glow in the dark spray paint on it so it will glow. As long as the paint can adhere and will glow well, this hopefully will work out, as the paint adheres clear, so I'll have green rim tape during the day, and it will glow green at night. Anyone have any thoughts on how plausible this actually is? I've never worked with actual rim tape, so I'm not how the material behaves.

Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Im thinking glo-wire....but where to mount the batteries. Hmmm
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Im thinking glo-wire....but where to mount the batteries. Hmmm
magnetic induction charging! Put a big magnet on the fork and a coil on the rim some how

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I have a friend in Charleston SC who is a ham radio guy. He used to run 600watts on 20meters (14mhz) in his car. Just for fun, he'd pull up under the local bingo parlor's front foyer where they had loads of neon lights and keyup. It would light up all the neon on the entire front of the building. Once, he had an 8 foot fluorescent tube with him and keyed up and it lit up like a light saber. Ohh and if the humidity was just right it would make a purple corona discharge off the tip of his antenna that modulated with his voice.

So, put 600watts of RF on your bike and neon tubes around your rims and wa-la... troncycle wheels.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
I have a friend in Charleston SC who is a ham radio guy. He used to run 600watts on 20meters (14mhz) in his car. Just for fun, he'd pull up under the local bingo parlor's front foyer where they had loads of neon lights and keyup. It would light up all the neon on the entire front of the building. Once, he had an 8 foot fluorescent tube with him and keyed up and it lit up like a light saber. Ohh and if the humidity was just right it would make a purple corona discharge off the tip of his antenna that modulated with his voice.

So, put 600watts of RF on your bike and neon tubes around your rims and wa-la... troncycle wheels.
I have no idea what your saying. Still and yet, I like it.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
I have no idea what your saying. Still and yet, I like it.
Hahahah I was thinking the exact same thing! I believe it to be a sort of radio induction (similar to the magnetic induction which was previously mentioned)?

I'm quite satisfied with the result, the only issue I'm having is with the tape, as it doesn't seem like it will hold in the long run (as it is not rim tape/automotive tape). Still waiting to hear back from some companies to see if their rim tapes can be painted over

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Ovinus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Haha I also decided to get some tron wheels. They like to photo-bomb other bikes pictures to make them feel sad. I need to get some more pictures...never really thought about taking some just for the tron aspect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0515.jpg (61.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0368.jpg (128.3 KB, 19 views)
Ovinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Just posting an update as I finally got around to doing the back wheel. Definitely satisfied with the way they came out!

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #9
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

That is actually pretty cool.

Old July 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Ovinus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I believe this is what you would need to achieve this tron wheel design using faraday's law with magnets. http://www.gotwind.org/diy/Axial_Flux_Alternator.htm

Looks intriguing. I may see what I can rig up.
Ovinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM   #11
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Name: Shell

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 -

I like the tron wheels, but you guys are getting too scientific. Magnets and Faraday's law, pfft.
How about some glow in the magic markers, or crayons with charged particles of pixie dust?

I'll check back once there's a watered-down method of achieving it.

Old January 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidShell View Post
I like the tron wheels, but you guys are getting too scientific. Magnets and Faraday's law, pfft.
How about some glow in the magic markers, or crayons with charged particles of pixie dust?

I'll check back once there's a watered-down method of achieving it.
That's all I did. I put UV LED pods on the forks, and glow in the dark tape on the rims. The UV pods charge the tape, and the wheels glow TRON style. Haha no magnets or anything too complex

Edit: Forgot to mention, the idea is the same as Lunasee: http://www.lunasee.com/?page_id=510
However, their kit costs $200 (last time I checked). Get your own materials off the internet and you can get a similar result for much cheaper.

Old January 1st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #13
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maielstrom View Post
That's all I did. I put UV LED pods on the forks, and glow in the dark tape on the rims. The UV pods charge the tape, and the wheels glow TRON style. Haha no magnets or anything too complex
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #14
rocka81
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 Ninja

i have the blue tron wheel kit on my bike, its from Rhok (in australia) the kit was already installed but the same uv lights on the inside of the forks and swingarm and glowing rim tape. The tape comes in curved sections. When you order you give your wheel size to get the correct curve. The kit over here is $144 local or $166 international.

http://www.rhok.com.au/wheel%20lights.htm
rocka81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maielstrom View Post
Ok, dumb question. Can you post a pic of the pods attached to your forks? Having a hard time picturing it.

The only UV light that is coming to mind are little push button ones which definitely won't work. That is an awesome idea and I'd like to try it out.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
rocka81
ninjette.org member

these are the 2 on my forks

Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Cool! Thanks. I'll have to hunt those little things up.

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #18
rocka81
ninjette.org member

i was looking through Ebay earlier and found a 5 pack of LED pods and wiring (the same as pictured but with chrome finish) for $13.99. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy the glowing rim tape from though apart from the people selling kits.
But if you can find the tape, you could do this mod pretty cheap. $16 for lights + a switch then whatever the tape costs.

Old January 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Found the black housing. Same seller on ebay but listed under Any Color LED found here.
(Sorry about the mobile version, on my phone at the moment.

I bought the glow in the dark Duck Tape sheets from Wal-Mart. Going to give that a try as it works when I plunge my garage into darkness.

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #20
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Hadn't seen the new posts, awesome to see others liking the idea! I mounted mine similar to the ones posted, the only issue is figuring out where to mount the back ones. Mine had stick pads on them, but I also ran zip ties through the screw holes to be certain they won't move. I'm currently at school and away from my bike, but I'll try to get some pics going when I get back.

As far as the tape, I currently have on gaffer's tape (tape used in stage production to mark staircases backstage and such). Works really well, the only issue is that regular tape wants to go in a straight line, and bunches up when being applied in a circle. For Christmas, I got glow in the dark rim tape from http://www.therimskin.com/ which sells all sorts of rim tapes for bicycles and motorcycles. I cannot verify the brightness of this tape, as the temperature was hovering around the 30s while I was back home, so I'm waiting for it to warm up before applying it. Only thing with theRimSkin is that it costs $50 for a full set of glow in the dark motorcycle rim tape (yeahhhh it's expensive), but it should look decent when it's on.

Edit: And cost wise, you can def get the materials for less than $30 through ebay and online shopping

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #22
Grassigrass
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

Alright so here is my dilemma,
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tT365...%3DtT365t4d0W0
This company doesn't make red. I have a 08 red 250 and although I may be able to create my own. I know this looks good and works where mine would be iffy. Sooo that video is the only orange example I could find. I need advise if that orange would look bad with red. I'm thinking no because it will be dark but orange tape on the rims during the day? Hmmmm
Grassigrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #23
rocka81
ninjette.org member

The tape may not be orange through the day, I have the aqua uv tape (you can see the colour reflecting back onto the LED pods) but the tape is white. Maybe send them an email to check.